Are you a law breaker?

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
I was thinking about this in the hidden camera at PP thread, so I was wondering what others thought of this hypothetical situation:

You're driving in your car in the middle of the night. You come to a red light. You can see there is no one coming for at least a mile in any direction. The light is stubbornly not changing to green. Do you wait it out or go through the red light?

The point of the question is, the intent of the law is negligible, there is no traffic to control, there is no danger in proceeding, do you follow the law anyway?

I was thinking about this in the hidden camera at PP thread, so I was wondering what others thought of this hypothetical situation:

You're driving in your car in the middle of the night. You come to a red light. You can see there is no one coming for at least a mile in any direction. The light is stubbornly not changing to green. Do you wait it out or go through the red light?

The point of the question is, the intent of the law is negligible, there is no traffic to control, there is no danger in proceeding, do you follow the law anyway?

Depends.

In the middle of the night and say the light is taking forever because the city traffic department does not know how to program lights then yes I go through the light.

Last edited:
As it is I break the law each time I pull out of my driveway. So yes, I most likely would go through lights like that.

On lots of things. Do I know the road in question? Have I seen it during the day and traveled it so I know if there are any dips or turns I simply do not see in the dark? How tired am I? Where am I going? Do I think it is a speed trap? Those are the easy ones.

I have and will again run lights, but not just "cause"

depends on where the light is and how heavily the road is traveled...here we drive some roads in the full moon with out lights off....so yea we are bonnie and clyde....

I break traffic laws all the time if no one is around to witness it. It's like a tree falling in the woods.

If I'm at a red light and there's no one coming anywhere in the vicinity, I go. I don't use turn signals unless someone is actually behind me, because otherwise that's like you're just talking to yourself.

Not only would I drive through the light (Lawbreaker), but I would be suckin' on a Jawbreaker while telling my girlfriend to get lost (Heartbreaker).

When I was younger and in that situation, I'd run it. I used to drive with a terrible - and largely groundless - urgency.

Now, in that situation, I think "eh, whatever," and just cool my heels 'til it changes. I've also fallen into the habit of driving at, rather than above, the posted speed limit. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

When I was younger and in that situation, I'd run it. I used to drive with a terrible - and largely groundless - urgency.

Now, in that situation, I think "eh, whatever," and just cool my heels 'til it changes. I've also fallen into the habit of driving at, rather than above, the posted speed limit. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
I used to drive the same way when I was younger, I always needed to get their faster then everyone else. Of course I got six speeding tickets in a year and was placed on traffic probation. Now I have a child and it is a different story!
I have not gotten a speeding ticket since 2002 which is very good for me.

It depends on how long the light stays red. If it stays red for more than 5 minutes and there is no other traffic, I have to assume it is broken, so I will look both ways, and then go.

I break traffic laws all the time if no one is around to witness it. It's like a tree falling in the woods.

If I'm at a red light and there's no one coming anywhere in the vicinity, I go. I don't use turn signals unless someone is actually behind me, because otherwise that's like you're just talking to yourself.

I use turn signals all the time, that makes it habit. That way I won't forget to use it when someone is behind me, or in front of me, or whatever.

"Breaking the law, Breaking the law"

There I was completely wasting! Our of work and down!
All inside its so frustrating as I drift from town to town!
Feel as though NOBODY cares, If I live or die!!
SO I MIGHT AS WELL BEGIN
TO PUT SOME ACTION IN MY LIFE!

Arrghhh, Judas Priest!11

(I'd probably run through it).

Forum List

Back