~Are You Afraid To Die??~

Everyone is afraid of something....and a lot of people are afraid to die.

How about you??

Does it enter your thoughts often?? Do you wonder how you will make your exit??
Does it cause you worry??

Or is it something clearly way far back in the back of your mind??.......and it really doesn't come into your thoughts much??

Naah, strange though how that many who call themselves Christian are the ones who are most afraid to go and tend to try anything to hang on.
This is based on my observations in life.

the poor brain dead girl in Girl in FL comes to mind and how those on the religious right fought tooth and nail to keep her body alive.

I do not believe in any for m of after life either. Dead is just the end to me.

With you mentioning how some people want to hang on for as long as they can...it made me think of my Dad (step-father).....
He was a total meanass to me......very abusive....and I've already told some stories of how bad it was for me in my childhood, because of him...and I grew up thinking I would hate him, but.....I forgave him.......years before we lost my Mother.
But...when my Dad was dying.....he wanted ALL means allowable to keep him alive, keep him breathing.....he was a man who was afraid to die (that's how I saw it).
My Mother had a DNR.....and she in no way, no how, wanted to be kept alive on any kind of machine or anything....and Thank God, she was never in any pain...she passed in her sleep....she looked so peaceful lying there, as if she was simply asleep. I felt so blessed about that part.
But now my Dad......with him being so hateful and mean........he suffered before he died. I watched him suffer for 2 days...it was horrible.
And yet.....he had signed for the hospital to take all precautions, to try and save his life.
In the end.........after many unsuccessful attempts.....they had to look and ask me if I wanted them to keep trying......noting how much stress it was on my Dad's body....and that it probably wouldn't help at all.
I silently told them....No.....to stop.

It sticks in my mind so much.......my Mother, someone who was kind and compassionate and caring and loving and just so perfect........didn't want her life prolonged.
And my Dad, who was hateful and mean and always full of anger.......wanted so desperately to live.

My dad died in Nam. I was very young but I remember to this day how 'Da' (my grandfather) took it. My mom said that the worst thing for a parent was to loose a child. I'm not afraid to die, but need to hang in there for her.

I have a medical condition that could cause my death in the next 5 minutes or maybe as far out as the next 5 years (doubtful). I am not afraid to die. I have lived a wonderful full life, and enjoyed 95% of it. I've been places and done things that I never dreamed I would ever do. If I dropped dead in the next 5 minutes I would have nothing to complain about. Time is too short for me to sit around and wonder about when I might die. Hey, when it gets here, it'll be here. I'll miss friends and the wife but I believe there is more to an afterlife than just laying around being worm food. I believe in God, and when I get up there I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask him... I look forward to seeing my parents again and lots of dogs that have died before me. There are far more things in life that are worst then dying.

How about you??

Or is it something clearly way far back in the back of your mind??.......and it really doesn't come into your thoughts much??

I routinely contemplate suicide. I do not like life and want to be dead. Unfortunately I made commitments to my family ( by creating it) and can't just bail on them. Well so far that has worked. Plus the meds I am on now make the thoughts a lot less pressing, easier to shrug off and continue. Before we found this mix of meds there were days I simply laid in bed unable to move, because if I did I would have killed myself.

I am very stubborn. And this commitment thing is very important to me.

So I am not afraid of dying. But I think about it all the time.

I'm in the same boat. I have kids and they depend on me. Otherwise, life seems like an unnecessary inconvenience to me. I'm not afraid of death itself, but I do have a very strong instinct to live which is why I am still here. Too bad.

Every moment of my life after my birth has been spent approaching my death.
I do not fear death.
Why fear that which is inevitable?
I would be afraid if I were to live forever.

My dad died in Nam. I was very young but I remember to this day how 'Da' (my grandfather) took it. My mom said that the worst thing for a parent was to loose a child. I'm not afraid to die, but need to hang in there for her.
OUCH. Another good man dead because of the never ending lies of The Great Satan:mad:. I lost my brother and favorite cousin to that horseshit. I begged them to roll on down the road. I was about 15 at the time.The hot spots back then were Mexico and Argentina.
Bro was an excellent carpenter and cuz was one hell of a truck mechanic. They could have lived wonderful lives abroad...... I should say "be living" They'd both be about 63 today.

How about you??

Naah, strange though how that many who call themselves Christian are the ones who are most afraid to go and tend to try anything to hang on.

the poor brain dead girl in Girl in FL comes to mind and how those on the religious right fought tooth and nail to keep her body alive.

With you mentioning how some people want to hang on for as long as they can...it made me think of my Dad (step-father).....
He was a total meanass to me......very abusive....and I've already told some stories of how bad it was for me in my childhood, because of him...and I grew up thinking I would hate him, but.....I forgave him.......years before we lost my Mother.
But...when my Dad was dying.....he wanted ALL means allowable to keep him alive, keep him breathing.....he was a man who was afraid to die (that's how I saw it).
My Mother had a DNR.....and she in no way, no how, wanted to be kept alive on any kind of machine or anything....and Thank God, she was never in any pain...she passed in her sleep....she looked so peaceful lying there, as if she was simply asleep. I felt so blessed about that part.
But now my Dad......with him being so hateful and mean........he suffered before he died. I watched him suffer for 2 days...it was horrible.
And yet.....he had signed for the hospital to take all precautions, to try and save his life.
In the end.........after many unsuccessful attempts.....they had to look and ask me if I wanted them to keep trying......noting how much stress it was on my Dad's body....and that it probably wouldn't help at all.

It sticks in my mind so much.......my Mother, someone who was kind and compassionate and caring and loving and just so perfect........didn't want her life prolonged.
And my Dad, who was hateful and mean and always full of anger.......wanted so desperately to live.

I believe that most who are afraid of dying, are really those afraid of what awaits after death.

Take it from me. Your mom was spot on.

How about you??

I hope the point you are illustrating isn't that it's hateful and mean to want to live.

You cannot really know if you fear death and dying until you think you are dying.

We can imagine that we fear it or not fear it, but really how can ya know?

You cannot really know if you fear death and dying until you think you are dying.

We can imagine that we fear it or not fear it, but really how can ya know?

When in combat and people are dying all around and you get hit one can come close.
Or when things get bad enough death does not look so bad.

I'm not afraid of death, but dying....yeah, that worries me. There are plenty of bad ways to go, things that linger, painful, drawn-out deaths. Now, I'm someone who is unlikely to live through those kinds of things, I'd just kill myself rather than suffer through a long illness, but what if that's not possible? What if the illness weakens me so that suicide isn't an option, or becomes exceedingly difficult? And then, if I am going to kill myself, how to go about it? What's the quickest and least painful way to do it, while at the same time making sure I'm not caught in the act and 'saved' and also that I'm not screwing anyone over too much, leaving a corpse on their property or anything like that?

Death is fine. Dying is concerning.

Handgun, one shot to the temple. Can't help with the mess you leave.

That's not guaranteed either.
My BIL tried that...and failed. He ended up blind and on medications for seizures. Other than that, his speech and everything else was not affected....talking to him you'd never think anything was wrong with him. He did finally have a seizure that took him about 5 yrs later.

I hope the point you are illustrating isn't that it's hateful and mean to want to live.

Not at all........I was stating that I firmly believe my Dad was afraid to die....because he was afraid of what he was going to face....on the other side.....if there is an other side.

How about you??

Not afraid, but I am in no hurry to leave at this time. Dieing does cross my mind now and again. Mostly the financial aspect of it, and what I can do to leave something for my family. Im more afraid of spiders.

Last edited:

How about you??

Or is it something clearly way far back in the back of your mind??.......and it really doesn't come into your thoughts much??[/QUOTE]

When one is living life to the fullest, one ( I ) is not afraid of death.

But I do seriously mean that if Obama should be reelected for four more years, I would rather die than live without my freedom. I'll go down with my ship, but on MY terms....

I accept Death as a companion whom I'll ultimately have to walk with. Doesn't make me suicidal or reckless; just means that I accept the fact that we all die. When I was in the military, Death was easier to deal with because it was part of the risk that comes with the job. However, as I grew older, and attended more funerals, I've had to bury good friends who survived combat but died in freak accidents or of things like cancer. It wasn't their deaths that bothered me but the effect it had on their loved ones and the unfinished business they left behind.

I think it was Helen Hayes, the actress, who once said that the secret to her long life was to live each day like it was going to be her last. She lived to be 93. That's how I try to live it: no regrets, no worries, no unfinished business. Puts things in perspective and you learn not to get worked up over things.

No....
I am curious about it.
Wonder if there is anything after this life.
I also find comfort in the fact that if the world
turns out to be a shit pile for one reason or another
I have it in my power to end it if I so desire.

The only thing I "worry" about is being taken out
in a violent and painful way.
Or for some Godforsaken reason I end up becoming a Democrat.

That would pretty much suck....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back