Are we obligated to respect Supreme Court decisions we disagree with?

I don't see why one would respect a decision that one thought was incorrect. However, for better or worse it is part of the common law now (assuming it hasn't subsequently been overturned) and the only recourse that one might reasonably hope for is to amend the constitution to the contrary of the decision (though that is rather a long shot itself)
Yet every time I watch and/or listen to Supreme Court Justices they all say they respect decisions they dissented in

The decisions of the United States Supreme Court are final and binding on the parties to the case on which the decision is rendered. Furthermore, as to the specific, narrow, issue on which the case turns, it is binding on everyone subject to U.S. legal jurisdiction.

For example, if the USSC had ruled that the mandate of the ACA was an unconstitutional exercise of power by Congress, then the IRS would be prohibited from assessing the penalty associated with not having health insurance. The IRS and Congress are bound by the decision.

The decision can be "overturned" in a couple of ways. Congress could modify the law to make it Constitutional, pass a new law that meets the Constitutional requirements (as defined in the USSC decision), or a later USSC - perhaps with a couple of new members - could rule IN ANOTHER SIMILAR CASE that the mandate is Constitutional.

As a private citizen, there is nothing you can do to affect the relevant Constitutional law as defined by the USSC, even if it is patently incorrect, as it was with many death penalty cases in the '60's. All you can do is vote for a President and Congresspeople who take the Constitution seriously (or for Progressives, who try to ignore the Constitution altogether), and hope that over time the USSC will be controlled by people who share your views.

Alternatively, if you are motivated and unscrupulous enough to consider assassinating rogue USSC justices...
Ahh -- a rant disguised as conversation intended to make the writer appear to be smaht?

:clap2:

Syriusly
Simple question: Are we obligated to respect Supreme Court decisions we disagree with?

Simpler question: Do you? If not, why not? Are we not a nation of laws and not men? Do you read decisions you disagree with or do you mostly get information on them from media/mixed media?

I'm curious because I often find myself agreeing with ideological opponents on issues of law and court decisions.

ex: Citizens United. While I find much of what it allows repugnant, I find much of the decision (absent a few crazy ideas from Kennedy) sound. I ask myself "Don't like it? Why not fight for change?"

I am not sure what you mean by 'respect'.

We are obligated to follow the rulings, not agree or respect them.

I disagree with Citizen's United but I don't pretend it isn't the actual current interpretation of the law.
DO you respect people you disagree with and do you respect opinions you disagree with?

That sense of respect

Syriusly
Simple question: Are we obligated to respect Supreme Court decisions we disagree with?

Simpler question: Do you? If not, why not? Are we not a nation of laws and not men? Do you read decisions you disagree with or do you mostly get information on them from media/mixed media?

I'm curious because I often find myself agreeing with ideological opponents on issues of law and court decisions.

ex: Citizens United. While I find much of what it allows repugnant, I find much of the decision (absent a few crazy ideas from Kennedy) sound. I ask myself "Don't like it? Why not fight for change?"

I disagree with Citizen's United but I don't pretend it isn't the actual current interpretation of the law.
DO you respect people you disagree with and do you respect opinions you disagree with?

That sense of respect

In the same sense as dissenting justices do- sure.

Syriusly

That sense of respect

In the same sense as dissenting justices do- sure.
I guess what I'm always getting at is the loss of respect opponents used to have for each other in the public square. Odd thing is, most of our elected officials respect each other -- even as they use campaign tactics and literature that seem to contradict this

Syriusly

That sense of respect

See -- that's how I inferred and interpreted the question in the first place. But a couple of posters were treating it as if it said, "are we obligated to comply with", which is, I say again, a different thing from respect.

Syriusly

That sense of respect

See -- that's how I inferred and interpreted the question in the first place. But a couple of posters were treating it as if it said, "are we obligated to comply with", which is, I say again, a different thing from respect.
Shooting from the lip so to speak rather than actually reading what you wrote? happens all the time here

Forum List

Back