Are you an Untermenschen? Sure? Willing to bet your life on it?

Sweetheart, I found the Lancet article, read the whole thing and was the first to post it here

Lol. No, sugarpie, you linked to an abstract. I linked to the whole paper. But congrats on reading that whole paragraph. So how long have you been a registered member of the the Lancet? What area of medicine do you practice?

If you're truly worried about EE and not just being a partisan hack, then I think if you research the guy and read some of his stuff, you'll be comforted in that regard. This is a guy who not only opposed euthanasia, but opposed it loudly. Either way, it is insurance companies, not doctors that have the final say in those decisions here at the moment. That should scare the hell out of you.

The whole point of the article was to review existing or suggested processes of decision-making when scarce resources are available:

We evaluate eight simple allocation principles that can be classified into four categories: treating people equally, favouring the worst-off , maximising total benefi ts, and promoting and rewarding social usefulness. No single principle is suffi cient to incorporate all morally relevant considerations and therefore individual principles must be combined into multiprinciple allocation systems.

and

We evaluate three systems: the United Network for Organ Sharing points systems, quality-adjusted life-years, and disability-adjusted life-years.

and

We recommend an alternative system—the complete lives system—which prioritises younger people who have not yet lived a complete life, and also incorporates prognosis, save the most lives, lottery, and instrumental value principles.

I admit I can't find a reference to the idea that scarce medical resources should go to the highest bidder.

Untermensch was also a Nietzchian philosophical concept, long before Nazism... but I have no clue what you're referring to in your thread, so I just thought I'd drop in... also because my handle on other message boards is Ubermensch and, believe me, I have few Nazi sympathies

Forum List

Back