Are you a Christian?

How do you define your religious beliefs?

• Total voters

CivilLiberty

Nov 13, 2004
Hollywood
I'm curious about the spectrum of religious beliefs on US Message Boards, especially for those that post in the Politics and USA Chat areas.

The subject of religion comes up alot, so I'm curious about the various beliefs held here by members.

Regards,

Andy

There was another thread a short while ago that asked, "what religion do you follow?"

If you find that thread you probably will have many of your questions answered as to the belief systems of those on this board.

moving this to the religion forum

Sorry if was in the wrong forum - though I placed it there because I was curious about the people that specifically frequent "gen USA" and "Politics".

A

CivilLiberty said:
Sorry if was in the wrong forum - though I placed it there because I was curious about the people that specifically frequent "gen USA" and "Politics".

A

Then I would suggest simply asking members who post on those threads what their religion is.

dilloduck said:
Then I would suggest simply asking members who post on those threads what their religion is.

I thought it would be easier having a poll that people could click.

A

CivilLiberty said:
I thought it would be easier having a poll that people could click.

A

It seems to be working. Many have answered the poll. If you click on the number for each of them you can see who voted which way.

gop_jeff said:
I voted for the first option, though there is a theological difference between an evangelical and a fundamentalist.

I do recognize that, but I was trying to keep the categories fairly broad.

As long as we're on the subject, how do you define the differences from evangelical, Fundamentalist, and born again?

Andy

I think your survey is skewed (as most liberal surveys are). Where are the "non-practicing" categories for fundamentalist, evangelical, born again, atheist, secular humanist, and agnostic?

You have attached behavioral conditions to the Christian category.

ScreamingEagle said:
I think your survey is skewed (as most liberal surveys are). Where are the "non-practicing" categories for fundamentalist, evangelical, born again, atheist, secular humanist, and agnostic?

You have attached behavioral conditions to the Christian category.

This is because that is the data I was interested in. In another survey in this same forum, there is a poll that is even broader - it has a single entry for "Christian".

A

CivilLiberty said:
This is because that is the data I was interested in. In another survey in this same forum, there is a poll that is even broader - it has a single entry for "Christian".

A

OK, live in your biased little bubble.

CivilLiberty said:
Okay, I'll bite - what's the bias you perceive, and how would you re-write the questions?

A

Personally, don't put fundementalist in the same category as anything else.

The rest, very broad. However, given that you are the one doing the polling, ok, yet, understand, that you will be handed a "broad" range of data, of which, will not truly answer the question you seek, as it is broad. That is, unless, you seek "broad" data. Keep in mind if this a system of determining results, then you should consider this:

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

Yeah, ye old scientific method. Nonetheless, understand that with a broad "group of phenomena" you will get very "broad" results

Good luck!

Yurt

CivilLiberty said:
Okay, I'll bite - what's the bias you perceive, and how would you re-write the questions?

A

"How do you define your religious beliefs?" heads your list of choices.

The choices you list (at least for Christians) imply that the action of going to church or not somehow defines a person's religious beliefs. That's what I see as an implicit form of bias. And what if I was an Evangelical Christian but rarely attended a church - which category would I choose? In fact, one could claim that all Christians would fall under your category of "Born-Again" for Jesus said: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). For most this is achieved through baptism.

As indicated, I'd start by making a better list of the various categories of religions/beliefs. If you are trying to breakdown the Christian category you probably need to include some definitions for the sub-categories of Fundamentalist, Born Again, etc. Also, where are your Christian sub-categories for Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Russian Orthodox, etc.? And what happens if someone is a Born-Again Fundamental Baptist?

If I wanted to know how often people went to church or else "practiced" their beliefs (whole new ball of wax) I'd make that a separate issue.

ScreamingEagle said:
The choices you list (at least for Christians) imply that the action of going to church or not somehow defines a person's religious beliefs.

Then you are misinterpreting the questions. I want a break down of practicing vs non-practicing. That's the data I WANT, and as such that should be clear.

A

CivilLiberty said:
Then you are misinterpreting the questions. I want a break down of practicing vs non-practicing. That's the data I WANT, and as such that should be clear.

A

Andy, if that's the case, you could ask how often the Christian members of the board attend services.

Forum List

Back