Are You An American?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Are You an American?

I had received an e-mail from Arlie, a new and insightful commenter here, about looking at people as individuals, not racial or religious groups. I e-mailed him back with my opinion, which has led me to this post.

Are You an American? or are you an African-American, Mexican-American, Asian-American, Jewish-American, Muslim-American or White-American of European descent? If you are, then you are NOT an American. An American puts his/her American citizenship first, then their culture of origin second.

Why do people of different race have to be "victims". Blacks still claim being victims of slavery, although slavery has been abolished for over 100 years and discrimination, although Civil Rights laws have been on the books for over 40 years. The Native-Americans (they are the only ones that I feel deserve the dash American name since they were here first) claim oppression by the white, but that happened over 100 years ago. The real answer is, we are ALL Americans, Black, White, Brown, Red, and Yellow, Christian, Jews, Hindus and Muslim and we have all had ancestors that have been oppressed, that is why they came to America. Attitudes can only change if the people see it this way: not I am a African-American, but an American that happens to be Black, I am not a Asian-America, but an American that happens to be of Asian descent, I am not a Muslim, but an American who's faith is Islam. As long as people separate themselves into distinct groups and demand special treatment, we are going to have the problems associated with this separation of thoughts and cultures. There is nothing wrong with wanting to retain aspects of your original culture, but when it becomes more important than being an American, that is where the problem lies.

People that see themselves as being Americans first have the spirit and attitude that what has made this country great. Individuals with fortitude to strive for something better, to enrich everyone's lives, and embracing capitalism, which leads to the great advances in technology, medical sciences, comforts and advanced critical thinking. Being American means loving your country, loving the good and the bad, not wanting to leave because you think the wrong President was elected, supporting the troops, helping those in need without asking for attention or scamming the Gov't. This country is made up of millions of Americans, but if you were to listen to the MSM, you would only find separate groups clamoring for attention and whining about offenses and discrimination.

I feel you can only be a real American if you embrace the American culture and not take on the Dash American mentality, accept being an American first and a whatever second. I love being an American, and I love the different sub-cultures that America has to offer, but NOT at the expense of our American culture.

God Bless America and Americans

Mr Minority

http://mrminority.blogspot.com/2005/11/are-you-american_113098729183078895.html

As a certified, 12.5% by blood decendancy, Cherokee, I have to say that I hate the term "Native American." If you're born here, you're a Native American. If you're decended from the original natives, you're Cherokee or Sioux or Hopi or Algonquin or Iroquois or, if you want to lump everybody in one group, American Indians. I just find the term "Native American" too PC and pretentious. It's like they're trying to make up for genocide with a pretty word.

Hobbit said:
As a certified, 12.5% by blood decendancy, Cherokee, I have to say that I hate the term "Native American." If you're born here, you're a Native American. If you're decended from the original natives, you're Cherokee or Sioux or Hopi or Algonquin or Iroquois or, if you want to lump everybody in one group, American Indians. I just find the term "Native American" too PC and pretentious. It's like they're trying to make up for genocide with a pretty word.

I'll agree with that Hobbit. I'm 1/8 Winnebago indian. My mother is 1/4. She gets a check every month from the nation. My grandmother Carpenter was half Winnebago, and as I remember her by, "little grandma", my great grandmother was full blooded. Her maiden name was "Pond". Full American indian.

I feel I'm an American. There's no need to call myself a "native American", even though I have strong decendant blood.

But the jist of the post is, "why do people feel the need to call themselves african this, irish that, ESPECIALLY when they were BORN in America?"

Pale Rider said:
I'll agree with that Hobbit. I'm 1/8 Winnebago indian. My mother is 1/4. She gets a check every month from the nation. My grandmother Carpenter was half Winnebago, and as I remember her by, "little grandma", my great grandmother was full blooded. Her maiden name was "Pond". Full American indian.

I feel I'm an American. There's no need to call myself a "native American", even though I have strong decendant blood.

But the jist of the post is, "why do people feel the need to call themselves african this, irish that, ESPECIALLY when they were BORN in America?"

From this day forward, I wish to refered to as a Caucasion American. I feel that since my white heritage can be traced as far back as 1750 Virginia, this should be recognized and respected. No one pays attention to the long line of my ascendants that have built this nation from it's very begginings. The term American is not good enough for me. I wish to be a Caucasion American. Change all the forms and please include my new nomanclature in any and all affirmative action privelages. Thank you and good night.

(hopefully everyone picks up on the satire)

onthefence said:
From this day forward, I wish to refered to as a Caucasion American. I feel that since my white heritage can be traced as far back as 1750 Virginia, this should be recognized and respected. No one pays attention to the long line of my ascendants that have built this nation from it's very begginings. The term American is not good enough for me. I wish to be a Caucasion American. Change all the forms and please include my new nomanclature in any and all affirmative action privelages. Thank you and good night.

(hopefully everyone picks up on the satire)

My father, God bless his him, has done an exhaustive geneological research for our family, and yes, my family also originated in Virginia, on his side. Believe it or not, I'm related to Wyatt Earp. My last name is Berry. I know you've never seen a picture of me, but others on this board have, and there's a strong family resemblence...

wyatt.jpg
wyatt_007.jpg

A little late, but I edited in a quick pic I just took of me to compare.

Pale Rider said:
My father, God bless his him, has done an exhaustive geneological research for our family, and yes, my family also originated in Virginia, on his side. Believe it or not, I'm related to Wyatt Earp. My last name is Berry. I know you've never seen a picture of me, but others on this board have, and there's a strong family resemblence...

wyatt.jpg

Cool, 'Stonewall' Jackson is in my bloodline. Can't say there is much family resemblance though. I'm not directly descended, as he had no sons, but there is speculation that Andrew Jackson could be in the family tree as well.

onthefence said:
Cool, 'Stonewall' Jackson is in my bloodline. Can't say there is much family resemblance though. I'm not directly descended, as he had no sons, but there is speculation that Andrew Jackson could be in the family tree as well.

Outstanding. You never know who you really may be related to until you start digging.

I'm 50/50 with the OP.

I do agree with the "American-First" mentality.

I think part of the reason why many people call themselves XXX-American has to do with a disenfranchisement with the system. This is also one of the reasons why we have such low voter turn outs.

However I find comments like:
Blacks still claim being victims of slavery, although slavery has been abolished for over 100 years and discrimination, although Civil Rights laws have been on the books for over 40 years.

UNADULTERATED BULLSHIT!

Redhots said:
I'm 50/50 with the OP.

I think part of the reason why many people call themselves XXX-American has to do with a disenfranchisement with the system. This is also one of the reasons why we have such low voter turn outs.

However I find comments like:

UNADULTERATED BULLSHIT!

What exactly was incorrect about His statement? Slavery has been over for well more than 100 years and civil rights laws have existed for more than 40. There are no slaves nor is their racial discrimination before the Law. So what is BS?

Pale Rider said:

wyatt.jpg
wyatt_007.jpg

A little late, but I edited in a quick pic I just took of me to compare.

Good God, all you need is a badge and a peacemaker. If I see you, I'll remeber that Hell is coming with you. lol

What exactly was incorrect about His statement? Slavery has been over for well more than 100 years and civil rights laws have existed for more than 40. There are no slaves nor is their racial discrimination before the Law. So what is BS?

The claim that with a simple swipe of a pen social problems are magicly fixed.

That they are not victims of racism and even if they are its their own fault.

Redhots said:
The claim that with a simple swipe of a pen social problems are magicly fixed.

That they are not victims of racism and even if they are its their own fault.

How did you get from saying that the fact that slavery has been abolished for over 100 years is bullshit to racism?

And if you don't think blacks still think they're slaves, then why do they all want reparations? They still think they're owed something, AND they all but INSIST that they're refered to as african Americans, even though they were BORN here, and they have NOTHING to do with africa. And another thing, if they're so damned proud of being an african, why the hell don't they fucking move BACK?! No ones making them stay here.

Pale Rider said:
How did you get from saying that the fact that slavery has been abolished for over 100 years is bullshit to racism?

And if you don't think blacks still think they're slaves, then why do they all want reparations? They still think they're owed something, AND they all but INSIST that they're refered to as african Americans, even though they were BORN here, and they have NOTHING to do with africa. And another thing, if they're so damned proud of being an african, why the hell don't they fucking move BACK?! No ones making them stay here.

Because he is a toad, not a frog. Not to mention a :trolls:

Pale Rider said:

That was a snipet.

Why do people of different race have to be "victims".

This isn't a question, it is a statement, it is a complaint. Now comes the reasons they are wrong for claiming to be victims.

Blacks still claim being victims of slavery, although slavery has been abolished for over 100 years and discrimination, although Civil Rights laws have been on the books for over 40 years.

Oh look, see, there were some laws passed that outlawed all the crap they complain about. Their arguments have no basis now. :rolleyes:

As long as people separate themselves into distinct groups and demand special treatment, we are going to have the problems associated with this separation of thoughts and cultures.

And now we come to the "well even if they do have some basis for their claims its only because they insist on being called XXX-Americans. Not because racist shitheads are still alive and strong in this country."

Pale Rider said:

I would say you have a very narrow view of black culture.

I would suggest picking up some books by one or all of the following for starters.

Cornel West
Tavis Smiley
Michael Dyson

They just might surprise you.

Redhots said:
I would say you have a very narrow view of black culture.

I would suggest picking up some books by one or all of the following for starters.

Cornel West
Tavis Smiley
Michael Dyson

They just might surprise you.

So all this boils down to your opinion, and what you think of people that don't think like you do, because you think we're all under-educated on black culture? :wtf:

And this STILL has no basis as an arguement for "why" some blacks and others INSIST on being called XXX-American, even though they were BORN here.

What a crock.

I think I'm about as American as it gets. My mom's side goes back for several generations (though I haven't been able to trace the details), and migrated straight across the Deep South to Texas. On my dad's side, I'm part Indian (Cherokee and Choctaw), and part Anglo-Saxon. My namesake ansector came to Virginia in 1640 to farm tobacco. I am the 10th generation of native-born American from him. So I have no issue calling myself "American" with no hyphens - nor should anyone else who was born here, regardless of race. Those who immigrate to America and still hold citizenship in other countries, I can understand using the hyphenated-American designation.

gop_jeff said:
I think I'm about as American as it gets. My mom's side goes back for several generations (though I haven't been able to trace the details), and migrated straight across the Deep South to Texas. On my dad's side, I'm part Indian (Cherokee and Choctaw), and part Anglo-Saxon. My namesake ansector came to Virginia in 1640 to farm tobacco. I am the 10th generation of native-born American from him. So I have no issue calling myself "American" with no hyphens - nor should anyone else who was born here, regardless of race. Those who immigrate to America and still hold citizenship in other countries, I can understand using the hyphenated-American designation.

Wow, somebody else like me. That's rare. The first of my ancestors arrived here with the first of colonists and the last ones were here before 1700. I even have one that I'm directly descended from who signed the Declaration of Independance.

gop_jeff said:

Exactly. If you're born here, there shouldn't be any hyphenation to your origin at all.

Pale Rider said:
So all this boils down to your opinion

Yes, opinions, facts, and observations... same as your view.

Pale Rider said:
and what you think of people that don't think like you do, because you think we're all under-educated on black culture? :wtf:

You're misatributing what I've said. I wasn't calling you or anyone else in this thread a "racist shithead". I wasn't even calling the author one.

As far as being "under-educated" you've added a harder edge to what I said (I wasn't trying to imply that you're stupid) than what was intended when I used "narrow" (that your perception of the culture is rather limited).

I tossed out the names of those authors in an atempt to help you expand your view if you're interested in doing so.

Anyway.

What I took issue with was the author being so glib about minority's complaints of racism.

I was pointing out that they have very legitimate reasons for being pissed or as he put it "claiming to be victims".

Pale Rider said:
And this STILL has no basis as an arguement for "why" some blacks and others INSIST on being called XXX-American, even though they were BORN here.

Well, thats because the part that you've taken issue with, doesn't.

I touched on that at the start of my post.

Redhots said:
I'm 50/50 with the OP.

I think part of the reason why many people call themselves XXX-American has to do with a disenfranchisement with the system.

I was just pointing out one reason why I think some people choose to call themselves Whatever-Americans... if you don't understand why people think and act the way they do how can you expect to bring about real change?

Again, I think racial issues would improve a lot if less people identified themselves as XXX-Americans.

Here's a catch though. We just can't think of ourselves as Americans-First, we have to think of everyone as Americans-First, even if they don't, yet.

So when we see an article about the dispaportionate number of young black men in prision we can't just see it as a black problem.... we have to see it as our problem, as an American problem. Otherwise things will never really change.

To barrow an old song lyric: We may rise and fall, but in the end we'll meet our fate together.

Forum List

Back