Are You Tired Of Stand-up Comedians Using the F-Word..etc.

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
I have dish network satellite receivers that I've had for several years now. I basically have a somewhat upgraded package where I have some HBO movie channels and some other channels......i.e History, Discovery, A&E, TLC, Documentary, and 6 ESPN's. There's quite a few more too.

Anyway, more and more, as I peruse my HBO selections, I'm seeing more and more standup comic shows being featured.

Now of those shows, the men and women comedians featured, almost all constantly throw in cuss words in their acts in nearly every sentence they say. The "F" word is probably the most common one. Man, it sure grates on me, and I don't even bother watching their acts. The women comedians are as vulgar as the men comedians now.

The other thing is that their "shticks" usually center around graphic sexual themes too. Nothing is ethically off-limits to many of these comedians.
Funny thing, is that I can remember when comedians could get great laughts without this stuff. Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, Smothers Brothers, Rodney Dangerfield, Victor Borga, Groucho Marx, Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Steve Allen, Joey Bishop, Jerry Lewis, Abott and Costello, the Stooges, Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Andy Clyde, Red Skelton, Cid Caesar, ......etc....

About the only comedians that don't use too much swearing and keep the sexual stuff to a not so graphic nature are the very few Country comedians like the Blue Collar boys..........such as old Jeff Foxworthy. Even the folks at "Laugh In" and "Hee Haw" could get some great laughs without vulgarity.

Is our culture to the point where Hispanic or Black comedians can only get laughs about racial issues and making fun of white folks or their own culture....or making fun of racial/ cultural differences? Black comedians often use the "N" word in their "shticks", and I really think it's rather degrading to their own race and culture.

Anyway, what say yee? I'm really fed up with the vulgar stuff that comedians seem to use as the "in vogue" vernacular of comedy-standup.

I think it's great if we can laugh at ourselves, and have some good old political jokes poked back and forth at liberals and conservatives is ok.

I even think us Christians can be quite funny and strange too, and shouldn't be too miffed by some of the jokes thrown our way. One disclaimer, as long as the jokes are ment to be jokes and not hurtful Anti-Christian pokes.
I just miss the great comedians that had real original material, and didn't have to resort to vulgarities, and swearing and explicit sexual content in their deliveries to get laughs.

Flipping past the Comedy channel last night, I actually heard a female stand-up comedian using the *c* (female anatomy) word. Needless to say, I turned it off asap. We have a vulgar culture that shows no signs of getting any better.

Flipping past the Comedy channel last night, I actually heard a female stand-up comedian using the *c* (female anatomy) word. Needless to say, I turned it off asap. We have a vulgar culture that shows no signs of getting any better.

I hate that word. I can't believe a woman would use it, it's insulting.

i have a very low opinions of comedy that has to resort to swearing. Seriously if you arent creative enough to come up with comedy that doesnt involve swearing then you shouldnt be up in front of people.

I guess I'm one of few people who don' care whether or not a comedian swears. People are too uppity at times and I view comedy as a grounds where there is complete and utter freedom of speech. Yes some people abuse the swearing to the point where it is unfunny.

Eightball: You must be daft! Rodney Dangerfield once used "Play 'Hide and Go Fuck Yourself" in a comedy routine. I think it'd be more accurate to say they use less vulgarity than their other counterparts. ;)

I have dish network satellite receivers that I've had for several years now. I basically have a somewhat upgraded package where I have some HBO movie channels and some other channels......i.e History, Discovery, A&E, TLC, Documentary, and 6 ESPN's. There's quite a few more too.

Anyway, more and more, as I peruse my HBO selections, I'm seeing more and more standup comic shows being featured.

Now of those shows, the men and women comedians featured, almost all constantly throw in cuss words in their acts in nearly every sentence they say. The "F" word is probably the most common one. Man, it sure grates on me, and I don't even bother watching their acts. The women comedians are as vulgar as the men comedians now.

The other thing is that their "shticks" usually center around graphic sexual themes too. Nothing is ethically off-limits to many of these comedians.
Funny thing, is that I can remember when comedians could get great laughts without this stuff. Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, Smothers Brothers, Rodney Dangerfield, Victor Borga, Groucho Marx, Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Steve Allen, Joey Bishop, Jerry Lewis, Abott and Costello, the Stooges, Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Andy Clyde, Red Skelton, Cid Caesar, ......etc....

About the only comedians that don't use too much swearing and keep the sexual stuff to a not so graphic nature are the very few Country comedians like the Blue Collar boys..........such as old Jeff Foxworthy. Even the folks at "Laugh In" and "Hee Haw" could get some great laughs without vulgarity.

Is our culture to the point where Hispanic or Black comedians can only get laughs about racial issues and making fun of white folks or their own culture....or making fun of racial/ cultural differences? Black comedians often use the "N" word in their "shticks", and I really think it's rather degrading to their own race and culture.

Anyway, what say yee? I'm really fed up with the vulgar stuff that comedians seem to use as the "in vogue" vernacular of comedy-standup.

I think it's great if we can laugh at ourselves, and have some good old political jokes poked back and forth at liberals and conservatives is ok.

I even think us Christians can be quite funny and strange too, and shouldn't be too miffed by some of the jokes thrown our way. One disclaimer, as long as the jokes are ment to be jokes and not hurtful Anti-Christian pokes.
I just miss the great comedians that had real original material, and didn't have to resort to vulgarities, and swearing and explicit sexual content in their deliveries to get laughs.

Check out Brian Regan, very clean show and hilarious. Jerry Seinfeld also is pretty mild. I do think Dane Cook is extremely funny also but his act is full of "those" words. I think it can make a huge difference if the words are used in the correct way. Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and so many others would be very artificial if they cleaned up their act. Frank Caliendo is also very good, does an amazing President Bush.

Check out Brian Regan, very clean show and hilarious. Jerry Seinfeld also is pretty mild. I do think Dane Cook is extremely funny also but his act is full of "those" words. I think it can make a huge difference if the words are used in the correct way. Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and so many others would be very artificial if they cleaned up their act. Frank Caliendo is also very good, does an amazing President Bush.

I think the laughs that vulgarity receives is a result of years of self imposed social restriction ( and some FCC restrictions ). Now that some are "rebelling" against those social mores, people think just saying anything vulgar in a public setting is a funny way of telling the old standards of civility, poiteness and respect to "f**k off"

Unfortunately people think that being shocked and doing "unacceptable" things is funny.

YES!!

I'm so used to listening to shows that have had the vulgarity bleeped out that when I tune into a radio/tv channel where it isn't bleeped (HBO, XM radio) I tend to subsconsciously bleep it out.

The sad thing is that when everything is bleeped out you realize that nothing is really being said.

I loved Carson's form of comedy.

I wish our society was less vulgar and more respectful, especially when in public.

I was in the navy.... I am pretty immune to being offended by off color language. Like it or not, it is a part of our culture now.

I was in the navy.... I am pretty immune to being offended by off color language. Like it or not, it is a part of our culture now.

So are a lot of things like gay parades, illegal immigrants, etc---once they become part of our culture, do they get a free pass. If we say we really don't like it is it whining ?

Some comedians just work more blue than others. You always have the option of changing the station.
I've seen some comedians that almost never swear, let alone get really controversial with their material. Eddie Izzard's a good one as far as that goes. His material's intelligent and clever, but very clean.
There was some guy on Comedy Central the other night who spent almost the whole time talking about cookies. I didn't exactly laugh my ass off, but at no point was I offended.

the beauty about the US is if we dont like a part of our culture, we can change it.

I guess I'm one of few people who don' care whether or not a comedian swears. People are too uppity at times and I view comedy as a grounds where there is complete and utter freedom of speech. Yes some people abuse the swearing to the point where it is unfunny.

Eightball: You must be daft! Rodney Dangerfield once used "Play 'Hide and Go Fuck Yourself" in a comedy routine. I think it'd be more accurate to say they use less vulgarity than their other counterparts. ;)

If the comedy is not funny without the swearing, then it isn't funny with it. It's supposed to be about the comedy, not the illiteracy of the comedian.

Cool! A topic I can disagree with the folks I usually agree with and agree with..............................

Comedy is Comedy people. Comedians cuss, it IS funny! I'm sorry but it is. I've listened to Father Guido Sarduchi, he is a funny dude. Never cusses. It works for him. Foxworthy, however tired, was at one time funny w/o cussing!

Richard Pryor was FUNNIER! He just was. Funny as Hell, oops, I mean hedes or however you spell it.

Remember when there were only a handful of professional comedians who made their entertainment livings as comedians on TV and radio. Well now there are bajillions, they have to cuss. It's savy to cuss in stand up. It kind of makes the show. How creatively can they cuss? Cussing in itself is not funny. The chick who used the c*** word, TACKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loosen up a little folks.

Forum List

Back