Are you giving up smoking in the new year?

Did you know?

After twelve hours almost all of the nicotine is out of your system.

After twenty-four hours the level of carbon monoxide in your blood has dropped dramatically. You now have more oxygen in your bloodstream.

After five days most nicotine by-products have gone.

Within days your sense of taste and smell improves.

Within a month your blood pressure returns to its normal level and your immune system begins to show signs of recovery.

Within two months your lungs will no longer be producing extra phlegm caused by smoking.

After twelve months your increased risk of dying from heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker.

Stopping smoking reduces the incidence and progression of lung disease including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

After ten years of stopping your risk of lung cancer is less than half that of a continuing smoker and continues to decline (provided the disease is not already present).

After fifteen years your risk of heart attack and stroke is almost the same as that of a person who has never smoked.

quitnow - Benefits of quitting

Glad I quit years ago, and I didn't need any help. I just did it.

I think for anyone who smokes more than one or two packs a day, they have to be realistic. One, it may not be real easy but there is a way and you won't be sorry.

I smoked 3-4 packs a day and I quit over a month or so. one cigarette every other day. I used Chantix at the end. I have COPD. I had to quit because I could breathe very well. I wheeze, gasp for air and waited too long to quit. Don't let that happen to you. It's terminal.

I've never been able to quit smoking. :)

Joe:
Don't give up!

Be brave and be stubborn. For 28 days you will work hard on making this change. Face it head on. Accept any pain and discomfort – it’s only temporary.

After 28 days one of two things can happen. You will either revert back to your former habits, or you will keep this change. If you revert back to this old habit, then you have lost nothing. In fact you are likely to have gained. For example if you gave up smoking for 28 days, then you will have saved money and given your health a welcome boost. You are also likely to have learnt about yourself, which you can use to change other habits in the future.

Joe:
Don't give up!

Be brave and be stubborn. For 28 days you will work hard on making this change. Face it head on. Accept any pain and discomfort – it’s only temporary.

After 28 days one of two things can happen. You will either revert back to your former habits, or you will keep this change. If you revert back to this old habit, then you have lost nothing. In fact you are likely to have gained. For example if you gave up smoking for 28 days, then you will have saved money and given your health a welcome boost. You are also likely to have learnt about yourself, which you can use to change other habits in the future.

I have never been able to quit because I've never started.

I don't need any stinking website LOL :p

I quit some months ago :up:

I vap now.

Same here. I quit years ago. I used to smoke more than two packs a day. The second I picked up an e-cig was my last cigarette. I just never wanted one again. Over the years, since I started, I've reduced the nicotine content of my vapes. Some of the more highly flavored juice is nicotine free. I do it just because I like it.

Joe:
Don't give up!

Or, switch to vaping. There's no discomfort, you won't notice. It's way cheaper. There's no 28 days of pain and discomfort.

Years ago I quit smoking for six years. I went through the withdrawal, I white knuckled it all the way. I expected all kinds of health benefits that never quite materialized and I always wanted a cigarette. After six years it wasn't worth it anymore and I started smoking again.

Today, I can't imagine ever having a cigarette.

and that's a good thing from my point of view Luddely , Electronic Cig makers need to make money so they can continue to attract new ' Vapers ' and advertising costs money . Some of the e cigs look really cool and they annoy the heck out of the anti tobacco pipple !!

I've never understood the mentality of picking up the habit to begin with? I get some laughs and some weird looks from teenagers when I compare starting smoking to eating dog poop. If I were with a group of friends that were standing around eating dog poop and one offered me a bite I'd tell him to go to hell because eating dog poop is disgusting. Same with smoking,

Congratulations to all who've quit! It's rough. I used the patch for a couple of weeks, it does take the edge off.

I quit Labor Day, 2003. :)

Forum List

Back