Are you proud of what you do for a living?

Does your job make you proud? Do you feel like you are making a difference with your career choice, or is it just a paycheck to you?

I enjoy it so I count myself lucky, so it's more than just a means of getting money. Pride? No, it's a job that nearly anyone can do. I have made a difference in many people's lives doing my job, some have been good changes for them, some have been bad, but I didn't instigate them, just responded to circumstance. When I compare what I do with others, eg in the healing professions, I can see the vagaries. But anyway, I enjoy it.

Any job a person takes that can provide for his or her family and gets the bills paid is a job in which one can be proud.
I don't agree. What if you are a telemarketer? A thief? A broker of adjustable rate mortgages to people who shouldn't have mortgages? Or do any other sort of work which is anti-social?

I don't think work in itself is noble. Only work which actually does good.

Work isn't noble. The people who do it are.

Fucking garbage men are noble, and so are bartenders, when they perform a shitty job to support their families.

[
Fucking garbage men are noble, and so are bartenders, when they perform a shitty job to support their families.

Bartenders are the most noble men and women on this planet, dispensing both nector for the soul and a willing ear for the tounge. Especially the women.

Oh I say!

Garbage men just stink, they are loners who usually have the frozen heads of prostitutes in their freezer.

Does your job make you proud? Do you feel like you are making a difference with your career choice, or is it just a paycheck to you?

What I do will result in the destruction of the human race... Well, except for that John Connor guy. I really hate him.

John Connor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would have been so much funnier without the Wiki link.

Yup, don't worry about the ones who go: Duh, who's John Conner?
(Didn't he play Johnny 5?)

Any job a person takes that can provide for his or her family and gets the bills paid is a job in which one can be proud.
I don't agree. What if you are a telemarketer? A thief? A broker of adjustable rate mortgages to people who shouldn't have mortgages? Or do any other sort of work which is anti-social?

I don't think work in itself is noble. Only work which actually does good.

Work isn't noble. The people who do it are.

Fucking garbage men is a personal choice with which I can dig, but not relate to.....

However -

Bartenders ROCK!!

:beer: Here's to you, Suzy!

Last edited:

What I do will result in the destruction of the human race... Well, except for that John Connor guy. I really hate him.

:lol:

The Mean Old USMB Software said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xsited1 again.

Bummer, X-1!!

:popcorn:

This would have been so much funnier without the Wiki link.

When you have mastered the self control to not click on every link you find, you will have learned, Grasshopper.

I'm happy with and proud of all the jobs I do. My primary one, of course, is wife and homeschooling mother, around which all my other work commitments are scheduled. I'm coming up on my fifteenth anniversary, and just the other day, a street musician downtown asked if we were newlyweds. :) My oldest, with whom relations were rocky during adolescence, now comes over several times a week just to hang out and calls me for advice. The oldest boy still happily gives me hugs and kisses in front of people, and the baby is the most adorable child on the planet. So yeah, I'm good there. :)

On the money side, process serving is a necessary cog in the justice system wheel, and I'm good at it, so I'm pleased. I swore when I was younger that I would never do a job that I thought was frivolous and pointless, after working as a party planner for a boss who gave everyone ulcers over whether the bows matched the flowers on the centerpieces.

To satisfy my artistic urges and make extra money, I make and sell craft items, and there's a profound sense of pleasure and achievement in finishing a project and having people "ooh" and "aah" over it enough to actually give you cash for it. I will be starting an Etsy site for a craft cooperative made up of myself, my mother, and my best friend soon, and if anyone wants to see our stuff, please feel free to ask for the link.

Life is good when you can find things to do with your time and talents that make you and others happy.

Forum List

Back