Are you a Survivor?

bigrebnc1775, your drawing our attention to the necessities of being a competent survivalist are commendable. But it's just that from reading through this thread, you come across as someone who's rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the world falling from its axis and turning inside-out. Instead of someone who's prepared for a vehicle breakdown in heavy weather.

The real suvivors know where the suvivalists live and have planned accordingly.

All I have to say is bring baby. We will use them as target practice

LOL.

Just keep telling yourself that

That's all we ask.

You think we haven't planned for people like you. I suggest if you don't have a well armed grouped of 100 or more don't bother because we are trained for those who think they can.

bigrebnc1775, your drawing our attention to the necessities of being a competent survivalist are commendable. But it's just that from reading through this thread, you come across as someone who's rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the world falling from its axis and turning inside-out. Instead of someone who's prepared for a vehicle breakdown in heavy weather.

Actually no I am not. Do not let my confidence that I can take care of myself along with my friends appear to be gleeful. I only smile when someone makes a silly comment, when I am trying to help people.

Just watching current events it looks like a broken down care in 10" of snow is the least of Peoples worries. But if I am wrong people have things set aside that they can use. Nothing wasted.

i can hold up for several months..gravity feed water supply.....fully stocked pantries....generator...but gas wouldnt last that long....my problem...not enough ammo...i am not stocked up on ammo due to the high prices of it ...at this time...i have enough rice and dry stuff for 3 months or more...shelves of canned good...green beans, corn, pickled beets...soups...dried mushrooms, apples, blueberries, strawberries..canned jams...tons of coffee...dryed milk....not nearly enough liquor

medical supplies...i got those...most likely i could use more

if we have a nuclear thing...dont count on hunting as a source of food and dont assume your water supply will last....any type of large explosion could fracture the ground for who knows how far away...causing your well to dry up...

o and my septic is self contained...but i really dont think in the aftermath of some horrid event i am gonna care where i mal.

i can hold up for several months..gravity feed water supply.....fully stocked pantries....generator...but gas wouldnt last that long....my problem...not enough ammo...i am not stocked up on ammo due to the high prices of it ...at this time...i have enough rice and dry stuff for 3 months or more...shelves of canned good...green beans, corn, pickled beets...soups...dried mushrooms, apples, blueberries, strawberries..canned jams...tons of coffee...dryed milk....not nearly enough liquor

if we have a nuclear thing...dont count on hunting as a source of food and dont assume your water supply will last....any type of large explosion could fracture the ground for who knows how far away...causing your well to dry up...

o and my septic is self contained...but i really dont think in the aftermath of some horrid event i am gonna care where i mal.

If you have 7.62x39 Wal mart has a box of 20 for 4.65
If you have a 45 or 9 mm 12 gauge comb pack they also have ammo priced pretty good.
Go to the next gun show near your location. I picked up a can of 7.62x 54r for 80.00 450 rounds per can.
As for your waste products you better care where you depose of them. They can contaminate your water supply or even attract insects that spread dieases.

Last edited:
my water supply is at the top of the ridge...water will be the biggest problem....as people find out those 5 gals of water aint enough ......how much water does one person need for a year..and where are y ou gonna store it?

Sounds like we have similar set ups bones, except you can't crack sand like we have here. The water table is probably only 15 feet below me, if that, and it has been for thousands of years. I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I've got lots of oil lamps too and a few gallons of oil, so I'd have light in case there wasn't any gas for the generator. I collect the oil lamps. I love the light and the smell of the old kerosene ones. I have several old Aladdins that are worth a small mint.

Last edited:
I'll tell ya big reb, I think this advice is mostly for the city slickers that know nothing of how to do something for themselves. Food, they buy off a shelf. Water, comes out of tap. Heat, comes from their furnace, and etc., etc.. Now us country folk do things a tad different. Take me for instances, my home has it's own well. I will never run out of clean water. I have my own septic system. I have my own generator, I'll never be without electricity, (as long as I can buy gas). I have a huge garden that I grow my own vegetables in. I have hundreds upon thousands of acres of land around me to hunt wild game on. I have fire arms, two four wheel drive trucks, a pantry full of canned goods, firewood if need be, and yes, I could even defend this place.

But I get what you're saying. People should prepare. In a city like L.A. or NYC, if the trucks ever stopped rolling and the food and water ran out, those people would be killing each other inside of three days. There'd be absolute pandemonium. Not here where I'm at. It wasn't that long ago and people were totally self sufficient anyway. We haven't forgotten how.

I'd pity the city slickers, and help who I could IF they were trying to help themselves. But those that have the, "well I'll just lay down and die then" attitude, well do it then, lay down and die... bye. What's that? Can you have a drink of water? No... just die.

You can't help most city slickers anymore. A lot of them are a generation or more away from living off the land. I grew-up on a farm & my family & I have over a 1000 acres between us that we all take time out of our lives to farm every year. Living off the grid was standard operating procedure where I grew up & most of it is not that far removed from it today.

We have been perfecting our gardening technique over the past 5 years. We have tried green house, virgin soil (cotton burr) raised beds, artificial lighting, & hydroponics, landscape fabrics, etc. I found them all expensive, high maintenance & energy consuming.

I made a very useful discovery 2 year ago. I started picking up discarded carpeting from homes. People throw it away or give it away. I cover the garden plot with this & cut holes where I insert my starter plants. I also leave a 1 inch gap if I want a row of something. Plastic & landscape fabric always blow away but carpet stays put. It lets all the water through, prevents erosion, weeds & deters critters from eating the plants. I use less fertilizer because I only fertilize in the plant holes & gaps. The weeds no longer use up the fertilizer instead of the veggies. I don't need to use herbicides to kill weeds or pull weeds. There is no maintenance other than watering during dry spells.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
i have a few oil lamps....mostly antiques....

we use a combo of raised beds....we start planting cooler weather crops in feb under cloaks....
i would not put carpeting on the garden...i would be afraid of what can leech out of the carpet into the soil...we use plastic to cover a bed and kill the weeds....then use paper to cover the bed...plant in the holes in the paper....

ooooo you never realize how stupid city people are...till you see something like this...current season of survivors...they get the reward...two chickens and a rooster...the dumb asses kill one of the chickens...i am not sure what the thinking was there

my water supply is at the top of the ridge...water will be the biggest problem....as people find out those 5 gals of water aint enough ......how much water does one person need for a year..and where are y ou gonna store it?

I have a suggestion that might help you with water collection. But it will take a little effort and a couple of people to help you. That is if you are willing.
Make a wheel out of wood like you see on a grist mill. You do not need to make one as big. But anyway place a handle in the middle of the wheel so you can turn it by hand Handle would be something like a bicycle peddle the wheel would operate the same way. Next make you container that will be able to catch water that you are dumping from your water wheel, have a 4 and 5/8 dia. hole in the bottom of you hold tank take 4 in PVC pipe insert it in the hole about half and in sticking up inside your holding tank. then take a 4 in PVC coupling cut about a half in off of the coupling and glue the half in piece to the pipe, Calk the bottom of the holding tank where the pipe sticks through. Depending on the distance from your water source and your house that will determine how much 4 in pipe couplings and fittings you may need. OK run the pipe from your water source to a storage area that you have created. Anything will work even an old fish tank, that is if you have one of those big ones on hand.
When you need water instead of taking a milk jug you can go to the wheel turn it by hand until you have filled you container near your house.

I'll tell ya big reb, I think this advice is mostly for the city slickers that know nothing of how to do something for themselves. Food, they buy off a shelf. Water, comes out of tap. Heat, comes from their furnace, and etc., etc.. Now us country folk do things a tad different. Take me for instances, my home has it's own well. I will never run out of clean water. I have my own septic system. I have my own generator, I'll never be without electricity, (as long as I can buy gas). I have a huge garden that I grow my own vegetables in. I have hundreds upon thousands of acres of land around me to hunt wild game on. I have fire arms, two four wheel drive trucks, a pantry full of canned goods, firewood if need be, and yes, I could even defend this place.

But I get what you're saying. People should prepare. In a city like L.A. or NYC, if the trucks ever stopped rolling and the food and water ran out, those people would be killing each other inside of three days. There'd be absolute pandemonium. Not here where I'm at. It wasn't that long ago and people were totally self sufficient anyway. We haven't forgotten how.

I'd pity the city slickers, and help who I could IF they were trying to help themselves. But those that have the, "well I'll just lay down and die then" attitude, well do it then, lay down and die... bye. What's that? Can you have a drink of water? No... just die.

If you can grow corn you will never be without gas.

ooooo you never realize how stupid city people are...till you see something like this...current season of survivors...they get the reward...two chickens and a rooster...the dumb asses kill one of the chickens...i am not sure what the thinking was there
They were living for the moment. Never kill what will be able to produce your next meal.

i have a few oil lamps....mostly antiques....

we use a combo of raised beds....we start planting cooler weather crops in feb under cloaks....
i would not put carpeting on the garden...i would be afraid of what can leech out of the carpet into the soil...we use plastic to cover a bed and kill the weeds....then use paper to cover the bed...plant in the holes in the paper....

You can used colored plastic as a mulch. The color red helps certain plants produce more crops.

I'll tell ya big reb, I think this advice is mostly for the city slickers that know nothing of how to do something for themselves. Food, they buy off a shelf. Water, comes out of a facet. Heat, comes from their furnace, and etc., etc.. Now us country folk do things a tad different. Take me for instance, my home has it's own well. I will never run out of clean water. I have my own septic system. I have my own generator, I'll never be without electricity, (as long as I can buy gas). I have a huge garden that I grow my own vegetables in. I have hundreds upon thousands of acres of land around me to hunt wild game on. I have fire arms, two four wheel drive trucks, a pantry full of canned goods, firewood if need be, and yes, I could even defend this place.

i'm a slicker. surviving in the city is definitely different, and i've seen some county folks leave on that midnight train when there wasn't any disaster happening at all. i'm with you as far as the lay down and die folks or those who cant tough it out in the wild. i like leaving the city for some respite in the rough (i've moved to a smaller city altogether now). i'm a half-decent survivalist, although i think i'm best set up for survival at sea. the old ass boats i've had have verified the fact.

Forum List

Back