Are you willing to help society out in this manner?

Are you willing to help society by being executed for a crime you did not commit?

• Total voters
Preferring a system that demands you prove your innocence?

fly to iran:tickets to iran,discount fares to iran,Europe and MIddle East.

Preferring a system that is not so heavily weighted against the prosecution as to be worthless for the most part. Preferring a system that imposes PUNISHMENT on the convicted rather than the moderate discomfort we inflict on our prisoners. Preferring a system where JUSTICE is the intended result, not bureaucracy, legaleese, and red tape.

Preferring a system that is not so heavily weighted against the prosecution as to be worthless for the most part. Preferring a system that imposes PUNISHMENT on the convicted rather than the moderate discomfort we inflict on our prisoners. Preferring a system where JUSTICE is the intended result, not bureaucracy, legaleese, and red tape.

Justice? Or vengeance?

There have been many comments in these two threads about the fact that a person on death row still has maybe twenty or more years to live so what is the big deal.

If you consider being confined to a 6 X 10 cell for 23 hours a day with the prospect of your life ending at the hands of an unjust government (unjust because you are innocent and condemned) living, then I pity you. For me, every minute in prison, let alone on death row would be a living hell.

And Two Thumbs that link I gave you spoke of people that were convicted and executed some of whom were innocent others who there is reasonable doubt as to whether or not they were guilty.

It seems some are more than happy to sacrifice others for the greater good. Me, I don't want the government executing innocent people in my name for the "greater good".

Immie

You're not confined to a cell for 23 hours a day unless you're in solitiary confinement.

Do not speak of what you do not know.

Fine, then can we assume that you would be more than happy to spend the rest of your life on death row for the good of the people despite the fact that you are innocent?

Immie

You can assume whatever the hell you want. You usually do.

Subconscious death wish on the killers part?
Maybe some of the sociological factors that drive to collective to kill are the same as or correlate with those factors that drive individuals to kill? :dunno:

My thoughts exactly, or maybe they get a thrill out of trying to out maneuver the authorities?

Either way,I just cannot reconcile my faith nor my conscience with the death penalty. Seeing as unfair the justice system is these days

Can you elaborate on how you find our justice system to be unfair. And please be specific and include case history.

Justice? Or vengeance?
A distinction about which folks should examine in their motivations for their position on this.

Justice? Or vengeance?

In a proper society there is no difference between those two things.

In Norse society everyone had a "Danegeld"; that is a monetary value, based on who they were. If you wrongly killed another person you were required to pay that Danegled to that person's family, or they could legally take violent action against you with impunity. You either paid the price, or you had to be constantly looking over your shoulder for that person's family to take revenge on you.

Last edited:
Justice? Or vengeance?

In Norse society everyone had a "Danegeld"; that is a monetary value, based on who they were. If you wrongly killed another person you were required to pay that Danegled to that person's family, or they could legally take violent action against you with impunity. You either paid the price, or you had to be constantly looking over your shoulder for that person's family to take revenge on you.
I am fascinated by that statement. Really.

I am fascinated by that statement. Really.

Care to expound on what you find so fascinating about it?
It might be just me, but I find a huge difference between justice and vengeance.

jus·tice
   /ˈdʒʌstɪs/ Show Spelled[juhs-tis] Show IPA
–noun
the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
the moral principle determining just conduct.
conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.
the administering of deserved punishment or reward.
the maintenance or administration of what is just by law, as by judicial or other proceedings: a court of justice.
judgment of persons or causes by judicial process: to administer justice in a community.
a judicial officer; a judge or magistrate.
( initial capital letter ) Also called Justice Department. the Department of Justice.
—Idioms
bring to justice, to cause to come before a court for trial or to receive punishment for one's misdeeds: The murderer was brought to justice.
do justice,
a.
to act or treat justly or fairly.
b.
to appreciate properly: We must see this play again to do it justice.
c.
to acquit in accordance with one's abilities or potentialities: He finally got a role in which he could do himself justice as an actor.

venge·ance
   /ˈvɛndʒəns/ Show Spelled[ven-juhns] Show IPA
–noun
infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person; violent revenge: But have you the right to vengeance?
an act or opportunity of inflicting such trouble: to take one's vengeance.
the desire for revenge: a man full of vengeance.
Obsolete . hurt; injury.
Obsolete . curse; imprecation.
—Idiom
with a vengeance,
a.
with force or violence.
b.
greatly; extremely.
c.
to an unreasonable, excessive, or surprising degree: He attacked the job with a vengeance.

Dictionary.com | Free Online Dictionary for English Definitions

It might be just me, but I find a huge difference between justice and vengeance.

True Justice includes Vengence upon the offender. Anything else cannot be True Justice. Then again I'm not very much of a believer in forgiveness. I'm a much bigger believer in the Oid Testament or Medieval styles of Justice, which most definitely have quite a bit in common with Vengence.

Justice? Or vengeance?

I've seen a picture of your head.

You would have been slain as a beast from another realm.

You really don't want this to be Norse society

I've seen a picture of your head.

You would have been slain as a beast from another realm.

You really don't want this to be Norse society

Actually that would depend on when my birthday was and what astrological signs were around at the time. Norse society was actually much more open to such things. In fact there are stories from the Norse about people in their society with birthmarks very similar to mine. the Native Americans were one of the other societies that was fairly open to people with such "deformities".

Forum List

Back