Are we really facing a regulatory onslaught in Obama’s second term? (Hint: Yes.)

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
lots of links in article at site

SNIP:

posted at 12:31 pm on November 25, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Nothing that anyone who pays attention doesn’t know already, but a point to which I intend to give unrelenting attention as we move “forward” into the next four years of an Obama economy. It is an indescribable shame that what America needs more than anything else right now is a robust rate of positive economic growth, yet we seem to be doing everything within our power to suppress America’s natural entrepreneurial drive.

Economic growth is what creates productive private-sector jobs, effectively lifts people out of poverty, gets people off of the government dole, brings in more revenue, and brings about innovation and efficiency. For all I can tell, President Obama is singularly determined to do all of the things the federal government can reasonably do to curb economic growth — distorting free-market signals with government intervention, growing the bureaucracy, trying to raise taxes and further convolute the tax code, placing more restrictions upon free trade when it suits his agenda, and perhaps most dauntingly of all, continuing to introduce endless rolls of red tape that pose incalculable opportunity costs upon our economic movers and shakers (and, by extension, on everyone else — because that is what “top-down” really means).

The regulatory rollout on its way is legitimately frightening. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a small-business owner hoping to grow my outfit — already an uphill climb — and then be looking up the mountain and face this tidal wave of hoopla head on. The WSJ explains how the Obama administration put the brakes on their rule-writing in preparation for the election, but no more:

The government defines “economically significant” rules as those that impose annual costs of $100 million or more, and the Bush, Clinton and Bush Administrations each ended up finalizing about 45 major rules per year. The average over Mr. Obama’s first two years was 63 but then plunged to 44 for 2011 and 2012 so far. The bureaucracies didn’t slow down. They merely postponed and built up a backlog that is about to hit the Federal Register.

We’d report the costs of the major-rule pipeline if we had current data. But the White House budget office document known as the unified agenda that reveals the regulations under development hasn’t been published since fall 2011. The delay violates multiple federal laws and executive orders that require an agenda every six months…

The still-unwritten industry overhaul that ObamaCare is attempting to orchestrate, the regulatory discretion of the Consumer Financial “Protection” Bureau created by Dodd-Frank, and the practically unhinged zealotry of the Environmental Protection Agency — these are the biggest three that are quickly going to start wreaking havoc on our economy through their direct actions as well as the uncertainty they’ll produce.

The impact of the EPA’s subtly unsubtle war on traditional energies in particular is going to start eating into everybody’s incomes, and have a disproportionate effect on families with lower incomes who can least afford to start spending a larger chunk on utilities. Here’s just a snippet of incoming enviro regs on which the administration punted until after the election from a recent Senate report:

all of it here
Are we really facing a regulatory onslaught in Obama’s second term? (Hint: Yes.) « Hot Air

Are we really facing a regulatory onslaught in Obama’s second term? (Hint: Yes.)​

Erika Johnsen @ Hot Air:

Nothing that anyone who pays attention doesn’t know already, but a point to which I intend to give unrelenting attention as we move “forward” into the next four years of an Obama economy. It is an indescribable shame that what America needs more than anything else right now is a robust rate of positive economic growth, yet we seem to be doing everything within our power to suppress America’s natural entrepreneurial drive.

Economic growth is what creates productive private-sector jobs, effectively lifts people out of poverty, gets people off of the government dole, brings in more revenue, and brings about innovation and efficiency. For all I can tell, President Obama is singularly determined to do all of the things the federal government can reasonably do to curb economic growth — distorting free-market signals with government intervention, growing the bureaucracy, trying to raise taxes and further convolute the tax code, placing more restrictions upon free trade when it suits his agenda, and perhaps most dauntingly of all, continuing to introduce endless rolls of red tape that pose incalculable opportunity costs upon our economic movers and shakers (and, by extension, oneveryone else — because that is what “top-down” really means).

The regulatory rollout on its way is legitimately frightening. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a small-business owner hoping to grow my outfit — already an uphill climb — and then be looking up the mountain and face this tidal wave of hoopla head on. The WSJ explains how the Obama administration put the brakes on their rule-writing in preparation for the election, but no more:

Read more
Are we really facing a regulatory onslaught in Obama’s second term? (Hint: Yes.) « Hot Air

Forum List

Back