Are you in favor of a pitch clock?

pitch clock?

• No, tradition for s important

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Yes, the game needs to speed up

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
So when the pitcher takes too long on the mound a bell goes off and then what?....10 or 15 minuets of more wasted time...let the pitcher control the speed of the game....that's the way its always been....
I've seen it in Triple-A parks...It's like the football snap clock...If the pitcher isn't in the process of pitching by the clock expires, a ball is called by the umpire.

Football is a TIMED game. Just as basketball is a timed game, hockey is a timed game, soccer is a timed game.

Baseball is different from ALL of those. A Baseball game can go on indefinitely.
Golf isn't a timed game either....That didn't stop the PGA from telling Sergio Garcia to get the stick out of his ass and hit the ball.

Actually, golf is a timed game. They have 40 seconds from the previous stroke (other player's) to hit the ball. It simply isn't enforced.

No pitch clock in baseball, just give the umps the ability to call a penalty when a player repeatedly holds things up by , for example, stepping out of the box or whatever.

I don't see anything wrong with baseball the way it is.

Yes. Even when I used to live somewhere I could go to games, it was like, "Come on and throw the damned ball already". I haven't gone or watched in several years.

Much of it comes down to bad habits of both the pitcher and the batter

Those habits can be changed

That is the whole point of the clock though--to get them to change habits. Personally, I don't think it is aggressive enough if it doesn't run when there is nobody on base and stops when the pitcher sets.

Yes. Even when I used to live somewhere I could go to games, it was like, "Come on and throw the damned ball already". I haven't gone or watched in several years.

Much of it comes down to bad habits of both the pitcher and the batter

Those habits can be changed

That is the whole point of the clock though--to get them to change habits. Personally, I don't think it is aggressive enough if it doesn't run when there is nobody on base and stops when the pitcher sets.
I think that a pitcher and catcher knowing a clock is running will get them to speed things up

Same with the batters. Used to be if they played games and kept stepping out of the box, they would get one in the ribs

So when the pitcher takes too long on the mound a bell goes off and then what?....10 or 15 minuets of more wasted time...let the pitcher control the speed of the game....that's the way its always been....
I've seen it in Triple-A parks...It's like the football snap clock...If the pitcher isn't in the process of pitching by the clock expires, a ball is called by the umpire.

Football is a TIMED game. Just as basketball is a timed game, hockey is a timed game, soccer is a timed game.

Baseball is different from ALL of those. A Baseball game can go on indefinitely.
Golf isn't a timed game either....That didn't stop the PGA from telling Sergio Garcia to get the stick out of his ass and hit the ball.

Golf isn't a game period.

Too many pitching changes taking too much time. Foul ball after foul ball. Pitchers taking too long between pitcher. Batters stalling. Mound conferences all the time, etc.

Either put a clock on this stuff, or make the game seven innings long.

Too many pitching changes taking too much time. Foul ball after foul ball. Pitchers taking too long between pitcher. Batters stalling. Mound conferences all the time, etc.

Foul balls are up, which is contributing to the length of games

Foul Balls Are The Pace-Of-Play Problem Nobody’s Talking About

" There were almost 14,000 more foul balls last season than there were 20 seasons earlier. In 1998, 26.5 percent of all strikes were foul balls. That share increased to a record 27.9 percent of strikes in 2017 and 27.8 percent last season, the top rates since pitch-level data was first recorded in 1988.

Overall, there were 26,313 more pitches in baseball in 2018 (724,447) than in 1998 (698,134). That’s the equivalent of adding 88 games, or roughly a week, to the schedule."

" There were almost 14,000 more foul balls last season than there were 20 seasons earlier. In 1998, 26.5 percent of all strikes were foul balls. That share increased to a record 27.9 percent of strikes in 2017 and 27.8 percent last season, the top rates since pitch-level data was first recorded in 1988.

Overall, there were 26,313 more pitches in baseball in 2018 (724,447) than in 1998 (698,134). That’s the equivalent of adding 88 games, or roughly a week, to the schedule."
Is that because of more fast balls?

The batters equally slow. Out of box to adjust gloves every pitch. I think hitters are more of the problem? I vote no. Call strikes on slow batters?

However, i think 25 sec clock may organize things a bit? I would like to see when and how they start the clock.

Last edited:
The batters equally slow. Out of box to adjust gloves every pitch. I think hitters are more of the problem? I vote no. Call strikes on slow batters?

However, i think 25 sec clock may organize things a bit? I would like to see when and how they start the clock.
Once the pitcher and catcher develop a cadence they will not worry about the clock

The batter needs to stay in the box. If he asks for time, just say no and allow the pitcher to throw whether he is in or out of the box

Once the pitcher and catcher develop a cadence they will not worry about the clock

The batter needs to stay in the box. If he asks for time, just say no and allow the pitcher to throw whether he is in or out of the box

If the batter steps out of the box, the pitcher then must throw the ball right at the batter and an automatic strike is called, That would liven the game up quite a bit.

Is that because of more fast balls?

They cited a few causes.

Better pitching in general
More use of relief pitching
Less playable foul territory

All of this has resulted in more foul balls being hit than playable balls.

Forum List

Back