Are We Nearing The End Of The World?

rtwngAvngr said:
What is restricted capitalism? Do you think our current form is restriced enough? If not, what restrictions do you think need to be in place. And by "restriction" do you mean excessive taxation?

I think he means things like anti-trust laws and minimum wage. In an ideal capitalistic system, the businesses will play fair and there would be no need for such things, but these account for the possibility of unethical companies.

Hobbit said:
I think he means things like anti-trust laws and minimum wage. In an ideal capitalistic system, the businesses will play fair and there would be no need for such things, but these account for the possibility of unethical companies.

Unrestricted capitalism is capitalism that does not used controls to prevent negative outcomes. In some cases, controls are in the form of regulations, which prevent things like excessive pollution, dangerous products, or dangerous workplaces. In other cases, it is in the form of tariffs or other trade restrictions to prevent market differentials, such as the difference in the cost of living between the USA and China, from destroying long term industries because of short situations.

Left unrestricted, the inevitable result of capitalism is that one (or a very few) person will own everything and everyone else will barely scrape by (if they can even do that).

wade said:
Unrestricted capitalism is capitalism that does not used controls to prevent negative outcomes. In some cases, controls are in the form of regulations, which prevent things like excessive pollution, dangerous products, or dangerous workplaces. In other cases, it is in the form of tariffs or other trade restrictions to prevent market differentials, such as the difference in the cost of living between the USA and China, from destroying long term industries because of short situations.

Left unrestricted, the inevitable result of capitalism is that one (or a very few) person will own everything and everyone else will barely scrape by (if they can even do that).

Yeah, what he said.

Wait, did I just agree with wade? Urk!!!

wade said:

We have all of this now. Answer the second part, are we "restricted" enough now in your view?

And i do support trust busting legislation as the benefits from capitalism's competitiveness do not accrue in a monopolistic situation, which can result sometimes.

I feel restricted. Luckily I have a solution.

I am going to put on my kilt and wear it to school with no boxers on.
No more restricted baby. FREEEEEEDOMMM!!!!!

Bonnie said:
In light of all that is going on in the world, do you believe we are living in the last decade or century? Or has the world pendulum always swung back and forth?

We are near the beginning of the world.

onedomino said:
We are near the beginning of the world.

Meaning when Christ comes again after the chastisement, he will create Heaven on Earth??? Or something else?

Bonnie said:
In light of all that is going on in the world, do you believe we are living in the last decade or century? Or has the world pendulum always swung back and forth?

I watch the Appentice tonight and I saw very interesting.

Donald Trump attacked a person who was a national debating champion because he doesn't speak up. The contestant responded by saying that great debators listen more often than they speak.

My strategy is similar; I pay attention to detail before I speak.

50 years ago, you can kill blacks; 100 years ago, your could kill your wife; 200 years ago, you can kill someone over an argument; 400 years ago, you can kill someone because they are acting "strange". 800 years ago, you can kill someone because they had spoken out of turn. 1600 years ago, you can kill someone because it makes for great entertainment; after that, well it's simply, "Me Igor! You take food from me, I kill you".

How can anyone ignore how far we'd come over the centuries? We are morally stronger NOW than ever before; it doesn't seem that way because people are paying more attention to NOW, instead of comparing "NOW" to "THEN".

I personally don't care, for I am confident that I will be very much dead before this happens. However, I do fear for my children's children.

To answer your question, pay attention to what's going on in Iran, N. Korea and Russia. Most important, pay attention on how we handle those situations.

hylandrdet said:
50 years ago, you can kill blacks; 100 years ago, your could kill your wife; 200 years ago, you can kill someone over an argument; 400 years ago, you can kill someone because they are acting "strange". 800 years ago, you can kill someone because they had spoken out of turn. 1600 years ago, you can kill someone because it makes for great entertainment; after that, well it's simply, "Me Igor! You take food from me, I kill you".

How can anyone ignore how far we'd come over the centuries? We are morally stronger NOW than ever before; it doesn't seem that way because people are paying more attention to NOW, instead of comparing "NOW" to "THEN".
The problem is the most recent years. Civilization has definitely made huge leaps and bounds in the last couple thousand years. But, let's look at the last hundred years. Remember that "morality" does not just encompass killing others. 100 years ago, national patriotism was great. 50 years ago, absolute respect to elders and leaders began diminishing. 30 years ago, the idea of rights and privileges became more important than responsibility and accountability. 15 years ago, PG and PG-13 movies were no longer safe for kids. 10 years ago, sex became public commonplace. 7 years ago, the president was playing around with another woman in the white house. 5 years ago the Boy Scouts of America came under heavy fire for not allowing openly gays in the organization. Now, gay marriage is legal in some places, and monday night football is opened with a sexual innuendo where a woman strips in front of a football player.

Anyone who says that today's society is making moral progress is either blind or dreaming. Don't forget that taking another person's life is not the only basis of right and wrong.

-Douglas

Shazbot said:
The problem is the most recent years. Civilization has definitely made huge leaps and bounds in the last couple thousand years. But, let's look at the last hundred years. Remember that "morality" does not just encompass killing others. 100 years ago, national patriotism was great. 50 years ago, absolute respect to elders and leaders began diminishing. 30 years ago, the idea of rights and privileges became more important than responsibility and accountability. 15 years ago, PG and PG-13 movies were no longer safe for kids. 10 years ago, sex became public commonplace. 7 years ago, the president was playing around with another woman in the white house. 5 years ago the Boy Scouts of America came under heavy fire for not allowing openly gays in the organization. Now, gay marriage is legal in some places, and monday night football is opened with a sexual innuendo where a woman strips in front of a football player.

Anyone who says that today's society is making moral progress is either blind or dreaming. Don't forget that taking another person's life is not the only basis of right and wrong.

-Douglas

Excellent points all around

hylandrdet said:
I watch the Appentice tonight and I saw very interesting.

Donald Trump attacked a person who was a national debating champion because he doesn't speak up. The contestant responded by saying that great debators listen more often than they speak.

My strategy is similar; I pay attention to detail before I speak.

I personally don't care, for I am confident that I will be very much dead before this happens. However, I do fear for my children's children.

To answer your question, pay attention to what's going on in Iran, N. Korea and Russia. Most important, pay attention on how we handle those situations.

What the freakin heck are you talking about? We just finished the bloodiest century in the history of the world. We live in an age when women can kill their children and have it considered a right. we live in a time where people can hear about genocide in Africa and sit around and debate whether we should stop it rather than getting off their butts and stopping it. We live in a day an age where hard work is punished, laziness is praised. We reward people for being irresponsible and punish those who take risks and succeed in life.

You my friend must live in a fantasy world. Everyday people are killed because they are a different race from others. Everyday women are beaten and killed because have opinions. yet when we liberate them we are the bad guys. People are still killing others over food. Simply because life is good in the United States doesnt mean the rest of the world doesnt have its problems. Yet if the US or any Christian tries to help people live a better life we are the evil ones forcing ourselves on the world.

No my friend, we live in one of the worst ages of man. Yet conversely we also live in the best age. Because the world sinks into the dark abyss, the righteous will shine forth bright as the sun and clear as the moon. There is much reason to hope. But to pretend we are somehow better or superior then our ancestors, that we know better than all the generations that came before us is the first step into the destruction they wisely avoided.

What the freakin heck are you talking about? We just finished the bloodiest century in the history of the world. We live in an age when women can kill their children and have it considered a right. we live in a time where people can hear about genocide in Africa and sit around and debate whether we should stop it rather than getting off their butts and stopping it. We live in a day an age where hard work is punished, laziness is praised. We reward people for being irresponsible and punish those who take risks and succeed in life.

You my friend must live in a fantasy world. Everyday people are killed because they are a different race from others. Everyday women are beaten and killed because have opinions. yet when we liberate them we are the bad guys. People are still killing others over food. Simply because life is good in the United States doesnt mean the rest of the world doesnt have its problems. Yet if the US or any Christian tries to help people live a better life we are the evil ones forcing ourselves on the world.

No my friend, we live in one of the worst ages of man. Yet conversely we also live in the best age. Because the world sinks into the dark abyss, the righteous will shine forth bright as the sun and clear as the moon. There is much reason to hope. But to pretend we are somehow better or superior then our ancestors, that we know better than all the generations that came before us is the first step into the destruction they wisely avoided.

Dude, I'm keeping this simple; do your research on the Crusades and the Roman Empire; while you're at it, go see Alexander in the theaters.

I'm sorry if I offend you, but I don't buy the idea that our morality is degenerating.

Shazbot said:

-Douglas

Hey Douglas :clap1: :clap1: Fantastic!!

hylandrdet said:
Dude, I'm keeping this simple; do your research on the Crusades and the Roman Empire; while you're at it, go see Alexander in the theaters.

I'm sorry if I offend you, but I don't buy the idea that our morality is degenerating.

Dude, you a frickin idiot i have a degree in European history, you are totally off. This past century was the bloodiest in history. To say we are somehow better than our ancestors is ridiculous. honestly i think we are about the same. the evils they faced are just magnified in our culture by the communication boom and the ability to travel easier. Likewise the good that existed in the past is magnified by the same elements.

My argument is that our morality is essentially the same. you are the one asserting that our morality is superior than that of the past. problem is there is no evidence for that.

There will never be an 'end time' as there has never been 'TIME.'

Humans only assume that we live in TIME that is called linear or one gets older with the passage of something we assume to be seconds, hours, day, years, eons, etc.

If you are a religionist or an aethist, everybody now sort of understands that there is something called infinity or timelessness. Science is finally beginning to understand that there is no matter or gravity or time or anything else we experience with our finite human senses.

These concepts are very difficult to get our minds around but the reality is that none of us really exists.

Where were you before you were conceived? Where are you when you die?

Eventually whatever our conscious mind happens to be is nothing more than an assumption of solid reality for what we perceive as time.

In summary, I don't believe there will ever be an end-time or saving one's soul but simply we are composed of something called FREE WILL and our only business here is to choose our path during this short thing we assume is real time and things.

Believing in a particular god is nice but based only on what tape is played in our consicousness when we appear as young people.

A difficult paper to read but what science is finally understanding with our finite minds.

http://users.rcn.com/zap.dnai/hyprholo.txt
Just my humble opinion.

It's very comfortable to feel smug and think you know all the answers, but the truth is, we don't. Based upon personal experiences, I do believe in a superior being that I refer to as "God." I am a practicing christian. But the Bible can confuse me as much as it does anybody. What I do know for sure is that there is an abundance of mystery in what we call "life" and that the only way I can live productively is to be thankful for what I have, and not worry about an end. The end may very well be a new beginning, or not. Whatever and whenever it happens, we have no control over it, so why worry?

Cameron, AJ is not being smug, and neither am I, but time is an merely an illusion framed out in our 3 dimension thinking.

Dude, you a frickin idiot i have a degree in European history, you are totally off. This past century was the bloodiest in history. To say we are somehow better than our ancestors is ridiculous. honestly i think we are about the same. the evils they faced are just magnified in our culture by the communication boom and the ability to travel easier. Likewise the good that existed in the past is magnified by the same elements.

My argument is that our morality is essentially the same. you are the one asserting that our morality is superior than that of the past. problem is there is no evidence for that.

Av, I don't try to call people out of their names; that's because I'll respect your opinion, regardless of how WRONG IT IS.

Caligula, during his reign, raised monies for his armies by prostituting his officiers' wives and daughters.. Somehow, I just don't see that in GW's budget for Iraq. Yes, I have EURO history too.

I'd explained my theory of history before; I apologize for my failure to be more specific; so please listen as I explain it again.

History is like a chain; loops of similar events interlocked and whose differences are separated only by three factors; the spans of time, place and culture.

In layman's term; the more things change, the more things stay the same. If I had to make a choice as to whether we're better or worse, I chose better.

To say that we had gotten worse only shows nothing but one's failure to learn from history. So I assume that you'd failed your EURO history class.

Don't worry, spring classes are coming soon.

Cameron said:
It's very comfortable to feel smug and think you know all the answers, but the truth is, we don't. Based upon personal experiences, I do believe in a superior being that I refer to as "God." I am a practicing christian. But the Bible can confuse me as much as it does anybody. What I do know for sure is that there is an abundance of mystery in what we call "life" and that the only way I can live productively is to be thankful for what I have, and not worry about an end. The end may very well be a new beginning, or not. Whatever and whenever it happens, we have no control over it, so why worry?

Smug you say? Did I say that I know all the answers?

Did I say that there was no superior being that created this grand illusion for reasons of His own?

Knowledge, even in our limited finite mind, is a gift from that Creator. Get out of your box and understand that the Bible does not speak literally for generations on end, knowledge that has not yet been observed is meant to be understood by each person no matter in which century he lives.

If you are a Christian, then you must believe that your own god exists in a timeless dimension and for His creations may just as well live in that same dimension of which mankind now only begins to understand in a very superficial way.

In response to AJW, Bonnie's topic for this thread was "Are we nearing the end of the world"", not the end of time. Time, as you describe it, is known to Christians as eternity. There will be an "end" to Planet Earth (the world), according to the Bible, and that was in God's plan from the very beginning. Our existence here is temporary, and it was meant to be. Our future is in eternity.

In response to your two questions: (1) as a Christian, I do know where I was before I was conceived. I was a spirit being who was a child of God. The Bible tells us we are spiritual children of God the Father, and we are made in his image. (2) After I die, I will go to a holding place for spirits until the resurrection. This holding place will either be a place of peace and rest or a hellish experience, depending on what we have done here on earth. Read the story of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16.

Forum List

Back