Are you prepared for an EMP attack?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
In the discussion about China, or some other country invading the US (which has been a VERY GOOD discussion), I was struck by how many seem to have not considered the probability of an EMP attack as the "new wave" in warfare. Much easier and less costly than "conventional warfare," and, to me at least, the logical MO for anyone truly targeting an attack on any "advanced" nation on the planet.

And even if no one is planning an EMP attack, we could still suffer the same affects due to a massive coronal ejection.

Have you prepared, and are you preparing for an EMP attack or massive coronal ejection?

Have you prepared, and are you preparing for an EMP attack or massive coronal ejection?

Oh, of course.

I'm posting from a lead lined bunker powered by my home made nclear power plant.

Isn't everybody?

In the discussion about China, or some other country invading the US (which has been a VERY GOOD discussion), I was struck by how many seem to have not considered the probability of an EMP attack as the "new wave" in warfare. Much easier and less costly than "conventional warfare," and, to me at least, the logical MO for anyone truly targeting an attack on any "advanced" nation on the planet.

And even if no one is planning an EMP attack, we could still suffer the same affects due to a massive coronal ejection.

It matters little if few others are prepared.

Wake up.

Wake up.

One step at a time.

Wake up.

Too many prepared is not good either.

Resources would be VERY limited in a VERY short period of time.

Anarchy would be the norm. Whoever could control or contain it would rule the region.

saw in interesting blurb in pop. mechanics a few years ago,( I will look for the link) a hostile nation or entity using a freighter or some such innocent looking ship of that relative size, could easily, build a leaf hatch in the deck, and underneath put a long range missile on a rail type launch track of a class say Nor Kor has, get within 30 miles of our coast, it set for an air burst at approx. 300 miles above Chicago and knock out the majority of the US's elec. grid.

We need your kind too :)

Don't want that EMP fucking with my brain waves

Otherwise, I prepare for EMP like any other nuclear attack.....I don't

I didn't prepare for Y2K either

Like I said, we need folks like you too.

Good on ya!

I rest peacefully at night knowing that the United States is one mean, nasty, fucking son of a bitch when we are attacked. Any nation with the capability to launch a high altitude EMP attack on our mainland would find themselves quickly obliterated

saw in interesting blurb in pop. mechanics a few years ago,( I will look for the link) a hostile nation or entity using a freighter or some such innocent looking ship of that relative size, could easily, build a leaf hatch in the deck, and underneath put a long range missile on a rail type launch track of a class say Nor Kor has, get within 30 miles of our coast, it set for an air burst at approx. 300 miles above Chicago and knock out the majority of the US's elec. grid.

And therein lies the rub.

We focus so much on who has the weaponry (and there are literally hundreds of organizations with enough weaponry to accomplish a devastating EMP attack on the US, China, Russia, or any large "superpower), and not on the delivery.

The weapons are simple. Anyone with enough money can get them.

Delivery is much more difficult.

I'm not sure one detonation can do it. Modern consensus seems to indicate it would take 4-6 to damage the grid to the point of long-term devastation (longer than 3 months, which is the flash-point for the majority on medication and support).

We focus so much on who has the weaponry (and there are literally hundreds of organizations with enough weaponry to accomplish a devastating EMP attack on the US, China, Russia, or any large "superpower), and not on the delivery.

I'm not sure one detonation can do it. Modern consensus seems to indicate it would take 4-6 to damage the grid to the point of long-term devastation (longer than 3 months, which is the flash-point for the majority on medication and support).

If I remember correctly, the article said that in the extreme case, that is that no. of 6 or so, that hit in a spread across the US, a third of the pop. would be dead in 5 years.

If I remember correctly, the article said that in the extreme case, that is that no. of 6 or so, that hit in a spread across the US, a third of the pop. would be dead in 5 years.

More like 5 months. Recent projections I've read put the immediate impact at 1/3 dead within 3-6 months (the very young, the elderly, and the sick or those on medication). All diabetics would be dead within 4 months (insulin's shelf life being the key factor, as well as the supply). Once the food and medical supplies have evaporated, violence would begin to claim lives quicker than starvation and illness.

At year 5 following a major EMP attack, I would guess that the US population would be 1/3 of what it is now, at best.

Probably closer to 1/4 or fewer.

More like 5 months. Recent projections I've read put the immediate impact at 1/3 dead within 3-6 months (the very young, the elderly, and the sick or those on medication). All diabetics would be dead within 4 months (insulin's shelf life being the key factor, as well as the supply). Once the food and medical supplies have evaporated, violence would begin to claim lives quicker than starvation and illness.

At year 5 following a major EMP attack, I would guess that the US population would be 1/3 of what it is now, at best.

Probably closer to 1/4 or fewer.

humm, I may have mistakenly remember 5 years for 5 months...I see your points.

Sorry to say... nobody is... and very few ever will be.

Forum List

Back