Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What are your thoughts on this?

22007873_10107337526370812_4095462040264692002_n.jpg

My ex sister in law says this makes sense...of course, she's a teacher

Apparently, the word "about" means an estimate so the child would need to round up or down to get the right answer. Nothing was said on the work paper about rounding off. Seriously?

Interesting.

Crystal ACTUALLY sold 15 cookies (112-97).

If you use the preferred 'estimate', you come up with an estimate of 30 cookies. If you use the estimate preferred by the test taker, you come up with 10 cookies.

It would seem that 10 is closer to 15 than 30. If I didn't know better, I'd guess the teacher is the one who does my taxes.

Interesting.

Crystal ACTUALLY sold 15 cookies (112-97).

If you use the preferred 'estimate', you come up with an estimate of 30 cookies. If you use the estimate preferred by the test taker, you come up with 10 cookies.

It would seem that 10 is closer to 15 than 30. If I didn't know better, I'd guess the teacher is the one who does my taxes.

Crystal actually sold 97 cookies...there were 15 that were not sold

If the exercise is to show the process of estimating or doing it in your head

97 is three less than 100
112 is 12 more than 100

3+12 = 15 unsold cookies

I have no idea what the exercise was trying to teach

Apparently, the word "about" means an estimate so the child would need to round up or down to get the right answer. Nothing was said on the work paper about rounding off. Seriously?

The question asked "about". That indicates the student should estimate. Rounding 112 down to 110 and 97 up to 100 is the correct way to do this problem.

The question asked "about". That indicates the student should estimate. Rounding 112 down to 110 and 97 up to 100 is the correct way to do this problem.

It's not worded well. I'm not sure HOW it should be worded, but it's one of those sentences that can be read two ways......

About how many cookies did she not sell? For a 5th grade student, may, approximately?

The way the sentence reads: Which would be the best way to find out about how many cookies she did not sell. "to find out about" could mean like "to find out about how the stars were created"......

I interpreted "find about" to be like learn about how many cookies

The word estimate how many cookies would be helpful

Teacher ? No. Parroting brainwasher ? YES.
Wine.jpg

First of all, it asks which way to find out about how many cookies she didn't sell, and then it gives a list of the answers instead of choices to choose to solve the problem, so the whole thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This test question must have been dreamed up by a liberal.

First of all, it asks which way to find out about how many cookies she didn't sell, and then it gives a list of the answers instead of choices to choose to solve the problem, so the whole thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This test question must have been dreamed up by a liberal.

Damned libruls!

Damned libruls!

They are not nearly as smart as they think they are, huh? Arrogant, pompous little arses!

Only if you are rounding to the nearest 10

If you were rounding "about" to the nearest 5, 112 would round to 110 and 97 would round to 95 giving you an answer of 15 (which happens to be correct)

Damned libruls!

They are not nearly as smart as they think they are, huh? Arrogant, pompous little arses!

Read'n, Rit'n and Rithmatic is all conservatives need to know (throw in a good measure of the Bible)

Damned libruls!

Read'n, Rit'n and Rithmatic is all conservatives need to know (throw in a good measure of the Bible)

At least they know about reading and arithmetic, which is more than we can say about liberals! :2up:

Damned libruls!

At least they know about reading and arithmetic, which is more than we can say about liberals! :2up:

You forgot about the Lords Book
Don't forget that Republicans nominated Roy Moore in Alabama on Tuesday

A man who appreciates the role Jesus should play in our schools
Hell with that newfangled math....as long as you got Jesus (and Football) that is all a school needs

What are your thoughts on this?

22007873_10107337526370812_4095462040264692002_n.jpg

While many condemn this "new math" because it doesn't require precise answers, most decisions in life that involve math only require that you recognize the best option. Estimates are good enough

If you are driving your car you need to decide which route is the shortest, You make a mental estimate of which route is the shortest distance. You don't calculate that route A is 746 yards shorter

If you go to McDonalds with $20 and order six items you make an estimate of whether $20 is enough money, you don't calculate that you will get 17 cents in change

Forum List

Back