Are you entitled?

Are Americans entitled to medical care?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I picked other, because i don't think anyone is entitled to free healthcare. However I think all americans are entitled to affordable health coverage, if they choose.

Federal government has the power to impose a price for a good or service??

I never said the goverment would set the price. I think the government could and should prevent price gouging and I do think we need healthcare reform.

I think every American who wants to pay for health insurance should be able to have it. That doesn't mean they get it for free, or that they get the best insurance.

I agree.

Everyone who wants to pay for HC should be able to.

The problem with HC in this country is the cost. There is no reform relative to cost in ACA.

As a practical matter yes, because we do not believe in letting people die in the streets (at least not form illness). The elephant in the room has been medical insurance, which has driven up health care costs to a point where even well off individuals can't afford to pay these costs themselves. That is why health care is so much cheaper in most other countries: People are much more careful when spending their own money.

Unfortunately, the idea of medical insurance premiums as a tax free benefit (originally created for labor unions) has become so imbedded in our health care system that there is little we can do at this point. Other than its political implications, government-run health care may be no worse than the monster we have already created.

Insurance hasn't driven up the cost of care, it's the other way around.

Well, if you mean rising health care costs have driven up the cost of medical insurance, you are correct. But the underlying cause of rising health care costs is that health care consumers do not even ask about the cost of any procedure or test; the sky is the limit when the service is "free." Add to that the increased cost of medical malpractice insurance due to unlimited claims awards and you arrive where we are today.

I would suggest that the "free" healthcare (that often includes primary care at the ER - waaay too expensive) that many receive isn't "free" at all. It's recovered by charging insured (and insurance companies) $12 for a friggin' aspirin.

As a practical matter yes, because we do not believe in letting people die in the streets (at least not form illness). The elephant in the room has been medical insurance, which has driven up health care costs to a point where even well off individuals can't afford to pay these costs themselves. That is why health care is so much cheaper in most other countries: People are much more careful when spending their own money.

Unfortunately, the idea of medical insurance premiums as a tax free benefit (originally created for labor unions) has become so imbedded in our health care system that there is little we can do at this point. Other than its political implications, government-run health care may be no worse than the monster we have already created.

Insurance hasn't driven up the cost of care, it's the other way around.

Well, if you mean rising health care costs have driven up the cost of medical insurance, you are correct. But the underlying cause of rising health care costs is that health care consumers do not even ask about the cost of any procedure or test; the sky is the limit when the service is "free." Add to that the increased cost of medical malpractice insurance due to unlimited claims awards and you arrive where we are today.

Right, and add on top of that the cost of hiring staff just to deal with insurance companies, and the cost of keeping up with the latest technology and procedures.

Then again, if americans would just take better care of themselves we may not even be having this conversation. I take great care of myself and can't remember the last time I had I had to go to a doctor, at least for something I didn't do to myself (Five stitches from mountain biking).

Are you entitled to medical care? If you get sick, need medical attention, are you entitled to it, regardless that you can't afford it?

It seems this is a fundamental split in our nation, those that feel medical care is a right, and those that feel its not.

I also chose "other". It's a tough question all the way around. At a personal level I know that I would not refuse someone first aid without cause. I have also been to the Emergency Room at the hospital without insurance. ~shrug~ I usually let folks that are smarter then I am deal with these issues and I just try to take care of my family and pay my bills.

Are you entitled to medical care? If you get sick, need medical attention, are you entitled to it, regardless that you can't afford it?

It seems this is a fundamental split in our nation, those that feel medical care is a right, and those that feel its not.

No.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and and pursuit of happiness and the security of person.

The right to life does not mean that your neighbors have to feed and clothe you. It means you have the right to earn your food and clothes yourself and sometimes that might make hard work and struggle part of your life. You have no right to the fruits of my labor unless I choose to offer them and on that note I often do. I am very generous and will continue to be so but that should happen by the force of government.

I picked other, because i don't think anyone is entitled to free healthcare. However I think all americans are entitled to affordable health coverage, if they choose.

Federal government has the power to impose a price for a good or service??

I never said the goverment would set the price. I think the government could and should prevent price gouging and I do think we need healthcare reform.

I think every American who wants to pay for health insurance should be able to have it. That doesn't mean they get it for free, or that they get the best insurance.

'Affordable' is subjective.. and if you are controlling price to make it subjectively 'affordable' you are indeed giving government the power to set a price

I believe everyone should have the freedom to pay for their healthcare however they want, see fit, or can... Whether that is with insurance or cash or barter or whatever is of no consequence

Yes, absolutely. If you are ill or in a car accident, and brought to the hospital, you will be taken care of medically and the bill will be sent later to you.

there is no westernized country in the world that would turn you away if you were sick or hurt, that I am aware of.... it would be Barbaric, Inhuman, and the work of Evil if you were not helped.....for any reason.

How many of you right wingers saying it is not a right are claiming to be Christians? SHAME ON YOU....!!!! You are a disgrace to the values of Christianity and what Christ taught.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. If you are ill or in a car accident, and brought to the hospital, you will be taken care of medically and the bill will be sent later to you.

there is no westernized country in the world that would turn you away if you were sick or hurt, that I am aware of.... it would be Barbaric, Inhuman, and the work of Evil if you were not helped.....for any reason.

How many of you right wingers saying it is not a right are Christians? SHAME ON YOU....!!!! You are a disgrace to the values of Christianity and what Christ taught.

Do you understand what the word entitled means? Do not wag your finger at some of us. You are as free as I am to be as generous as many of us our with both time and money. You want to force others by using our shared government and that is where I take issue.

Show me where the law of the land as determined by our USC considers healthcare an entitlement?

How many of you right wingers saying it is not a right are Christians? SHAME ON YOU....!!!! You are a disgrace to the values of Christianity and what Christ taught.

Do you understand what the word entitled means? Do not wag your finger at some of us. You are as free as I am to be as generous as many of us our with both time and money. You want to force others by using our shared government and that is where I take issue.

Show me where the law of the land as determined by our USC considers healthcare an entitlement?
I understood her question, it's you that is trying to change it in to gvt paying for it....

I understood her question, it's you that is trying to change it in to gvt paying for it....

Then I am sorry. I misunderstood your post.

She can't because it isn't in the Constitution. Its another entitlement that the fuck in the WH and the Dems have pushed on we taxpayers.

I take issue as well. If she and others want to foot the bill for those without then they can have at it.

I chose the charities I give to and I don't need some asshole giving me a ration of shit because I don't believe as she does.

She can't because it isn't in the Constitution. Its another entitlement that the fuck in the WH and the Dems have pushed on we taxpayers.

I take issue as well. If she and others want to foot the bill for those without then they can have at it.

I chose the charities I give to and I don't need some asshole giving me a ration of shit because I don't believe as she does.

I misunderstood her post so my reply to her was wrong based on what she actually meant versus what I went off on her about there. Foolish knee jerk reaction on my part. I stand by my post but not in the sense on who I directed it to, Care4all.

The only Constitutional entitlement I can think of which forces the public to pay for your stuff is when you are incarcerated and cannot afford an attorney.

Other: not entitled, per se. I just believe that it's wise fiscal policy to have a single payer system that covers everyone. In short, I'd extend Medicare to all age groups.

As long as our country can afford it, medical care should be available to everyone, not just the wealthy and elite. Currently we have doctors traveling to other countries to provide free medical care for poor people that they won't provide that same care to those here in this country. Kind of sad.

Of course, right now I don't think our country can afford a safety pin, we are so deep in debt.

When you talk about rights, they are things we already have and our constitution ensures (or is supposed to) that no government can take them away from us.

Getting healthcare means you have to rely on the labor of others (doctors, nurses, etc) and no one has a right to demand the labor or earnings of others.

Welfare is not an entitlement. It's charity and people should be grateful, as if they ever will be. The only entitlements are those things that people paid into or otherwise earned and were promised something in exchange for years of work or investments.

Universal health care should not be thought of as a "right" but rather as a natural component of any advanced society, as natural as police and fire protection, clean drinking water and disposal of garbage. Inasmuch as almost every other advanced nation in the civilized world has some form of universal health care, why is the United States excluded from this extremely important social necessity? This exclusion is suggestive of plutocracy rather than democracy.

That is the question the corporatist acolytes need to answer.

The federal government is not empowered via the constitution to hand out any entitlement... it is an abuse of power that was assumed by those craving power within our government... this power was grabbed without amendment to the constitution
That empowerment is inherent in the General Welfare clause of the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8.)

Forum List

Back