Are you a small business owner? What business, and how's it going?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
In this economy, I'm curious as to what other small business owners are doing and how their businesses are faring. I had heavy equipment companies for a while, but got out when the writing was on the wall for housing. For the past 3 years I've been in guns and pawn and things are going well. The worse the economy gets, the busier we are. We literally sell handguns faster than we can get them.

So pawn and guns are going great.

What business are you in, and how is it faring in this horrible economy?

I'm not, but I have several friends who own small businesses. Things are looking down generally. Gun sales were way up right after the election, but the frenzy is over, ammo's going back down, and a friend of mine who owns a gun store is having trouble making ends meet now. Another friend who owns a small appliance sales and service shop is shutting down after this year, but he's retirement age anyway, so he'll be fine, and it's just he and his wife working the shop, so no one will unwillingly lose their job. Another friend of mine is a taxidermist, and business last year was good. This year is still an unknown since hunting season isn't here yet. A friend who owns a plumbing company is doing okay, but he does mostly commercial, and another friend who owns a plumbing company that does residential repair says work is way down- people aren't fixing anything besides emergencies and remodeling is pretty dead. I could go on, but you're probably already bored.:D

Beef is still selling high. I am not sure why with the prices of steak in the grocery.
Cows are the only business I am in now.

Except for sticking my nose in others business on here.

Beef is still selling high. I am not sure why with the prices of steak in the grocery.
Cows are the only business I am in now.

Except for sticking my nose in others business on here.

Have you seen the price of hamburger & low end cuts of meat? They have more than doubled as more people are forced to choose them over the high end stake.

It is like that everywhere. The cheap stuff that poor people need is high because the producers no longer have many rich people to gouge for profits while they sell to the poor at cost.

My wife & I both have business of our own & they are both in the shitter. We have both fired all of our employees & been helping each-other run them our selves while trying to figure out what to do next. It has come to the end of the line & we have both decided to close up shop. We are in the process of selling hers to a buyer & in 30 days I am closing mine & taking a long vacation until we get a job or come with up something profitable.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back