Are we really safer...?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/28/opinion/28FRI1.html?pagewanted=print&position=>A Real Nuclear Danger</a></h1></center>

<blockquote>While the Bush administration has been distracted by the invasion and occupation of Iraq, it has neglected the far more urgent threat to American security from dangerous nuclear materials that must be safeguarded before they can fall into the hands of terrorists. That is the inescapable conclusion to be drawn from a new report that documents the slow pace of protecting potential nuclear bomb material at loosely guarded sites around the world.

The report — prepared by researchers at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard — does not directly blame the invasion of Iraq for undermining that effort. It simply notes that less nuclear material was secured in the two years immediately after the 9/11 attacks than in the two years before. That is a sad turnabout, given that President Bush has spoken vigorously of the need for greater nuclear security and that the United States had done more than any other government to address the threat.

The most plausible explanation is that the administration has focused so intensely on Iraq, which posed no nuclear threat, that it had little energy left for the real dangers. Indeed, the Harvard researchers said that if a tenth of the effort and resources devoted to Iraq in the last year was devoted to securing nuclear material wherever it might be, the job could be accomplished quickly.</blockquote>

Is America, and the world, really safer from terrorism? I think not. The Administration's lack of foresight may yet lead to further attrocities committed by terrorists, and this time on a far vaster scale.

was devoted to securing nuclear material wherever it might be, the job could be accomplished quickly.

I tried to follow the link to see if there was more info and it was a registration form so I ask the following questions.

1) There is nuclear material in many places - Pakistan, China to name two. Does this report cited name anywhere besides "wherever it might be"?

2) Does this report purport to know or cite any credible information that the administration is not pursuing and securing any nuclear material?

I would be interested in reading more as what is presented is fairly content free and unfortunately subject to liberal interpretation (no pun intended).

I will also see what else I can find on the subject. Just curious.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
<center><h1><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/28/opinion/28FRI1.html?pagewanted=print&position=>A Real Nuclear Danger</a></h1></center>

<blockquote>While the Bush administration has been distracted by the invasion and occupation of Iraq, it has neglected the far more urgent threat to American security from dangerous nuclear materials that must be safeguarded before they can fall into the hands of terrorists. That is the inescapable conclusion to be drawn from a new report that documents the slow pace of protecting potential nuclear bomb material at loosely guarded sites around the world.

The report — prepared by researchers at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard — does not directly blame the invasion of Iraq for undermining that effort. It simply notes that less nuclear material was secured in the two years immediately after the 9/11 attacks than in the two years before. That is a sad turnabout, given that President Bush has spoken vigorously of the need for greater nuclear security and that the United States had done more than any other government to address the threat.

The most plausible explanation is that the administration has focused so intensely on Iraq, which posed no nuclear threat, that it had little energy left for the real dangers. Indeed, the Harvard researchers said that if a tenth of the effort and resources devoted to Iraq in the last year was devoted to securing nuclear material wherever it might be, the job could be accomplished quickly.</blockquote>

Is America, and the world, really safer from terrorism? I think not. The Administration's lack of foresight may yet lead to further attrocities committed by terrorists, and this time on a far vaster scale.

Nice wrong apocolyptic rethoric

A report prepared by the Kennedy school of government at Harvard.

Wow. That's going to be objective.

There's nothing to address here. There's no proof of any wrongdoing or negligence on the administration's part. It's just your wild idiotic conjecture. That IS what libs do best. Carry on!

Forum List

Back