Are You Morally Defective?

I think I get what Arian is saying.. Psychologists/Psychiatrists are just "people" - they are just using man-made ideas and manipulating them to "try" to help others.

Some people are just fucked up and will always be that way.

It's a racket.

A distinction needs to be made between frank psychosis and lesser conditions that can - and should - be treated.

Examples? X vs. Y?
Schizophrenia is defined as psychosis. MRIs reveal distinct differences in the brains of schizophrenics vs non-schizophrenics. Talk therapy seldom helps, because the schizophrenic's ability to process reality is impaired.

Something such as PTSD, to give one example, is the outcome of life experience(s). Someone who's been in combat, a bad auto accident, etc. will display symptoms and behaviors that can be addressed by therapy, often in combination with medications, and can be helped.

What about things like Alcoholism or Sexual Dysfunction?

Addictions (alcohol, controlled substances) can be addressed - again, with a combination of psych therapy and medications, especially meds in the early withdrawal stage - with a great deal of success if the client is willing to stick with the protocol and not relapse.

Sexual dysfunction? I don't know. If it's just physical, there are lots of meds that can solve that. If there's some underlying psychological reason (surviving sexual abuse, for example), then the cause should be addressed.

Think of it this way: You pick up an old, rotten piece of lumber, and you get a sliver in your hand. Do you wash out the injury and slap a Band-aid on it without removing the sliver? Therapy helps you remove the sliver so that you can heal.

I think I get what Arian is saying.. Psychologists/Psychiatrists are just "people" - they are just using man-made ideas and manipulating them to "try" to help others.

Some people are just fucked up and will always be that way.

It's a racket.

A distinction needs to be made between frank psychosis and lesser conditions that can - and should - be treated.

Examples? X vs. Y?
Schizophrenia is defined as psychosis. MRIs reveal distinct differences in the brains of schizophrenics vs non-schizophrenics. Talk therapy seldom helps, because the schizophrenic's ability to process reality is impaired.

Something such as PTSD, to give one example, is the outcome of life experience(s). Someone who's been in combat, a bad auto accident, etc. will display symptoms and behaviors that can be addressed by therapy, often in combination with medications, and can be helped.

What about things like Alcoholism or Sexual Dysfunction?

Addictions (alcohol, controlled substances) can be addressed - again, with a combination of psych therapy and medications, especially meds in the early withdrawal stage - with a great deal of success if the client is willing to stick with the protocol and not relapse.

Sexual dysfunction? I don't know. If it's just physical, there are lots of meds that can solve that. If there's some underlying psychological reason (surviving sexual abuse, for example), then the cause should be addressed.

Think of it this way: You pick up an old, rotten piece of lumber, and you get a sliver in your hand. Do you wash out the injury and slap a Band-aid on it without removing the sliver? Therapy helps you remove the sliver so that you can heal.

I'm not against it. But you have to WANT to change and do work.
Many do not.

Okay, but I mostly stay in this forum or the ObamaCare forum. Can you give me a brief recap, or is it not worth your time?
To Arianrhod: It is easier for you to click on the link I provided than it is for me to copy & paste or type. You cannot be all that interested if that is too much trouble for you.

Okay, but I mostly stay in this forum or the ObamaCare forum. Can you give me a brief recap, or is it not worth your time?
To Arianrhod: It is easier for you to click on the link I provided than it is for me to copy & paste or type. You cannot be all that interested if that is too much trouble for you.

So do I need to read the entire thread or is there a specific post or posts that address psychotherapy?

Cuz I'm really not interested in some rant about the Pope.

"Forcing morality"? Never heard that before. Can you elaborate?
So do I need to read the entire thread or is there a specific post or posts that address psychotherapy?

To Arianrhod: I do not give private lessons to clever liberals. You asked about forcing morality. Read the OP in the thread I cited if you want an answer.

To Arianrhod: I do not give private lessons to clever liberals. You asked about forcing morality. Read the OP in the thread I cited if you want an answer.

The OP is about the Pope. What does he have to do with healthcare in the U.S.?

Last edited:
The OP is about the Pope. What does he have to do with the PPACA?
To Arianrhod: Either you are being too clever, or you are mentally defective. What in hell does the elaboration you asked for have to do with the ACA?
Sorry, I forgot which forum I was in. I was editing my post while you were posting this. Here's the revised version:

Sorry, I forgot which forum I was in. I was editing my post while you were posting this. Here's the revised version:

To Arianrhod: Here’s my revised answer: What in hell does the elaboration you asked for have to do with healthcare in the U.S.?

Don’t bother to respond. This is where I get off:

To Arianrhod: Here’s my revised answer: What in hell does the elaboration you asked for have to do with healthcare in the U.S.?

Don’t bother to respond. This is where I get off.

As you should. Hope you have enough Kleenex. Your link has nothing to do with the topic, but that's typical. Is it morally defective? No, just silly.

Forum List

Back