Are We Ready For The Fall Of Baghdad?- The US Embassy?

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
It has become clear Obama is over matched at every juncture. The man has an impressive resume of failures to weigh him and America down

-Geaux

-------------------

I recently was in Vietnam and spent some time in prosperous, capitalist Saigon, now called Ho Chi Minh City, and toured the American War Museum. I believe there are a number of parallels between the Vietnam and Iraq War and that history could repeat itself now in Baghdad. Who can forget the former Vietnamese supporters of America being left behind as the last helicopter left the roof of the US embassy?

Hence the ISIS advance in Anbar province to just outside the airport is a direct threat to the Green Zone because their forces will be moving through predominantly Sunni neighborhoods all the way east to the American embassy. They could but surprisingly have not attempted to shut down the airport and here is where the situation gets interesting. Late this week, the Iraq army leadership basically said that unless US forces arrive to help them defend the western approaches to the city, they will throw down their weapons and go home – and I believe they will.

The scenario I see is the first attack will likely be against the most heavily defended target, the US embassy and the Green Zone. The ISIS fighters are not strong enough to take the heavily fortified green zone by direct assault and so it will probably fail.

The US will then attempt to fly in reinforcements to the airport and this will be when ISIS will start mortar fire and attempt to close the Baghdad airport as well as attack any convoys through the Sunni neighborhoods heading to the Green Zone. They will likely be able to shut down the airport, thus forcing reinforcements and embassy staff leaving to use helicopters for transportation to airfields further south in Iraq or maybe even to Kuwait. Closing the airport will be a major public relations victory for ISIS.

A siege of the Green Zone and American embassy will likely then take place and the US will be forced to destroy by air the Sunni neighborhoods surrounding the area from the zone west to the airport at a minimum resulting in heavy Sunni civilian causalities. Once again, more bad PR for the United States.

Eventually, the US may well be forced to close the embassy and withdraw from the Green Zone, which will result in videos that remind the American public of the Saigon collapse back on April 30, 1975. This would be a tremendous PR victory for the extremists, resulting in more fighter recruits.

Finally, if the US is forced to withdraw from their fortified embassy then, of course, ISIS will take over America's largest embassy in the world. Note, this embassy compound can hold 35,000 American personnel and is basically a small city-state within Baghdad that is massively defended.

Are We Ready For The Fall Of Baghdad Zero Hedge

Gonna be amusing to see what happens with online vitriol if by some miracle a Republican wins in 2016 and still can't make everything perfect forever.

It has become clear Obama is over matched at every juncture. The man has an impressive resume of failures to weigh him and America down

-Geaux

-------------------

I recently was in Vietnam and spent some time in prosperous, capitalist Saigon, now called Ho Chi Minh City, and toured the American War Museum. I believe there are a number of parallels between the Vietnam and Iraq War and that history could repeat itself now in Baghdad. Who can forget the former Vietnamese supporters of America being left behind as the last helicopter left the roof of the US embassy?

The thing was, most of those supporters were fleeing because their fellow Vietnamese were going to kill them.

Which is what happens to Quislings after you get rid of an occupation government.

We had no business being in the middle of a Vietnamese Civil War 50 years ago, and we have no business being in the middle of an Iraqi Civil War today.

But if you feel otherwise, then you and Bill Kristol and and a bunch of other Right Wingers should take your guns and form an "Abraham Lincoln Brigade" to fight for.... Oh, wait, we don't know who we are fighting for.

The other choices over there are the Pro-Iranian Shi'ite Government and the Communist dominated Kurdish separatists. All the choices there kind of suck.

And unlike the Vietnamese, they don't have hot women over there who will love you long time. Nor really a compelling American national interest.

Val Jarrett is holding off the attack until after the November elections. It's going to be bad enough as it is. If her ISIS troops take Baghdad -- well it just totally throws away all the blood and sacrifice and may cost the Dems another Congressional seat or two

Val Jarrett is holding off the attack until after the November elections. It's going to be bad enough as it is. If her ISIS troops take Baghdad -- well it just totally throws away all the blood and sacrifice and may cost the Dems another Congressional seat or two

You really honestly thing most Americans care if Baghdad falls?

Not that there's really any danger of this. The Shi'ites won't fight for Mosul or Tikrit, but they will fight for Baghdad.

Will Obama let ISIS burn the American flag and raise the black flag of death at the US Embassy?

-Geaux

You really honestly thing most Americans care if Baghdad falls?

Not that there's really any danger of this. The Shi'ites won't fight for Mosul or Tikrit, but they will fight for Baghdad.

You should go tell that to someone who served in Iraq

I don't think the pres lied, but was foolishly misled by very bad military intelligence.

I have had several Iraq vets tell me the war was a mistake, the first ones expressing doubt in 2006 in a returning Arkansas unit returning from the ME.

I believe there are a number of parallels between the Vietnam and Iraq War

Sure are.
You entered both wars as aggressors, and got your arse kicked in both.
The first was proven by history to have been entered on fake ideas, as was the Iraq war.
Both helped the American body bag industry.

And more to consider.

-Geaux

===============================

If ISIS Captures Baghdad, Terror Takes a Giant Step Forward

For 10 months, the Iraqi government forces supported by the Shiite militias battled ISIS near Baghdad and nationwide with little success. Meanwhile, ISIS has been drawing closer to the capital. It took control of the city of Fallujah, just 40 miles to the west of Baghdad, and parts of the city of Ramadi in Anbar province in January of this year. Whether the Iraqi forces have the training or even the will to stop ISIS is one of the big questions facing the Iraqi government, its allies in the Mideast, and certainly the United states, which has sacrificed more than any other nation to see a democratic Iraq.

Still, the Iraqi government forces have soldiered on; they have fought ISIS in Ramadi where some streets exchanged hands a dozen times. But the government at this point has little hope of retaking Fallujah where the U.S. Marines in 2004 fought the deadliest battles since the Vietnam War.

If ISIS Captures Baghdad Terror Takes a Giant Step Forward - Yahoo Finance

and to add

-Geaux

=============

In the 2012 campaign, Obama spoke not only of killing Osama bin Laden; he also said that Al Qaeda had been "decimated." I pointed out that the flag of Al Qaeda is now flying in Falluja, in Iraq, and among various rebel factions in Syria; Al Qaeda has asserted a presence in parts of Africa, too.

"The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn't make them Kobe Bryant," Obama said, resorting to an uncharacteristically flip analogy.

While President Obama and others have disputed he was actually referring to ISIS with this remark, Politifact.com has ruled that "...it's pretty clear this is the group that was being referenced in the conversation. The transcript backs this up, as do news events from the time of the discussion."

Not only did Obama grossly underestimate the threat posed by ISIS, but he's on record in September as stating, "We don't have a strategy yet" in Syria. U.S. weapons intended for Kurdish fighters recently ended up in the hands of ISIS and Syrian Kurds have stated recent U.S. airstrikes are not working. Bush's initial debacle of invading Iraq has now turned into Obama's inability to adequately address threats like ISIS in a timely and effective manner.

If When Baghdad Falls Keep American Soldiers Away From the Mess Created By Bush and Obama H. A. Goodman

Forum List

Back