Are your local schools too big to teach?

If all your schools are teaching then vouchers are not needed huh?

Vouchers dont solve the problem asshole.

Now call me any name you wish but toughen up and man up and PAY what it would cost to teach our kids and quit with the bandage solutions.

Now call me any name you wish but toughen up and man up and PAY what it would cost to teach our kids and quit with the bandage solutions.

you should go back and get your GED.

with time and the right kind of help, i'm positive you could construct a simple declarative sentence.

some day

Once again facts mean nothing to the right.

They just cant handle facts they dont like so they steer their positions into idiot land

school vouchers will do nothing to teach our kids

Ignorance at it's best.

Plead your case asshole

At the very least, school vouchers provide families who may not otherwise be able to afford it more choices in terms of where their child could potentially go do school? How could you be against a policy that can expand ones options so greatly especially when it comes to something as important as education?

ITS A FUCKING BADAID!

It is not a solution like building schools that actually teach huh?

Just going to ignore the scientific data that was collected and anlysed?

Why does the right hate anything done with intelligence?

Just going to ignore the scientific data that was collected and anlysed?

Why does the right hate anything done with intelligence?

the idea that you and intelligence have anything in common is like a cherry on top of the nonsense sundae that is you.

you truly are the gift that keeps on giving

NJ has 661 school districts and spends a fortune on education. Poor kids are still dropping out and shooting each other in the streets.

Life must be so simple for simpled minded folks like TM. That kind of ignorance is bliss in a child. Not so much for an adult.

This post makes no sense..

Vouchers solve a lot problems with Education in America.

I don't go around calling people names.

Bandage?

Too Big High Schools: Science Videos - Science News - ScienCentral

But just how large a school is too large? University of Michigan education researcher Valerie Lee set out to find the answer. She divided a national sample of about 800 public and private high schools into categories by size, and measured the learning of close to 10,000 students during four years of high school. Lee reported in the journal Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis that regardless of the schools' resources or students' backgrounds, they learned the most at schools of 600 to 900 students. "The category '600 to 900' was where students learn the most," says Lee. "When schools got smaller than that, learning was less, and when schools got larger than that, learning was less and continued to be less as they got larger and larger."

Lee also was interested in how school size affects different students. "The category '600 to 900' really popped out as the ideal category, regardless of the social composition of the high school, regardless of the kinds of students who went there." But she did find that "school size makes more difference for the learning of disadvantaged students, than it does for more advantaged students. For schools that enrolled mostly affluent and white students, school size still followed the same pattern, still peaked in schools of 600 to 900, but the differences in learning were considerably less."

I've noticed that Truthmatters is always quick on pointing out the faults of the Nation but never has an opinion how how to fix it... Other than calling for "death" it on the big bad GOP.
As for the the topic of the thread;

To teach them like we used to ( back when schools were smaller) it would cost money so the cons fight it at every turn.

Money is far more important to them than educated kids.

How much would it cost for smaller schools?

I guess you would need some number cruncher with many of data available to them to come up with a valid estimate. But I think Truthmatters makes a reasonable assumption. Its reasonable to assume that as the size of the school increases the cost per student decreases, kind of along the line of the concept of economies of scale.

However, I think the diagnosis of the problem is completely worng. In my opinion, the greatest factors in a kid performing poorly in school are 1. complete apathy on the part of the student and 2. complete apathy on the part of the parent. Regardless of school size, resources are available for most every kid in almost every school system to succeed; however, the will to succeed is not so much.

There ya go. Parents seem to just not care.

ITS A FUCKING BADAID!

It is not a solution like building schools that actually teach huh?

I graduated five years ago from a high school that accomodated 1600 students and in school system where school size ranged from 1500 to 3000. And magically we out performed most ever other school system in the Commonwealth, but we were mostly white and middle class so this study doesnt really apply to us.

Correlation and causation are compeletely different thing. While school size might have a role in encouraging underperforming students to continue to underachieve, I believe there are many more and greater contributing factors that need to be addressed first.

To teach them like we used to ( back when schools were smaller) it would cost money so the cons fight it at every turn.

How much would it cost for smaller schools?

The way it's been explained to me, the largest expense is the physical plant....the land, the buildings, the maintenance. I know here in CA, they are nibbling away at the athletic fields with portables cause they can't buy land, it's too expensive. Some elementary schools here don't even have playgrounds anymore, put in portables.

I am a teacher and YES it is difficult to teach every student the way we should with 45 students to a class room! We need the States to take over education and kick the federal government out~!

It is not about how much money is spent, it is about how that money is being spent. Now, if I were a partisan hack, I would state that liberals don't care about real solutions, they think that throwing more money at a problem will solve it. But.... that is not true... not all liberals are stupid.... just the partisan idiots like you.

The solution is NOT to throw yet more money at it, it is to make parents, students and teachers accountable.

Wrong, money has been dumped into the education system over and over. The problem is how it's used or misused. The link below refs the NCLB act which is one of the many supremely wasteful, not thought out attempt to "help" our terrible school systems.
Budget of the United States Government, FY 2006

The "cons" would like to see the money spent in useful ways. There has bee so much waste and abuse and no one is help accountable.

Get rid of bad teachers. We can't begin to start that dialog as the teachers unions own the politiicans and call all the shots. Get rid of the Teachers Unions and we would be on the way to revamping our failing schools. The problems are many but money is at the bottom of the list.

the article said if the schools were too small, they did poorer than if between the 600-900 student high school too....

so not just if there were larger schools, but smaller than this ideal number did not do as well in learning.

This is a strange phenomenon imho....very strange.

It can not be writen off to schools being consolidated and too big, because too small did not perform as well either??? very weird.... wonder why this is the case?

We only have 9 students per classroom on average here in maine....as far as class size goes, we got small classes...not certain on school Size???

More typical liberal bullshit. You think smaller schools and classes are always the answer, and ignore international statistics that prove you wrong. Countries where class size is larger than ours out preform our students all the time, so smaller class size is not the answer.

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Primary class size above average

South Korean Education | Asia Society

If I actually told you what the answer is, you would brand me aneocon sexist racist fascist, so I will just let you figure it out on your own.

It is not about how much money is spent, it is about how that money is being spent. Now, if I were a partisan hack, I would state that liberals don't care about real solutions, they think that throwing more money at a problem will solve it. But.... that is not true... not all liberals are stupid.... just the partisan idiots like you.

The solution is NOT to throw yet more money at it, it is to make parents, students and teachers accountable.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6T0lJc3dU"]YouTube - TAG TEAM - WHOOMP THERE IT IS[/ame]

Forum List

Back