CDZ Are we headed towards a real cyber-war with Russia?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'll ask that we keep American partisan politics out of this, but I won't hold my breath. No doubt this situation is going to outlast any temporary resident of the White House. The person of interest here is Putin, who appears to have decided that finding and exploiting any of our cyber-weaknesses is preferable to the mutually-insured destruction of nuclear war. Regardless of our petty political environment, regardless of which party is in control.

That sounds pretty smart to me. This may only be a poking-around stage, where they're figuring out how to cause significantly more damage across the board.

I'm sure we've been doing our own poking around, too. Does this escalate to a cyber war, in which real and tangible damage is done?

Last edited:
I'll ask that we keep American partisan politics out of this, but I won't hold my breath. No doubt this situation is going to outlast any temporary resident of the White House. The person of interest here is Putin, who appears to have decided that finding and exploiting any of our cyber-weaknesses is preferable to the mutually-insured destruction of nuclear war. Regardless of our petty political environment, regardless of which party is in control.

That sounds pretty smart to me. This may only be a poking-around stage, where they're figuring out how to cause significantly more damage across the board.

I'm sure we've been doing our own poking around, too. Does this escalate to a cyber war, in which real and tangible damage is done?
The "poking around stage" has been passed, along with the "chemical poison attack, it wasn't me fake news".

Our military already has a Cyber Command Center and a mission.
They treat all cyber threats (including hacking) as an attack ... Whether it comes from a foreign country, organization or individual.

But hey ... When it comes to hacking and cyber attacks ... We are often the biggest attacker as well as target ... Norse Attack Map

Our military already has a Cyber Command Center and a mission.
They treat all cyber threats (including hacking) as an attack ... Whether it comes from a foreign country, organization or individual.

But hey ... When it comes to hacking and cyber attacks ... We are often the biggest attacker as well as target ... Norse Attack Map

Do you think that its offensive mission is, or will be, increased as this escalates?

Do you think that its offensive mission is, or will be, increased as this escalates?

I am certain that what I think is not accurately comparable to the processes and procedures actually in place.
But ... There is no reason to assume that the escalation you fear has not already occurred nor that we are not in combat now.

It's just possible that the majority of results are mitigated because we are proficient with the task at hand.

I am certain that what I think is not accurately comparable to the processes and procedures actually in place.
But ... There is no reason to assume that the escalation you fear has not already occurred nor that we are not in combat now.

It's just possible that the majority of results are mitigated because we are proficient with the task at hand.

Yeah, very possible. Who knows.

I do think that there is a tipping point, though, where enough citizens are affected that this becomes a front-burner issue. Power grids down, nukes down, internet down, military stuff down, etc.

Yeah, very possible. Who knows.

I do think that there is a tipping point, though, where enough citizens are affected that this becomes a front-burner issue. Power grids down, nukes down, internet down, military stuff down, etc.

Front burner issues as you describe its effects ... Only identifies public knowledge, concern and desire to feel more secure.
Those three things are incapable of producing any more effective means to combat cyber-threats.

What the public knows is not going to stop code or a cyber attack.
If a civilian can identify a threat (power grid or whatever) ... Then it is safe to assume that someone with greater capabilities is looking.

Citizens should be prepared for a disaster regardless of origin ... :dunno:
Those who are solely dependent on others or the government (including military protection) ... Could end up with some serious problems.

Russia, China, the EU and who knows who all else

We hack and cyber attack ourselves as much as anyone external does ... :21:

There are multiple attacks at any instant in time.
They, we ... Everyone is attacking/hacking everybody all the time*.

*Except for parts of the world where efforts would not produce anything of substantial value.

Edit:
Holy Poop ... Someone in the Netherlands just attacked the mess out of the EAU ... And someone in China dropped a cyber bomb on Norway ... :21:

Last edited:
What is a Norse Attack, and how is it tracked?

Click the link ... The attacks are identified as to type, origin, target, ports, ip addresses ... And time stamped.
Some are easily identified while other are "unknown".

Forum List

Back