Are you willing to help society out in this manner?

Are you willing to help society by being executed for a crime you did not commit?

• Total voters

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Are you willing to help society in this manner?

Politicalchic has avoided this question so I ask all of you.

Politicalchic has made the statement in another thread (I will link to it later) that it helps society to let an innocent person be executed because (I am reading into her statement here) the death penalty acts as a deterrent to future crimes.

So, I ask this question of you:

Are you willing to be executed for a crime you did not commit in order to better society?

Simple question with a yes or no answer. But, please feel free to elaborate on your answer in this thread.

Link to thread

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...life-and-pro-death-penalty-5.html#post3495010

Thank you all,

Immie

It's time that we faced the fact that the death penalty is not a deterrent. It is the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crime. We should use it... but we should use it sparingly and with great care.

The death penalty really isn't a deterrent though, criminals don't think "well I should probably not kill those people or I will get the death penalty", most of them don't even worry about it until after the fact and they have to cop a plea to avoid it.

Are you willing to be executed for a crime you did not commit in order to better society?

No. Absolutely not. And I would not expect that of anyone else. Society cannot be better if civilians are being killed for crimes they did not commit.

It's time that we faced the fact that the death penalty is not a deterrent. It is the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crime. We should use it... but we should use it sparingly and with great care.

I'm slowly seeing that our government..or any government for that matter can't be trusted to do this correctly.

For me the death penalty should only be used on indivduals that are so dangerous to society the possibly of their release or escape poses a grave threat.

And the way it's been used here is for "revenge" or notches in a prosecutor's belt.

Fuck no. What kind of assinine question is that.

One that I expect to get 100% agreement on although, I think PC should "man" up and be the one lone voice.

Immie

Except she's a rather cute woman..:lol:

In any case..it's a stupid question.

I would give my life to defend the country or my friends and family (even a stranger if there was a need). But I would not do it for a crime I did not commit.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntitiiLotk]YouTube - P&T Bullshit!-The Death Penalty Part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSV9F_-VdU]YouTube - P&T Bullshit!-The Death Penalty Part 2[/ame]

YES. If I am insufficiently able to prove that I did not have the motive, means, and opportunity to commit a sufficiently heinous crime and am convicted for it, I would have no problem being executed for it.

BTW - So far as I'm aware, execution is a 100% proven deterent to future criminal activity for everyone that it's used on. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:
YES. If I am insufficiently able to prove that I did not have the motive, means, and opportunity to commit a sufficiently heinous crime and am convicted for it, I would have no problem being executed for it.

BTW - So far as I'm aware, execution is a 100% proven deterent to future criminal activity for everyone that it's used on. That's good enough for me.

Innocent until proven guilty is one of the core ideals of a Western liberal democracy.

Funny, I expected JB to be the first to deliberately throw in a counter argument.

You say insufficiently able to prove, but what if it were proven yet the prosecutor hid the evidence and you were convicted anyway? I know that was not in the original question, but I expected it to be implied.

Immie

No one has to prove their innocence in the USA.

Actually, that is not true. As one who was falsely accused, I can assure you that the prosecutor is not going to do that for you.

Immie

Actually, that is not true. As one who was falsely accused, I can assure you that the prosecutor is not going to do that for you.

Immie
Actually, it is true. The burden of proof is on the accuser. It's a constitutional thing.

How though? the death penalty only worries people after the fact when the crime is already commited, I don't hear any criminals saying "oh we need to behave because we might get the death penalty", its only an issue after the fact when they try to cop a plea, thats it.

How though? the death penalty only worries people after the fact when the crime is already commited, I don't hear any criminals saying "oh we need to behave because we might get the death penalty", its only an issue after the fact when they try to cop a plea, thats it.

Pretty much. Does a deterrent really matter if you're convinced you'll get away with the crime? How many of those planning on committing first-degree murder are planning on getting caught? Not many would be my guess.

Forum List

Back