Are you religious?

I'm afraid you'll also have to define "PC elite". I thought I already answered your question by saying there are jokes about every religious group. No one is being singled out.

No, I'm not going to keep defining terminology, if we can't just talk about it, it's not worth the bother. We both know that a white person can't tell a black joke and a straight person can't tell a gay joke without being looked down on by the PC crowd. If we can't meet on that common ground we probably can't meet at all. I'm not into the semantics and other crap that so many people on message boards seem to be into. I don't find much value in conversations where we're both looking for loopholes or tiny flaws to go Aha! about. I prefer honest, straightforward talk. Maybe next time.

Oh for crimminy's sakes.

Is this still another thread about how we poor Christians are being oppressed?

If we Christians cannot laugh at our own foibles we're in serious trouble.

It was SO over the top

Is it really possible that some of you are so thin-skinned you can't see the humor of it?

I'm not complaining about anything. I don't think I'm oppressed. I admitted that the infighting in Christianity is silly. I "got" the joke. I wanted to talk about why it's ok to joke about some groups and not about others. I think there's some interesting points that could be looked at there, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'm not complaining about anything. I don't think I'm oppressed. I admitted that the infighting in Christianity is silly. I "got" the joke. I wanted to talk about why it's ok to joke about some groups and not about others. I think there's some interesting points that could be looked at there, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What are your thoughts on why?

No, I'm not going to keep defining terminology, if we can't just talk about it, it's not worth the bother. We both know that a white person can't tell a black joke and a straight person can't tell a gay joke without being looked down on by the PC crowd. If we can't meet on that common ground we probably can't meet at all. I'm not into the semantics and other crap that so many people on message boards seem to be into. I don't find much value in conversations where we're both looking for loopholes or tiny flaws to go Aha! about. I prefer honest, straightforward talk. Maybe next time.

Hey, if you ask me a question with vague terms in it, how do you expect me to answer? I'm not looking for a loophole, just trying to understand what you're saying but if you don't want to explain it, so be it. If you weren't one of them, then you'd easily be able to explain it.

I told you that I had heard jokes about other religions but that didn't seem to jive with your position so you rejected it.

Last edited:
It was a stupid joke. Not funny.

A priest, a rabbi and a minister were walking down the street one day and found a bag of money. The minister said, "I know, let's draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands in the circle, God wants us to keep."

To which the priest replied, "No, we'll draw the circle, throw up the money and whatever lands outside of the circle, God wants us to keep."

The Rabbi spoke up and said, "I've got an idea, let's just throw the money in the air and whatever God wants, he'll keep."

Now that's a joke.:lol:
I couldn't laugh because I imagined that joke being told at a large dinner hall with a bunch of fake laughter... and let me tell you, there is often nothing funny going on in there or about stuck up jokes. I actually enjoyed the dark humor of the opening post. Perhaps yours would have been enjoyable too if it wasn't for your initial setup of smiting the OP.

I guess what I don't understand is that these kinds of jokes generally come from the Left and yet they are the ones that are tell us to be tolerant. If there was a joke like this and instead of religious people it was homosexuals the joke teller would probably be admonished for being insensitive. So I guess what I don't get is why tolerance for others is only extended to some people. What makes some groups worthy of being tolerated even though some people find them/their behavior offensive and others not?

I'd really like to see this subject seriously addressed. Not knee-jerk talking points, but honest opinions and the reasons behind them.
Perhaps you need to expand upon what you mean because I don't see the connection between telling a simple joke about two religious sects fighting and taking stances against the rights of so-called "protected groups" which is what intolerance refers to. I don't think there are many that would give you crap about making jokes of any group unless your joke is trying to promote intolerance. Do you think the opening post was about intolerance? If so, how?

Last edited:
I couldn't laugh because I imagined that joke being told at a large dinner hall with a bunch of fake laughter... and let me tell you, there is often nothing funny going on in there or about stuck up jokes. I actually enjoyed the dark humor of the opening post. Perhaps yours would have been enjoyable too if it wasn't for your initial setup of smiting the OP.

Perhaps you need to expand upon what you mean because I don't see the connection between telling a simple joke about two religious sects fighting and taking stances against the rights of so-called "protected groups" which is what intolerance refers to. I don't think there are many that would give you crap about making jokes of any group unless your joke is trying to promote intolerance. Do you think the opening post was about intolerance? If so, how?

Oh, I finally got Sheila's joke. I'm kinda slow sometimes. ;) I laughed. It was a good one. But not without a slightly anti Semitic message, though I'll take it as meant ironically. LOL!

Welcome to the board.

I don't really think any additional explanation should be necessary. Either you see that some groups (like Christians) are ok to make jokes about and some (like Gays) aren't or you don't.

To me jokes like the one that started the thread are doing more that saying the infighting between sects is silly, they are making the broader statement that since the infighting is silly it reflects on the religion as a whole as silly, and therefore less relevant or whatever. In other words, it's not merely a jab at infighting, it's a put down/dismissive of the whole group.

So as an example, if I made a joke about 2 gay guys where one was really butch and the other really femme and how silly their difference was with the underlying message being that they were both ridiculous for being gay in the first place I would be branded as intolerant.

I think it's really a moot point though. I don't expect anyone that is PC to step forward and admit the hypocrisy of not having equal tolerance for everyone.

Welcome to the board.

I don't really think any additional explanation should be necessary. Either you see that some groups (like Christians) are ok to make jokes about and some (like Gays) aren't or you don't.
To be clear, what exactly is your opinion? Do you think it should be OK to make fun of both Christians and gays, not OK to make fun of either, or OK to make fun of one and not the other? Personally I make fun of both of them.

To me jokes like the one that started the thread are doing more that saying the infighting between sects is silly, they are making the broader statement that since the infighting is silly it reflects on the religion as a whole as silly, and therefore less relevant or whatever. In other words, it's not merely a jab at infighting, it's a put down/dismissive of the whole group.
That is a rather silly jump of logic. A joke is a joke, it is not saying anything other than what the joke was about. And I am not sure what you mean by "less relevant". You seem to be implying that religion somehow has a sane framework by which relevancy is cast upon it. Utter bullocks. Unless you are talking about some kind of relevancy in fantasy?

So as an example, if I made a joke about 2 gay guys where one was really butch and the other really femme and how silly their difference was with the underlying message being that they were both ridiculous for being gay in the first place I would be branded as intolerant.
Not really, you would just be branded for making an incomprehensible joke. How would the femme guy be silly for being gay if he liked butch men? The butch man liking femme guys... that part of the joke makes sense and might be funny with the right delivery.

I think it's really a moot point though. I don't expect anyone that is PC to step forward and admit the hypocrisy of not having equal tolerance for everyone.
I have no problem with religious people practicing their religion nor do I have a problem with gay people practicing their gayness. And I'll make fun of both as I please.

Last edited:
To be clear, what exactly is your opinion? Do you think it should be OK to make fun of both Christians and gays, not OK to make fun of either, or OK to make fun of one and not the other? Personally I make fun of both of them.

That is a rather silly jump of logic. A joke is a joke, it is not saying anything other than what the joke was about. And I am not sure what you mean by "less relevant". You seem to be implying that religion somehow has a sane framework by which relevancy is cast upon it. Utter bullocks. Unless you are talking about some kind of relevancy in fantasy?

Not really, you would just be branded for making an incomprehensible joke. How would the femme guy be silly for being gay if he liked butch men? The butch man liking femme guys... that part of the joke makes sense and might be funny with the right delivery.

I have no problem with religious people practicing their religion nor do I have a problem with gay people practicing their gayness. And I'll make fun of both as I please.

I don't like the whole multi-quote thing so I'll just say "good for you" and leave it at that.

Forum List

Back