Are your taxes fair? Most say yes

Mari Lemelson of Edison, N.J., said, "I have a big problem with the millionaires, at least what I understand to be the millionaires' tax breaks."

Perfect... iow "I have a big problem because I am told to just don't ask me to understand or explain why."

That sums up 90% of the conservatives on this site.

There's no way on earth it's fair that 50% of the people pay ZERO income tax and some get rebates on the ZEro they pay. Not fair at all.

AND....like Warren Buffet says....it's not fair that the rich pay less in percentage than their secretaries.

Warren doesn't earn an income. So of course it's possible for one of his employees to pay more income tax than he does but that employee doesn't pay capital gains does she?

There's no way on earth it's fair that 50% of the people pay ZERO income tax and some get rebates on the ZEro they pay. Not fair at all.

AND....like Warren Buffet says....it's not fair that the rich pay less in percentage than their secretaries.

Warren doesn't earn an income. So of course it's possible for one of his employees to pay more income tax than he does but that employee doesn't pay capital gains does she?
15% tax is pretty low for billionaires, don't you think?

Help me out here...and without spin...

I have been earning a fair ncome over the years...between my wife and I, our household income has been anywahere from about 100K when we were first marriedi n the mid 80's to as much as 500K One good year)...with the norm over the last 5 years in the 250K range...with last year being a bomb...

However, what I dont understand is this talk about tax loopholes and unecessary write-offs.

I get to write off interest on my first and second mortgages on my primary residence
I get to write off my real estate taxes
I get to write off my donations to non profit organizations.
I get to write off one of my cars as it is used for business in a non commuting way

I also have tax deferred items...but these are not tax breaks...simply deferred until I have access to the money...then I will be taxed.

Now, that being said...exactly what do I get to write off that others are not allowed to write off becuase they do not make as much money as I do?

Sure...you can say my donations (about 15K a year), they can not afford to make those donations.....but it is not like I am using that money for self serving purposes...not let me write it off and I will likely only be able to donate half the amount....

SO what is it that someone does not get to write off that I do?

No. I don't think more than 15% of anyone's income should be confiscated by the government.

If you have a problem with the definitions in the tax code then that's another topic entirely.

W2 income is treated differently for a reason. There is simply more of it to tax than any other type of income.

Why do you think it should be higher? More to the point... why do you even care one way or another? What's it to you?

Last edited:
Why this obsession over how much money should be confiscated from you fellow Americans while totally glossing over the fact that 40+% pay nothing in income taxes?

Forum List

Back