Are We Slaves?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coloradomtnman, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    I'm awakened in the morning by an alarm clock manufactured by Sony which I bought at Target. My bed was manufactured by a corporation, and so were the sheets and comforter that I have on it, and I bought them all from a corporation. The materials that went into the house in which I live were manufactured and purchased from corporations. The food I eat comes from large farms run by corporations, or is purchased by corporations from small farms, and then processed by corporations, and distributed by corporations, to stores owned by corporations. Then I drive to work in a car manufactured by a corporation. I work at a corporation to earn money to buy stuff from corporations. Then I go home, eat, sleep, and do it all again, five times a week, 51 weeks a year. I joined the military at the age of 18 for a number of reasons, but one of which was to earn money for college. I went to college to increase my opportunity of becoming a higher ranking slave. A higher ranking slave has a better opportunity to buy his/her freedom.

I trade my time, the years of my life, my youth, to corporations (because of which the owners or board of investors become wealthier) in return for money which I spend at corporations (causing the owners or board of investors to become wealthier). Even were I to work for a non-profit, I have to be a slave. And all this in the hopes that I might either start my own business (which still, in essence means I'm a slave, just a more independent one), or work my way up the corporate ladder (becoming a higher ranking and more priveleged corporate slave), becoming wealthy enough to buy my freedom, or finally having the ability to retire (and surviving on funds managed by corporations causing owners or board of investors to become wealthier). Then, one day, I'll die.

Does a slave have a choice? I could quit my job, live on the street, survive on hand-outs and charities, and live a life that, at least materially, is of low quality but with increased freedom from corporate slavery. However, I won't be able to travel to Europe or go trekking in Nepal. I won't be able to eat gourmet meals or sleep in a place that is safe. I won't be able to own property. And, in a way, life in that situation would have little meaning.

So is my choice either corporate slavery or impoverished homelessness? What do you think?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Puppets would be more the metaphor I would choose.

Slaves are valued tools which the masters feel some enlighten self interest in keeping in good working order.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    slaves are people who do involuntary labor for no money.

i really hate misuse of words. ;o(

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    Yep, life requires we all be slaves to the needs of our own survival. :rolleyes:

Go have a drink or smoke a joint, it'll make you feel better.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I think you're being rather hard on Coloradoman, here.

If one demands literalism, then of course the only type of enslavement is that where people are chattel, which can be bought and sold.

But we also all know that one can be enslaved by other means that by taking leegal ownership of people, too.

The phrase "wage slave" used two words to describe it and to differentialte it from slave.

And that is what C-man was talking about.

And I think we all knew that, too.

He wasn't attempting to make a political science point, but rather a humanistic philosophical point.

If, for example, I said that we are slaves to materialism, you would all understand (I hope) that I wasn't saying that our possessions owned us in the legal sense, but rather that we are enslaving ourselves to a materialistic lifestyle.

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    Hey CM, talk to editec. It appears that he has some of the good shit. :razz:

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,302
    You're a slave because you chose to purchase goods from corporations? I don't get it.

Are you a slave to the home-based jerky industry when you choose to stop and grab some from the guy selling it on the on the side of the highway?

There are off-the-grid communes that exist out your way mountain man, why don't you join one and free yourself?

8. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Yes, I understand that manifold. I think you missed the point. I'm talking about how we're all slaves to corporations for our needs to survive.

I don't drink or smoke pot; I just think that these corporations have a monopoly on opportunity. Either you work and buy from them, making a few wealthy people wealthier or you start your own business, which makes fewer wealthy people wealthier. Or just quit society altogether. Not much in the way of options, don't you think? Wouldn't it be nice to only buy local from real individuals whose work is directly tied to their quality of life and not worry about Wal-Mart or McDonald's ruining your business, your work, and your savings? I think that would create a very real sense of community and strengthen the bonds between human beings.

At least that way there wouldn't be anyone "to big to fail"...

9. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    I understand that not everything is bought and sold or manufactured by corporations, Paulie. But the vast majority of goods and services are supplied by corporations, many of which can't be purchased from anywhere or anyone else i.e. automobiles, tv's, microwave ovens, house siding, fuel, etc. etc.

Even members of off-grid communes drive cars, ride trains or planes, listen to radios, or play instruments (hand drums probably) or use telephones or internet services, among other things. There might be a very small few who actually are entirely removed from society, but, like I said, what is their quality of life? Medicine, medical equipment are produced by corporations, and most hospitals are run by corporations.

You don't think you are pawn of corporations, Paulie?

If you don't, could that be almost like social brainwashing (at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist)?

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,302
    The problem is that you're making it out to be like it's somehow a detriment. The PROBLEM is the regulations that exist that make it almost impossible for competition.

There are other cars besides the big corporations' cars. You don't have to sleep with corporate bedding, you can make your own. You don't have to smoke Phillip Morris, you can just quit. You don't have to watch TV. You get the point I hope.

You just hate corporations becuase they're full of rich people and you're not rich. Otherwise, they provide you with products that you apparently WANT, or you wouldn't be complaining about it.

If you're going to complain about corps having the monopoly on your life, you should lobby congress to ease regulatory standards so smaller companies can have a legitimate shot to emerge in their markets.

Otherwise, all you're really doing is whining about business like a typical liberal.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009