Are we there yet? Is this Too Much Government?

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
CA wants to regulate the size of your TV. Is this too much even for Libruls?

"California appears poised to be first to ban power-guzzling big-screen TVs
Industry lobbying efforts appear to elicit little sympathy from the state Energy Commission, which may vote as soon as Nov. 4.

The proposed ban on electricity-guzzling big-screen TVs could result in average first-year savings of $30 per set in California. (Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times / September 17, 2009)
By Marc Lifsher

October 14, 2009

Reporting from Sacramento - The influential lobby group Consumer Electronics Assn. is fighting what appears to be a losing battle to dissuade California regulators from passing the nation's first ban on energy-hungry big-screen televisions."

California appears poised to be first to ban power-guzzling big-screen TVs -- latimes.com

Can I have a ginormous electricity sucking TV if I promise to watch it only once a month?

I'm glad I left that state and raised my children someplace else.

"We can't drive our SUVs, eat whatever we want and keep our thermostats at 72 degrees and expect other countries to think that's ok.. That's not leadership. That's not going to happen.".. Barack Hussein Obama

Are we there yet? Is this Too Much Government?

No sir.

According to the "Parasites of the Word Unite.org " every American household should have, at the very least, one bureaucrat to guide our every step.

We do not need TV's - what we need is a state official in our living rooms entertaining us with government supremacy propaganda.

Our founding father , Karl Marx, stated:

"The proletariat will use its political supremacy to wrest, by degree, all capital from the bourgeoisie, to centralize all instruments of production in the hands of the state…"

So hang in there , there is more to come.......

"We can't drive our SUVs, eat whatever we want and keep our thermostats at 72 degrees and expect other countries to think that's ok.. That's not leadership. That's not going to happen.".. Barack Hussein Obama

Telling me what I can or cannot drive, what I can or cannot eat, what temperature I should keep my house at, is not leadership, it's fascism.....MountainMan

I live in the nanny state of NJ. I just read that there is a proposal to ban fake electronic cigarettes Some politicians don't think they look nice or some shit.

A few months ago they tried to ban bikini waxes. Some politicians didn't preferred the bush.

Teenagers can now be arrested for smoking. Like our cops don't have enough to do.

These idiots once again demonstrate their complete cluelessness.

PLASMA TVs are indeed power-hungry. 400-500 watts is pretty typical for these. BUT technology has trumped this type of set, making it basically a dinosaur. Example: Today's LED sets are typically 80-100 watters. This beats even the LCDs, which are on their way to fossilville as well.

Improvements in technology have made this idiotic proposed legislation a dinosaur before it's even passed.

I suppose we're about to see "cash for TVs" which will pay you to turn in your old 50-inch plasma to get a LED that cannot be over 32 inches.

I live in the nanny state of NJ. I just read that there is a proposal to ban fake electronic cigarettes Some politicians don't think they look nice or some shit.

A few months ago they tried to ban bikini waxes. Some politicians didn't preferred the bush.

Teenagers can now be arrested for smoking. Like our cops don't have enough to do.

Yeah, they don't bring in the tax revenue like real cigarettes.

PLASMA TVs are indeed power-hungry. 400-500 watts is pretty typical for these. BUT technology has trumped this type of set, making it basically a dinosaur. Example: Today's LED sets are typically 80-100 watters. This beats even the LCDs, which are on their way to fossilville as well.

Improvements in technology have made this idiotic proposed legislation a dinosaur before it's even passed.

I suppose we're about to see "cash for TVs" which will pay you to turn in your old 50-inch plasma to get a LED that cannot be over 32 inches.

Cash for refrigerators. Trade in your old electricity sucking fridge for an ice chest.

Cash for refrigerators. Trade in your old electricity sucking fridge for an ice chest.
Can't be ice! Takes way too much power to make it! And dry ice? Nahhhh.... That's CO2 baby! Can't have that either!

From the posted article...

An estimated 35 million TVs and related electronic devices account for about 10% of all household electricity consumption, the Energy Commission staff reported. But manufacturers quickly are coming up with new technologies that are making even 50-inch-screen models much more economical to operate.

New features, such as light-emitting diodes that consume tiny amounts of power, special reflective films and sensors that automatically adjust TV brightness to a room's viewing conditions, are driving down electricity consumption, experts said.

The payoff could be big for TV owners, said Ken Rider, a commission staff engineer. Average first-year savings from reduced electricity use would be an estimated $30 per set and $912 million statewide, he said.

If all TVs met state standards, Rider added, California could avoid the $600-million cost of building a natural-gas-fired power plant. Switching to more-efficient TVs could have an estimated net benefit to the state of $8.1 billion, the commission staff reported.

I wonder how they would enforce that type of legislation? If they banned sales, you could still bring one in from another state. I'm surprized that some legislator hasn't come up with a proposal to limit electricity by household.

From the posted article...

An estimated 35 million TVs and related electronic devices account for about 10% of all household electricity consumption, the Energy Commission staff reported. But manufacturers quickly are coming up with new technologies that are making even 50-inch-screen models much more economical to operate.

New features, such as light-emitting diodes that consume tiny amounts of power, special reflective films and sensors that automatically adjust TV brightness to a room's viewing conditions, are driving down electricity consumption, experts said.

The payoff could be big for TV owners, said Ken Rider, a commission staff engineer. Average first-year savings from reduced electricity use would be an estimated $30 per set and $912 million statewide, he said.

If all TVs met state standards, Rider added, California could avoid the $600-million cost of building a natural-gas-fired power plant. Switching to more-efficient TVs could have an estimated net benefit to the state of $8.1 billion, the commission staff reported.

And if everybody in CA quit driving cars, they could shut down the oil wells and refineries around Bakersfield.

Anyone want to get in on a ginormous power guzzling TV super store on the NV CA border?

"New features, such as light-emitting diodes that consume tiny amounts of power, special reflective films and sensors that automatically adjust TV brightness to a room's viewing conditions, are driving down electricity consumption, experts said."

The problem is those aren't on the market yet. Worse, it's already "old" technology.

Let's see. "Big government conspiracy" or something else? Republicans always think there is this huge magical entity that wants to spy on them and "find things out". Like "God", but man made. Important things. Like, what they ate for breakfast. What color they painted their living room.

Even the most intimate details. What shampoo they used. Republicans are protective of their poo.

Or could it be that California is the most populous state and is basically going bankrupt? People want their electricity, but they don't want to pay for it. They want the government, that entity that should be "smaller", to take care of it.

It's like what the Republicans wanted the last eight years. Two wars paid for by, by what? Less taxes? Tax cuts for the rich?

So the top 5% buy 62" TVs driving up the cost of electricity for everyone. They basically become subsidized by everyone else. Nice. Very Republican. Very conservative. Heartless and brainless.

In the mean time, there is a lot a new technology already in the market. Check out a hand held laser projector that that has perfect focus at high resolution up to and astounding 100 inches. It doesn't use a million LEDs or 500 watts of power. It uses three tiny RGB lasers. That's innovation you won't get from a high school drop out or anti education Republicans. This takes "school". There, I said it. The dirty word. "School".

Microvision's laser-based SHOW WX pico projector shines at CEATEC (video)

SHOWWXâ„¢ Laser Pico Projector: Experience SHOW WX

At least this gave conservatives another chance to "rant" at that noexistant, non caring huge entity, "big government".

Last edited by a moderator:
"New features, such as light-emitting diodes that consume tiny amounts of power, special reflective films and sensors that automatically adjust TV brightness to a room's viewing conditions, are driving down electricity consumption, experts said."

The problem is those aren't on the market yet. Worse, it's already "old" technology.

Let's see. "Big government conspiracy" or something else? Republicans always think there is this huge magical entity that wants to spy on them and "find things out". Like "God", but man made. Important things. Like, what they ate for breakfast. What color they painted their living room.

Even the most intimate details. What shampoo they used. Republicans are protective of their poo.

Or could it be that California is the most populous state and is basically going bankrupt? People want their electricity, but they don't want to pay for it. They want the government, that entity that should be "smaller", to take care of it.

It's like what the Republicans wanted the last eight years. Two wars paid for by, by what? Less taxes? Tax cuts for the rich?

So the top 5% buy 62" TVs driving up the cost of electricity for everyone. They basically become subsidized by everyone else. Nice. Very Republican. Very conservative. Heartless and brainless.

In the mean time, there is a lot a new technology already in the market. Check out a hand held laser projector that that has perfect focus at high resolution up to and astounding 100 inches. It doesn't use a million LEDs or 500 watts of power. It uses three tiny RGB lasers. That's innovation you won't get from a high school drop out or anti education Republicans. This takes "school". There, I said it. The dirty word. "School".

Microvision's laser-based SHOW WX pico projector shines at CEATEC (video)

SHOWWX™ Laser Pico Projector: Experience SHOW WX

At least this gave conservatives another chance to "rant" at that noexistant, non caring huge entity, "big government".

What gives the GOVERNMENT...any GOVERNMENT the right to legislate consumption of a commodity?

Forum List

Back