Are you ready to drill for new oil?

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
Yes? No? And Why?

I say if the state wants to do it then let them do it. It will help lower the price and it will create many new jobs for this struggling economy and in the mean time it will give us time to investigate alternative energy... It's time to stop supporting these middle eastern countries who hate us.

Black and viscous --- bound to cure blue lethargy
Sugar-plum petroleum for energy
Tightrope-balanced payments need a small reprieve
Oh, please believe we want to be
in Offshore Oil

New-found wealth sits on the shelf of yesterday
Hot-air balloon --- inflation soon will make you pay
Riggers rig and diggers dig their shallow grave
But we'll be saved and what we crave
is Offshore Oil

Prices boom in Chicago and Allentown
Ten more years to lay the fears, erase the frown
before we are all nuclear --- the better way!
Oh, let us pray: we want to stay
in Offshore Oil

Without oil, there would have been none of this:

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said Jed move away from there
Said Californy is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.
Swimmin pools, movie stars.

The Beverly Hillbillies!

Sung at the end of the show:

Well now its time to say good-bye to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back again to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillbilly that is. Set a spell. Take your shoes off. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Nope. I see no logical reason to tap our own resources to benefit a world market that will eventually crumble and leave us wondering where all of our oil reserves went. I'd rather save our oil, let the price of gas make altEnergy a necessity, and save our reserves for industries and infrastructures that cannot adapt as quickly as other areas of industry. Europe has survived on 8 dollar gallons of gas, and so will America.

Nope. I see no logical reason to tap our own resources to benefit a world market that will eventually crumble and leave us wondering where all of our oil reserves went. I'd rather save our oil, let the price of gas make altEnergy a necessity, and save our reserves for industries and infrastructures that cannot adapt as quickly as other areas of industry. Europe has survived on 8 dollar gallons of gas, and so will America.

i agree with that

I guess you enjoy a massive trade deficit, and sending billions of dollars off to nations that would love nothing more than to hurt us.

That alone IMO is more than enough reason to do everything in our power to get off foreign Oil.

Our economy is falling apart with 4 dollar gas, and you think 8 dollar gas wont hurt. the problem with your Europe comparison is that more than half the price they pay is taxes. which is not the case here, and will not be the case if gas is 8 dollars a gallon. While in Europe half the money the spend to fill their tanks goes back to their governments, Here in America most of the money we pay to fill our tanks goes into the pockets of Oil companies and foreign governments, not our governments pockets.

But believe me I will not hold my breath waiting for you to agree with me on anything, after all I am old in all.

Last edited:
I guess you enjoy a massive trade deficit, and sending billions of dollars off to nations that would love nothing more than to hurt us.

That alone IMO is more than enough reason to do everything in our power to get off foreign Oil.

Our economy is falling apart with 4 dollar gas, and you think 8 dollar gas wont hurt. the problem with your Europe comparison is that more than half the price they pay is taxes. which is not the case here, and will not be the case if gas is 8 dollars a gallon. While in Europe half the money the spend to fill their tanks goes back to their governments, Here in America most of the money we pay to fill our tanks goes into the pockets of Oil companies and foreign governments, not our governments pockets.

But believe me I will not hold my breath waiting for you to agree with me on anything, after all I am old in all.

Oh it will hurt, but it will also drive invention. Necessity is the mother of invention. If we have $8 gas, then we'll have alternativeE fuel in no time.

And by the way, how do you think drilling domestically will cut down gas prices? Do you realize that unless we nationalize oil, we're sending what we get from FL and Alaska to the world market. We might knock off a few quarters on the gallon, in 5-7 years at the soonest.

PS: Don't try to play the victim. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings when I said old people don't contribute to culture. Please forgive my brutal honesty.

Last edited:
Oh it will hurt, but it will also drive invention. Necessity is the mother of invention. If we have $8 gas, then we'll have alternativeE fuel in no time.

And by the way, how do you think drilling domestically will cut down gas prices? Do you realize that unless we nationalize oil, we're sending what we get from FL and Alaska to the world market. We might knock off a few quarters on the gallon, in 5-7 years at the soonest.

I am more worried about sending so much money over there, than I am about lowering prices to tell you the truth.

How will drilling domestically hurt them more than removing one luxury yacht of income from the Saudi prince's salary?

700 billion dollars a year, according to T-boone.

It is not about hurting them, it is about helping ourselves. I don't think anyone can argue that we would be better off keeping 700 Billion a year here, instead of sending it over there.

Last edited:
This debate is silly, drilling is a red herring, there are 68 million acres where drilling and exploration could be going on now, but if the market price is this then this we pay. The companies know that and we buy the stuff, they make gazillions and some Americans suffer, but drilling is irrelevant. Oil needs competition and we need to cut back, end of story.

68 million acres already available...and they want more? by Julie Ann Dawson — oil, gas, polar bears | Gather

See where it comes from:

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/colombia/images/map.swf

Last edited:
How does reducing the playing field = more competition?
Moron.

Last edited:
700 billion dollars a year, according to T-boone.

It is not about hurting them, it is about helping ourselves. I don't think anyone can argue that we would be better off keeping 700 Billion a year here, instead of sending it over there.

Charlie, you should realize that oil is traded on a world market. The WORLD will have access to any oil we remove from our ground. We would have to nationalize oil, like Venezuela, before we see 700 billion dollars stay at home. The only ones who will truly profit from domestic drilling are the oil corporations. We are estimated to knock a few quarters off the gallon as soon as 5 years from now if we start drilling.

Please don't fall for the partisan bullshit going on in the media. Too many Americans are ignorant on oil and think that the solution is drilling our reserves dry.

Black and viscous --- bound to cure blue lethargy
Sugar-plum petroleum for energy
Tightrope-balanced payments need a small reprieve
Oh, please believe we want to be
in Offshore Oil

New-found wealth sits on the shelf of yesterday
Hot-air balloon --- inflation soon will make you pay
Riggers rig and diggers dig their shallow grave
But we'll be saved and what we crave
is Offshore Oil

Prices boom in Chicago and Allentown
Ten more years to lay the fears, erase the frown
before we are all nuclear --- the better way!
Oh, let us pray: we want to stay
in Offshore Oil

figures you would talk about reality as if it were a young child's nursery rhyme. you live in a cloud, probably cloaked in ivory that has suffocated the oxygen to your brain.

fair enough, however, to tap our own resources would also benefit you and I. if the world market comes close to crumbling and the US is sitting on resources that we could have, but the liberal enviros won't let us, you think that will be a stable situation? no, i think it will be war. i think the oil owners know this and know it well. do you really think that places such as Saudi Arabia or Venichugochavez see the environmentals as a "benign" entity when it comes to the US "saving" it's oil?

do you?

This debate is silly, drilling is a red herring, there are 68 million acres where drilling and exploration could be going on now, but if the market price is this then this we pay. The companies know that and we buy the stuff, they make gazillions and some Americans suffer, but drilling is irrelevant. Oil needs competition and we need to cut back, end of story.

68 million acres already available...and they want more? by Julie Ann Dawson — oil, gas, polar bears | Gather

See where it comes from:

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/colombia/images/map.swf

midcan, you are silly, but entertaining. do you know what a red herring is, no not in the water, but in terms of debate? it appears you do not, because you are confusing what a red herring is. i thought you ivy league, maybe moss league.

there are 68 million acres where drilling and exploration could be going on now, but if the market price is this then this we pay. The companies know that and we buy the stuff, they make gazillions and some Americans suffer, but drilling is irrelevant. Oil needs competition and we need to cut back, end of story

how is this a red herring? it is not. it could be, will you allow it? do you promote that we drill this? of course the "companies" know this, why do you think they want to open drilling. because they make money, we suffer? utter bullshit and a red herring. your last sentence proves what an idiot you are:

oil needs competition and we need to cut back, END OF STORY

really.....

Last edited:
Once the world is in dire needs of oil, environmentalists will have no say. I'm an environmentalist, and I want us to save our oil until other countries have to fight for oil. That day will get here sometime soon. Not in our lifetimes, but soon enough.

Charlie, you should realize that oil is traded on a world market. The WORLD will have access to any oil we remove from our ground. We would have to nationalize oil, like Venezuela, before we see 700 billion dollars stay at home. The only ones who will truly profit from domestic drilling are the oil corporations. We are estimated to knock a few quarters off the gallon as soon as 5 years from now if we start drilling.

Stop making sense

Please don't fall for the partisan bullshit going on in the media. Too many Americans are ignorant on oil and think that the solution is drilling our reserves dry.

We will not be drilling oil, private companies will.

Anyone have any idea how much we're currently paid per barrell for the oil taken from our national lands?

Anyone? Anyone?

Me neither.

Wonder why something so important as that particular bit of data is:

1. not easily found on the net

2. never mentioned as a significant part of the story about drilling in the media?

No conspiracy theory, here, just pointing out how lazy and inept our media really is.

As to the discussion whether the government has given sweeteheart deals or is getting a fair price for that oil, we, the owners of that oil cannot say.

It should be easily discoverable public information, right?

Am I missing something here?

Why isn't it?

The president gives a speech saying drill and oil drops $9 a barrel. You really do not think that increased drilling will lower the price considerably? We do not need to nationalize oil. You say that oil corporations will be the only ones to profit from domestic drilling. What about the many many jobs it will create even if little oil is found as many liberals claim will be the case in Alaska? What about the land owners who lease to the ones that drill for the oil?

The only ones that will not benefit from the drilling would be the dead beat guy that does not work or drive. He lives off the government so it will not affect him. The politician that keeps his office by preaching hate and fear such as Obama, Hillary, Kerry, and Kennedy have a lot to lose by the US become independent of forgien oil.

The president gives a speech saying drill and oil drops $9 a barrel. You really do not think that increased drilling will lower the price considerably? We do not need to nationalize oil. You say that oil corporations will be the only ones to profit from domestic drilling. What about the many many jobs it will create even if little oil is found as many liberals claim will be the case in Alaska? What about the land owners who lease to the ones that drill for the oil?

The only ones that will not benefit from the drilling would be the dead beat guy that does not work or drive. He lives off the government so it will not affect him. The politician that keeps his office by preaching hate and fear such as Obama, Hillary, Kerry, and Kennedy have a lot to lose by the US become independent of forgien oil.

The leaders of the oil trading market admitted that the last two day drop was completely unexpected. Those are their words. Now in my limited knowledge of the oil market, I believe futures are sold/traded for oil one month in advance. Domestic drilling would not be traded until 5 or more years down the road.

I feel like the "create more jobs" argument is a cop out. Investing more into alt.E will also create more jobs.

It's scientists who claim there is little oil in ANWR. Which is why anti-drilling folks repeat it. You tried to make it sound like science is moot since liberals are repeating it. Do you do the same with Global Warming?

We all lose from drilling, except the oil corporations. When the demand gets so high that people are ready to fight, which will likely happen, then I sure as shit don't want to be sitting back wondering why we drilled in 2010 to knock off 50 cents on a gallon. Do you?

Charlie, you should realize that oil is traded on a world market. The WORLD will have access to any oil we remove from our ground. We would have to nationalize oil, like Venezuela, before we see 700 billion dollars stay at home.

What a load of BS. Every Drop of Oil we get from our own sources instead of over seas sources, Is Money kept here at home rather than sent overseas.

Forum List

Back