CDZ Are you wrong?

I

Indofred

I often go with my gut feelings on any issue, but I always look at every point made in debate, even if I feel that idea may be wrong.
One occasion (rare), a point comes up that makes me change my opinion as I find evidence to suggest I was wrong on the issue.
The last big one was about illegal drugs.
I still maintain drug use is daft, but I've softened my stance on part of the issue. I used to suggest mandatory prison for all users and death for all dealers, but I now realise users have soft boiled eggs for brains, so should be sent to enforced rehab.
I'm well known for my support of Palestine against Israel, but far less well known for being against Hamas and all attacks against civilians, even though I've made that clear many times.
I see it this way, you can support an ideal without supporting others who hold the same ideal, but are violent and anti social.
However, unlike many, I support right against wrong, even if my normally preferred side are wrong, and I'm willing to say so.

The question is, can you put ideologies aside and condemn fault on your side, or do you just support anything that side does, regardless of how wrong it might be?

There is no such thing as objective morality. I value my ability to expand upon my views and evolve my perspective on things as my knowledge and understanding of humanity, the earth and the universe grows.

There is no such thing as objective morality. I value my ability to expand upon my views and evolve my perspective on things as my knowledge and understanding of humanity, the earth and the universe grows.

That's the essence of growth. A person who is locked into defending and maintaining a particular mindset in the face of overwhelming evidence is intellectually stunted.

I often go with my gut feelings on any issue, but I always look at every point made in debate, even if I feel that idea may be wrong.
One occasion (rare), a point comes up that makes me change my opinion as I find evidence to suggest I was wrong on the issue.
I still maintain drug use is daft, but I've softened my stance on part of the issue. I used to suggest mandatory prison for all users and death for all dealers, but I now realise users have soft boiled eggs for brains, so should be sent to enforced rehab.
I'm well known for my support of Palestine against Israel, but far less well known for being against Hamas and all attacks against civilians, even though I've made that clear many times.
I see it this way, you can support an ideal without supporting others who hold the same ideal, but are violent and anti social.
However, unlike many, I support right against wrong, even if my normally preferred side are wrong, and I'm willing to say so.

The question is, can you put ideologies aside and condemn fault on your side, or do you just support anything that side does, regardless of how wrong it might be?

You will find as others have that I piss of both libs and conservatives because i tell the truth no matter how it makes my party look. If we don't debate this way and be honest then no one will learn and new ideas won't be born. Makes everything pointless.

You will find as others have that I piss of both libs and conservatives because i tell the truth no matter how it makes my party look. If we don't debate this way and be honest then no one will learn and new ideas won't be born. Makes everything pointless.

I too believe in reason over blind acceptance based on the meaningless titles of Democrat or Republican. As part of being able to reason one must consistently analyze one's own thinking and make adjustments as needed. All to often though, people become complacent and accept out-of-hand what others say without question. I see this frequently on this message board and choose not to interact with those who are narrow minded. I too have changed my viewpoint on drugs and I now lean towards decriminalization of certain drugs such as marijuana and rehab for harder drugs such as crack. Simply warehousing people in prisons will never end drug abuse and the related crimes in this country.

I now lean towards decriminalization of certain drugs such as marijuana and rehab for harder drugs such as crack. Simply warehousing people in prisons will never end drug abuse and the related crimes in this country.

The issue is SELLING drugs, not mere possession for PERSONAL use.

I now lean towards decriminalization of certain drugs such as marijuana and rehab for harder drugs such as crack. Simply warehousing people in prisons will never end drug abuse and the related crimes in this country.

The issue is SELLING drugs, not mere possession for PERSONAL use.

If no one is selling the drugs how can there be any for personal use?

Forum List

Back