Are You Scared Yet? Read this!

She twists the facts to a predetermined philosophy, instead of adjusting the philosophy to fit the facts.

Reagan presided over a, lemme see, about a 190% increase in the national debt

End of 1980 - 909,401,000,000

End of 1988 - 2,601,104,000,000

...and Clinton had the extra degree of difficulty of having to pay the interest on Reagan's, not to mention Bush Sr.'s, accumulated debt.

Looks to me like Clinton did almost 5 times better than Reagan did.

Reagan presided over a, lemme see, about a...100% dissolution of the Soviet Union.

lol, I guess that's why the Republicans don't care about another START treaty, because the Russians are no longer a threat.

Why are you changing the subject btw?

I understand that realizing the import of the Reagan foreign policy and its relationship to the debt incurred by defense build-up is far too nuanced for you...but try this, as it may be more your level:
which costs more, and, in fact, is more valuable, a Jaguar, or a Kia?

I thought of using a Caddy and a Trabant, but I knew you wouldn't understand that reference...

Political Chic's work never reaches the level of sophistication and nuance. Go back to her first postings and you will see her bias is continual and uninformed. She believes that insulting comments, wrongly, make her argument stronger. Rather such behavior demonstrates a weak mind and character.

According to Dean Baker's assessment of the final vote by The President's Fiscal Commission:

"The country has a large deficit today because the collapse of the housing bubble wrecked the economy.

"This is simple and obvious to everyone familiar with the dynamics of the budget and the economy.

"If the unemployment rate were at its pre-recession level of 4.5 percent, we would have, at most, a modest deficit.

"Furthermore, the story of out of control government spending is entirely an invention of people with an agenda to pursue.

"In 1980, non-interest spending was 19.8 percent of GDP.

"The Congressional Budget Office projects that it will rise to 21.1 percent of GDP in 2020 under President Obama's budget.

"An increase in spending of 1.3 percentage points of GDP over 40 years hardly qualifies as out of control.

According to Dean Baker's assessment of the final vote by The President's Fiscal Commission:

"The country has a large deficit today because the collapse of the housing bubble wrecked the economy.

"This is simple and obvious to everyone familiar with the dynamics of the budget and the economy.

"If the unemployment rate were at its pre-recession level of 4.5 percent, we would have, at most, a modest deficit.

"Furthermore, the story of out of control government spending is entirely an invention of people with an agenda to pursue.

That is assertion and does not come with supporting data.

"In 1980, non-interest spending was 19.8 percent of GDP.

"The Congressional Budget Office projects that it will rise to 21.1 percent of GDP in 2020 under President Obama's budget.

"An increase in spending of 1.3 percentage points of GDP over 40 years hardly qualifies as out of control.
A 4.05 to 1 private to public spending ratio going to a 3.74 to 1 ratio is a 7.7% decline in relative tax basis or a real kick in the nuts at the margin. I think you have uncovered the reason why America's poor, being the most easily taxed, have been going backwards for 40 or more years.

Forum List

Back