CDZ Are You Tired of Being Lied To?

Regardless of your political persuasion, any objective evaluation of "news" reporting in this country would have to conclude that honesty and factual accuracy are far down the list of attributes. This should be apparent to anyone who carefully sees, listens or reads what passes for "journalism" in our media.

For example, almost every television segment on "assault rifles" includes a description of them as "semi-automatic weapons" (true of almost every rifle) accompanied by deceptive video of a fully automatic machine gun. Almost every initial report of a black male being shot by police shows a youthful picture of the victim accompanied by heavily edited audio or video designed to put the police in the worst possible light. In fact, almost every news report contains major inaccuracies which are included to "enhance" a particular narrative.

The problems is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go these days to obtain unbiased factual information. Does anyone have a solution to this conundrum?

Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense. Unfortunately a large percentage of Americans, aside from a lack of education, possess no common sense or ability to logically think things through, and are comfortably snowed by the Democrats.

For example "Trump pays no taxes!" because by law he doesn't have to, and even then, he pays plenty in taxes anyway.
"He pays plenty in taxes anyway." Hey, billy, does that mean you've seen copies of his tax forms?
OK, sarcasm aside, the OP seems to be perturbed that political op eds are becoming more like Madison Avenue ads than straight reporting, and I do have to agree. EX: I watched (listened actually, while I worked) Trump's townhall speech before the vets. He spoke about PTSD in answer to a specific question about suicides, and part of his response was that some returnees can't handle it. What fact could be more true? Next I hear snippets that he is insulting vets for their wimpiness, or something like that, way out of context. Much as I abhor the thought of this bloviating jerk as President, this campaign to twist his every word is offensive to me, and I think it should be to everyone. The reason we get bluster is because we allow it. I also get tired of the campaign to discredit the MSM, not so much because the MSM has morphed so sadly from the old days of my youth, but because the complainers seem to think the alternative to MSM, ala FOX, talk radio, et al, is more truthful. Yuk!

Agreed on the PTSD matter. Some came back from Vietnam total fruitcakes. My brother didn't bat an eye, but picked up right where he had left off.

The MSM is clearly pocketed by the Democrats. Their bias could not be more obvious.

FOX seems to be a greater mix, what with those openly Democrat, those leaning toward the Bush camp and claiming the conservative mantle, and those favoring an authentic America pretty much getting equal time. They are not a stopped clock.

one of my brothers and my brother in law had problems when they got back

both went on to lead successful lives

Glad to hear it. Many did have problems, and for them it's a real fight AFTER the war.

It has nothing to do with personal toughness.

they both still stuggle with it

Regardless of your political persuasion, any objective evaluation of "news" reporting in this country would have to conclude that honesty and factual accuracy are far down the list of attributes. This should be apparent to anyone who carefully sees, listens or reads what passes for "journalism" in our media.

For example, almost every television segment on "assault rifles" includes a description of them as "semi-automatic weapons" (true of almost every rifle) accompanied by deceptive video of a fully automatic machine gun. Almost every initial report of a black male being shot by police shows a youthful picture of the victim accompanied by heavily edited audio or video designed to put the police in the worst possible light. In fact, almost every news report contains major inaccuracies which are included to "enhance" a particular narrative.

The problems is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go these days to obtain unbiased factual information. Does anyone have a solution to this conundrum?

Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense. Unfortunately a large percentage of Americans, aside from a lack of education, possess no common sense or ability to logically think things through, and are comfortably snowed by the Democrats.

For example "Trump pays no taxes!" because by law he doesn't have to, and even then, he pays plenty in taxes anyway.
"He pays plenty in taxes anyway." Hey, billy, does that mean you've seen copies of his tax forms?
OK, sarcasm aside, the OP seems to be perturbed that political op eds are becoming more like Madison Avenue ads than straight reporting, and I do have to agree. EX: I watched (listened actually, while I worked) Trump's townhall speech before the vets. He spoke about PTSD in answer to a specific question about suicides, and part of his response was that some returnees can't handle it. What fact could be more true? Next I hear snippets that he is insulting vets for their wimpiness, or something like that, way out of context. Much as I abhor the thought of this bloviating jerk as President, this campaign to twist his every word is offensive to me, and I think it should be to everyone. The reason we get bluster is because we allow it. I also get tired of the campaign to discredit the MSM, not so much because the MSM has morphed so sadly from the old days of my youth, but because the complainers seem to think the alternative to MSM, ala FOX, talk radio, et al, is more truthful. Yuk!

Agreed on the PTSD matter. Some came back from Vietnam total fruitcakes. My brother didn't bat an eye, but picked up right where he had left off.

The MSM is clearly pocketed by the Democrats. Their bias could not be more obvious.

FOX seems to be a greater mix, what with those openly Democrat, those leaning toward the Bush camp and claiming the conservative mantle, and those favoring an authentic America pretty much getting equal time. They are not a stopped clock.
I cannot agree that all MSM is Dem pocketed, nor do I see Fox as equal-timers, but I only see bits of Fox, like clips of Hannity and those drooling idiots on the couch. Add in Breitbart and Drudge and I'm left with PBS as the best soruce.

PBS is part of the mainstream.

I cannot agree that all MSM is Dem pocketed, nor do I see Fox as equal-timers, but I only see bits of Fox, like clips of Hannity and those drooling idiots on the couch. Add in Breitbart and Drudge and I'm left with PBS as the best soruce.

PBS is part of the mainstream.

pretty left wing as well

Does anyone have a solution to this conundrum?
The BBC.

Not the BBC specifically, which is no better then the NYT, but foreign sources often publish what our own MSM won't touch. They can be a good source of unfiltered info.
I think the take away is that no single source will provide completely unbiased news, although some do a much better job than others. In addition to the BBC and NPR I listen to the conservative radio talk shows. Their talk is hardly unbiased or even accurate but they do provide contrast to other sources. Kind of like having my own personal debate on the issues.

Associated Press and NPR.
The Gold Standard.

"Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense"

You may prosper by applying that logic to what appears to be your lack of common sense towards Trump.

Sounds like you are depicting a particular narrative yourself. Hardly objective journalism but what you want to hear.

"Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense"

You may prosper by applying that logic to what appears to be your lack of common sense towards Trump.

That's my quote, and yes, logic and common sense indicate I should choose the loudmouth braggart with business acumen over the criminal bitch who sells her public positions with the aid of her media, and talks the opposite in private.

Forum List

Back