Are your feelings your property?

And how is one responsible for their feelings? How they act on them I can see but the actual feeling itself, no.

Feelings are controllable. You can choose what to allow yourself to feel/dwell on.

And how is one responsible for their feelings? How they act on them I can see but the actual feeling itself, no.

Feelings are controllable. You can choose what to allow yourself to feel/dwell on.
I'm not convinced that you can.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think you can choose to not dwell on things, but Im not so sure you can control your feelings.
Haven't you ever thought a certain hurt or angry feeling was pretty much worked through and over...then it appears again out of the blue.( or sometimes by a trigger. a song, a place)

what a strange question. lol

I'm not convinced that you can.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think you can choose to not dwell on things, but Im not so sure you can control your feelings.
Haven't you ever thought a certain hurt or angry feeling was pretty much worked through and over...then it appears again out of the blue.( or sometimes by a trigger. a song, a place)

what a strange question. lol
I know it is strange. Just something I read the other day.

Feelings are personal property.
A person has the right to tell another how they feel, but they do not have the right to expect another to change their behavior based on how they feel.
Many marriages would last alot longer if both parties agreed to this.
If someone injures your feelings then, can they be persecuted for injuring your property?

Nope. Unable to prove it.
Why not? You could provide witnesses to a jury.

I guess it depends on context.

I looked it up and this was as close as I could find to address your topic.
Defamation per se—Essential Factual Elements (Public Officer/Figure and Limited Public Figure)
Actual Damages

If [name of plaintiff] has proved all of the above, then [he/she] is entitled to recover [his/her] actual damages if [he/she] proves that [name of defendant]’s wrongful conduct was a substantial factor in causing any of the following:
Liability

1. That [name of defendant] made [one or more of] the statement(s) to [a person/persons] other than [name of plaintiff];

2. That [this person/these people] reasonably understood that the statement(s) [was/were] about [name of plaintiff];

3. [That [this person/these people] reasonably understood the statement(s) to mean that [insert ground(s) for defamation per se, e.g., “[name of plaintiff] had committed a crime”]]; and

4. That the statement(s) [was/were] false.

a. Harm to [name of plaintiff]’s property, business, trade, profession, or occupation;

b. Expenses [name of plaintiff] had to pay as a result of the defamatory statements;

c. Harm to [name of plaintiff]’s reputation; or

d. Shame, mortification, or hurt feelings.

California Civil Jury Instructions CACI 1700. Defamation per se Essential Factual Elements Public Officer Figure and Limited Public Figure Justia

A person has the right to tell another how they feel, but they do not have the right to expect another to change their behavior based on how they feel.
If someone injures your feelings then, can they be persecuted for injuring your property?

Hearsay.
Eye witness accounts.
??

How do you get an eye witness account inside your head?

Defamation per se—Essential Factual Elements (Public Officer/Figure and Limited Public Figure)
Actual Damages

If [name of plaintiff] has proved all of the above, then [he/she] is entitled to recover [his/her] actual damages if [he/she] proves that [name of defendant]’s wrongful conduct was a substantial factor in causing any of the following:
Liability

1. That [name of defendant] made [one or more of] the statement(s) to [a person/persons] other than [name of plaintiff];

2. That [this person/these people] reasonably understood that the statement(s) [was/were] about [name of plaintiff];

3. [That [this person/these people] reasonably understood the statement(s) to mean that [insert ground(s) for defamation per se, e.g., “[name of plaintiff] had committed a crime”]]; and

a. Harm to [name of plaintiff]’s property, business, trade, profession, or occupation;

b. Expenses [name of plaintiff] had to pay as a result of the defamatory statements;

California Civil Jury Instructions CACI 1700. Defamation per se Essential Factual Elements Public Officer Figure and Limited Public Figure Justia

Defamation is an intentional tort.

defamation of character

False statement(s) made by one person about another. In court, the plaintiff must prove that (1) the defendant made an untrue statement of fact about the plaintiff and (2) the statement was intentionally or accidentally published to a third party.

• 1. The defendant made an untrue statement of fact about the plaintiff.
  • 2. The statement was intentionally or accidentally published to a third party. In this context, publication simply means that a third person heard or saw the untrue statement. It does not require appearance in newspapers, magazines, or books.

There are three types of damages that may be sought in a defamation case according to California Civil Code section 48a, et seq.

1. General Damages – these include "damages for loss of reputation, shame, mortification, and hurt feelings";
  2. Special Damages – these "are all damages plaintiff alleges and proves that he has suffered in respect to his property, trade, profession or occupation including such amounts of money as the plaintiff alleges and proves he has expended . . ."; and
  3. Exemplary Damages – "are damages which may be in the discretion of the court or jury to be recovered in addition to general and special damages for the sake of example and by way of punishing a defendant who has made the publication or broadcast with actual malice."

4. The 3 Different Types Of Damages in Defamation Cases

Actual Damages

Liability

defamation of character

False statement(s) made by one person about another. In court, the plaintiff must prove that (1) the defendant made an untrue statement of fact about the plaintiff and (2) the statement was intentionally or accidentally published to a third party.

• 2. The statement was intentionally or accidentally published to a third party. In this context, publication simply means that a third person heard or saw the untrue statement. It does not require appearance in newspapers, magazines, or books.

I said I guess everything depends on context, and I googled hurt feelings property and defamation, it's what I got.

So what does your reply mean? :lol:

Actual Damages

Liability

defamation of character

I said I guess everything depends on context, and I googled hurt feelings property and defamation, it's what I got.

So what does your reply mean? :lol:
It means that this thread is crazy....

Forum List

Back