CDZ Are You Tired of Being Lied To?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Regardless of your political persuasion, any objective evaluation of "news" reporting in this country would have to conclude that honesty and factual accuracy are far down the list of attributes. This should be apparent to anyone who carefully sees, listens or reads what passes for "journalism" in our media.

For example, almost every television segment on "assault rifles" includes a description of them as "semi-automatic weapons" (true of almost every rifle) accompanied by deceptive video of a fully automatic machine gun. Almost every initial report of a black male being shot by police shows a youthful picture of the victim accompanied by heavily edited audio or video designed to put the police in the worst possible light. In fact, almost every news report contains major inaccuracies which are included to "enhance" a particular narrative.

The problems is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go these days to obtain unbiased factual information. Does anyone have a solution to this conundrum?

Regardless of your political persuasion, any objective evaluation of "news" reporting in this country would have to conclude that honesty and factual accuracy are far down the list of attributes. This should be apparent to anyone who carefully sees, listens or reads what passes for "journalism" in our media.

For example, almost every television segment on "assault rifles" includes a description of them as "semi-automatic weapons" (true of almost every rifle) accompanied by deceptive video of a fully automatic machine gun. Almost every initial report of a black male being shot by police shows a youthful picture of the victim accompanied by heavily edited audio or video designed to put the police in the worst possible light. In fact, almost every news report contains major inaccuracies which are included to "enhance" a particular narrative.

The problems is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go these days to obtain unbiased factual information. Does anyone have a solution to this conundrum?
Are you sayin' I shouldn't believe my lyin' eyes?

I don't know if "tired" is the right word. Maybe "numbed".

There is simply no way of knowing what can be believed at this point. Anything that is said or written by a politician, politico, pundit or partisan simply cannot be taken at face value. And since most of the media is part of one of those groups, that rule goes for them too.

I look at this stuff (including USMB) as professional wrestling for political geeks, some kind of game that everyone is playing with a wink and a nod. The behaviors are fascinating, and that's the draw for me, but what is actually said has little out-of-hand credibility.

Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense. Unfortunately a large percentage of Americans, aside from a lack of education, possess no common sense or ability to logically think things through, and are comfortably snowed by the Democrats.

For example "Trump pays no taxes!" because by law he doesn't have to, and even then, he pays plenty in taxes anyway.

Poor Trump, he has to pay taxes. He's so oppressed the R. Party seeks to end the death tax for his children and three wives. How sad.
--sarcasm alert--

The working poor who pay taxes on fuel, retail products, rent and real estate taxes even though they do not own homes/real estate (and don't get the real estate tax deduction Trump does), payroll taxes, income taxes (if they make enough) and can't afford medical care (but can now that the PPACA is the law - which Trump and other plutocrats and assholes hope to repeal) are the ones Christians and liberals care about'; callous conservatives don't give a damn for them.

You bet I'm tired of being lied to, see my thread on "The Art of Lies":

A thought provoking article in the Sept 10th issue of THE ECONOMIST:

"Consider how far Trump is estranged from fact. He inhabits a fantastical realm where Obama's birth certificate was faked, the president (and HRC) founded Islamic State, the Clinton's are killers and the father of a rival was with Lee Harvey Oswald before he shot JFK"
"The article goes on and makes the credible claim that Trump is the leader and his biddable followers echo his "post-truth" assertions that "feel true but have no basis in fact".

"So my question is, does it matter that Trump lies repeatedly and when his lies are exposed he continues to violate the rule of holes? Is that something one expects from a leader, or from a sociopath (i.e. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience)?"

"Consider how far Trump is estranged from fact. He inhabits a fantastical realm where Obama's birth certificate was faked, the president (and HRC) founded Islamic State, the Clinton's are killers and the father of a rival was with Lee Harvey Oswald before he shot JFK"
The article goes on and makes the credible claim that Trump is the leader and his biddable followers echo his "post-truth" assertions that "feel true but have no basis in fact".

So my question is, does it matter that Trump lies repeatedly and when his lies are exposed he continues to violate the rule of holes? Is that something one expects from a leader, or from a sociopath (i.e. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience)?

Are you sayin' I shouldn't believe my lyin' eyes?
Yes.

The article goes on and makes the credible claim that Trump is the leader and his biddable followers echo his "post-truth" assertions that "feel true but have no basis in fact".

So my question is, does it matter that Trump lies repeatedly and when his lies are exposed he continues to violate the rule of holes? Is that something one expects from a leader, or from a sociopath (i.e. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience)?

Who are you quoting?

You didn't even mention Donald Trump.

When we have the GOP candidate lying to American almost everyday- and lied about President Obama's birth certificate for 5 years- yeah I am tired of being lied to.

Most propaganda is easily discerned by an application of logic and common sense. Unfortunately a large percentage of Americans, aside from a lack of education, possess no common sense or ability to logically think things through, and are comfortably snowed by the Democrats.

For example "Trump pays no taxes!" because by law he doesn't have to, and even then, he pays plenty in taxes anyway.

For example Trump saying he will release his tax returns after his audit is done....even though the IRS says there is nothing preventing him from releasing his tax returns and even Tricky Dick released his tax returns while he was being audited.

Like you said- most propaganda lies- like Trumps- are easily discerned by logic and common sense. We all know Trump just doesn't want voters to see something in his tax returns. We just don't know what.

About the only solution is to turn it off. Unfortunately todays journalism flies under the 'freedom of the press' and have every right to do whatever they want, and they will continue to deliver such crap as long as people keep buying into it.
It would be soooo nice if there were even one major media outlet that would only report facts without any bias, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. There are ratings to be had, by golly :banghead:

"He pays plenty in taxes anyway." Hey, billy, does that mean you've seen copies of his tax forms?
OK, sarcasm aside, the OP seems to be perturbed that political op eds are becoming more like Madison Avenue ads than straight reporting, and I do have to agree. EX: I watched (listened actually, while I worked) Trump's townhall speech before the vets. He spoke about PTSD in answer to a specific question about suicides, and part of his response was that some returnees can't handle it. What fact could be more true? Next I hear snippets that he is insulting vets for their wimpiness, or something like that, way out of context. Much as I abhor the thought of this bloviating jerk as President, this campaign to twist his every word is offensive to me, and I think it should be to everyone. The reason we get bluster is because we allow it. I also get tired of the campaign to discredit the MSM, not so much because the MSM has morphed so sadly from the old days of my youth, but because the complainers seem to think the alternative to MSM, ala FOX, talk radio, et al, is more truthful. Yuk!

"He pays plenty in taxes anyway." Hey, billy, does that mean you've seen copies of his tax forms?
OK, sarcasm aside, the OP seems to be perturbed that political op eds are becoming more like Madison Avenue ads than straight reporting, and I do have to agree. EX: I watched (listened actually, while I worked) Trump's townhall speech before the vets. He spoke about PTSD in answer to a specific question about suicides, and part of his response was that some returnees can't handle it. What fact could be more true? Next I hear snippets that he is insulting vets for their wimpiness, or something like that, way out of context. Much as I abhor the thought of this bloviating jerk as President, this campaign to twist his every word is offensive to me, and I think it should be to everyone. The reason we get bluster is because we allow it. I also get tired of the campaign to discredit the MSM, not so much because the MSM has morphed so sadly from the old days of my youth, but because the complainers seem to think the alternative to MSM, ala FOX, talk radio, et al, is more truthful. Yuk!

Agreed on the PTSD matter. Some came back from Vietnam total fruitcakes. My brother didn't bat an eye, but picked up right where he had left off.

The MSM is clearly pocketed by the Democrats. Their bias could not be more obvious.

FOX seems to be a greater mix, what with those openly Democrat, those leaning toward the Bush camp and claiming the conservative mantle, and those favoring an authentic America pretty much getting equal time. They are not a stopped clock.

Agreed on the PTSD matter. Some came back from Vietnam total fruitcakes. My brother didn't bat an eye, but picked up right where he had left off.

The MSM is clearly pocketed by the Democrats. Their bias could not be more obvious.

FOX seems to be a greater mix, what with those openly Democrat, those leaning toward the Bush camp and claiming the conservative mantle, and those favoring an authentic America pretty much getting equal time. They are not a stopped clock.

one of my brothers and my brother in law had problems when they got back

both went on to lead successful lives

one of my brothers and my brother in law had problems when they got back

both went on to lead successful lives

Glad to hear it. Many did have problems, and for them it's a real fight AFTER the war.

It has nothing to do with personal toughness.

I cannot agree that all MSM is Dem pocketed, nor do I see Fox as equal-timers, but I only see bits of Fox, like clips of Hannity and those drooling idiots on the couch. Add in Breitbart and Drudge and I'm left with PBS as the best soruce.

Forum List

Back