Are you a racist, but not be aware of it?

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Grace, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Just some food for thought.
    The thread about the black man raping the elderly dying woman is what got this particular seed growing in my head. I didn't notice BLACK until someone else pointed it out. My first initial thought was...."why did this supposedly caring son send his dying mother away to die alone?". Second thought was the rape. Third thought and after reading a few replies was the race of the perp.

So now my mind is flittering hither and yon. Would I have noticed if the thread was titled WHITE man rapes elderly woman as she dies? Or WHITE man rapes BLACK elderly woman as she dies? What would have been my initial reaction to the post itself if that were the case? Would I have still first thought of the woman being sent away to die by her "loving" son? I would like to think so. But...I don't know for sure.

So that makes me wonder. Can one be racist to a certain degree and just not be aware of it?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I can't shut off my brain.
    What if I were a member of a predominantly black message board and a black person made a thread such as the one in question. Would the same questions arise in me?

Someone make it stop.

3. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    What exactly do you mean by racist? That word means different things to different people. I once heard a young girl who called a talk-radio program say, "My father is racist against cats."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    The OP made it about race with his thread title.

5. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    I think you know exactly what is being meant by it.

The word is thrown around way too much.

6. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    After reading the OP's commentary after some posts..yes. I believe that as well. However, if he/she hadn't have commented further, I would not have thought it as racist. Why? Because when a crime is committed, a description is needed. Race.
    If one is in a crowded pub and you are with your girlfriends and across the room a group of men were catching your interest.....how would you whisper to your friends which one you wished would come over to talk with you? What if they are all wearing tshirts and they were different "hues" of skin color? "The guy second to the left"? Or make it more obvious to say "the asian guy"...or "the black guy"...or "the white guy".

Does that make one racist?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
  8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    An acquaintence of mine was at the post office the same time I was. It was a very long line of people. All "white". She came in and saw the line and we commenced to talk back and forth with numerous people between us. She said she was moving to Sedona Arizona and I said lucky her..it is beautiful there. We just jabbered, as acquaintences tend to do when they see each other. She then said "I hope there are more black people there than here" and I was surprised..so I said "huh?" and she said "well, since I'm black, I'd like to be around more blacks". The first thing that came to my mind and then immediately came out of my mouth was "OMG!!! You're...BLACK? And all this time I thought....OMG! You ARE black! There goes the neighborhood!" and she busted up...along with everyone else in line.
    Then I hugged her goodbye before I left the PO.

Was she racist for saying that? Was I racist for making a joke out of it and laughing along with her?

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
  10. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I glanced at it. This thread isn't to "out" any supposed presumed racist members of USMB. I am questioning myself and wondering if others feel as confused as I am when it comes to racism and maybe not being aware of it. I don't think I am. But maybe I am in some ways but am not aware of it.