Are We Going to Blame Paula Deen for Diabetes?

Gagafritz

Lady Germanotta Snicks
Dec 4, 2011
Is Paula Deen going to be villified because she announced she has diabetes? Seems like a media dogpile or something. Now we can pretend we all just want to eat lettuce.

I lost 40 lbs on the Primal Blueprint. Fish, Chicken, Pork, Beef with hamburger meat thrown in for good measure and plenty of vegetables. What I left out was all the wheat, bread, cereal, corn, dairy and processed meats with the exception of heavy cream for my coffee. The FDA food pyramid will kill you. But don't worry, the FDA has a pill for that (See the connection?)

I looked at Paula Deens' website and her cooking doesn't look bad to me. What the fatties aren't telling you is that they are binging on Little Debbie snack cakes, candy and processed junk food. THAT'S what's making them fat.

I never count calories but my weight went from 226 to 186 in about 5 months.

She is certainly responsible for her own diabetes! Now she should release her cholesterol levels.

Deep fried cheesecake with chocolate sauce. Quiche with a pound of bacon. I understand she is reformulating her recipies to make them less deadly. In her defense, she did say that people should only eat these foods in tiny bits, but who heard that part?

She has the right to market whatever recipes she likes.

reading this thread makes me hungry for chicken fried bacon:

300px-Chicken_Fried_Bacon.jpg

Works by increasing the levels of blood sugar excreted via urine...
:cool:
FDA panel backs novel diabetes pill from Johnson & Johnson
Jan 10,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- A panel of federal health experts ruled Thursday that an experimental diabetes drug from Johnson & Johnson is safe and effective, though lingering safety questions must be tracked over the long term.
The Food and Drug Administration's panel of diabetes experts voted 10-5 in favor of J&J's canagliflozin to treat Type 2 diabetes. The drug is part of a new class of medications that work by increasing the levels of blood sugar excreted via urine. Panelists said the drug could be useful in combination with existing diabetes medications. However, they raised concerns about low levels of heart attack, stroke and urinary tract infections seen in the first year of testing. The experts said those infections could be especially harmful to patients with kidney damage, a common side effect of diabetes.

Almost all panelists recommended that the company be required to track those problems over the long term to tell whether they get worse. "There are definitely benefits to this drug, there are also risks," said Dr. Abraham Thomas of the Henry Ford Hospital. "I still have concerns, as many other do." In recent years, the FDA has required companies developing diabetes drugs to track cardiac side effects in patient testing. That's because diabetes medicines are taken daily for many years, and one former blockbuster, Avandia, was linked to higher heart attack risks. In 2010, the FDA restricted Avandia's use to patients not helped by any other diabetes treatments, and European regulators barred all sales of Avandia.

J&J said in a statement it was "pleased" with the panel's vote and will continue working with the agency to bring its drug to market. The company is studying canagliflozin in nine studies enrolling more than 10,000 patients. It notes this is the largest research effort of its kind submitted to FDA for a diabetes drug. If the FDA approves the New Brunswick, N.J., company's drug, it would be the first in a new class medicines called SGLT2 inhibitors.

The agency rejected another experimental drug in the SGLT2 class, dapagliflozin from partners Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. and AstraZeneca PLC, a year ago. The FDA cited concerns about possible liver damage and elevated rates of bladder and breast cancer. The FDA has set a target date of March 31 to decide whether to approve U.S. sales of canagliflozin. Johnson and Johnson would sell it under the brand name Invokana.

Source

My parents got drunk with her on one of their monthly "Gatlinburg Harley trips" last year. My sister is diabetic, so that is what got my mom and Paula talking. My parents said she does not drink like she has diabetes lol

She is certainly responsible for her own diabetes! Now she should release her cholesterol levels.

Deep fried cheesecake with chocolate sauce. Quiche with a pound of bacon. I understand she is reformulating her recipies to make them less deadly. In her defense, she did say that people should only eat these foods in tiny bits, but who heard that part?

Diabetes has a lot to do with genes.

Also your diet

Also your diet

Especially if you have it.

Forum List

Back