Are we getting stupider? Why or why not? Evidence?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paravani, Oct 15, 2012.

1. paravani

paravani White Hat Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi, folks!

It's my personal belief that we as a nation are getting stupider by the day.

I don't mean that we make bad choices -- I mean that literally, our average intelligence is dropping with every new generation.

Stupid parents are having more babies than smart parents, and our well-developed civilization makes it easy for even the very stupid to survive and breed another generation.

Well, of course that's the case -- civilization is supposed to make it easy to survive. That's its whole reason for being!

... But civilizations fall; and one of the reasons they fall is that their populations eventually become too stupid to maintain them. In fact, every civilization before this one has fallen, and many of them lasted much longer than this one has.

Our world population has ballooned to 7 BILLION people. That's so many people that if you counted ten of them every second, it would take you almost 222 YEARS to count them all! That large a population places a huge strain on the environment and resources of our planet, and if we don't get a whole lot smarter very fast, our civilization will collapse under the weight of all those billions.

It's time to put our collective heads together and come up with solutions that will work.

So, first of all -- do you agree or not that people are becoming stupider? And what, if any, evidence can you present to support your opinion?

Secondly, if you DO agree that people are becoming stupider, what solutions can you propose to reverse that trend? What do you see as the root causes, and how would you propose to address those causes?

Thanks in advance to all who participate on the thread!

-- Paravani

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    This site alone would make anyone think that we as a society are becoming dumber. The movie Idiocracy was a documentary apparently.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    You are absolutely spot on about that, just 1 example my unemployed friend who lives in his moms house has 3 kids, but my friend who makes 6 figures, works for a company in New York and travels the world has none, and doesn't want any.

4. paravani

paravani White Hat Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +188
    LOL! Idiocracy rocked!

Yeah, it made some relevant points, and yeah, that could be our future... but I really, really hope not, 'cause unlike in the movie, I don't think civilization will survive the next 500 years if we keep getting stupider.

So come on... let's hear some ideas! How do we prevent the population of our civilized world from getting stupider and stupider?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Stop paying for peoples kids who can't afford them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    [​IMG]

7. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    How will that increase intelligence levels? :confused:

8. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Well outlawing religion would be a great start. Then a focus on science and understanding the world around us from an analytical and rational standpoint would be huge steps in the right direction. Unfortunately I'm afraid we're nowhere near that happening.

9. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Is STUPIDER a word? - Yahoo! Answers

"Is STUPIDER a word?
    I'm arguing with my friend about this... someone just help me out."

"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
    NO. You cannot be stupider than somebody else but you can be more stupid than somebody else."

10. RosieS

RosieS Partisan Courtesan Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Just look at the posters here who, despite having had years of access to the truth, still insist that Obama is "a Kenyan Muslin socailist facist".

I think nutrition of pregnant women and children have a LOT to do with it. (And it is Red Staters that birth those babies when they are still teens). Ban junk food and expand WIC to have a national Wheels on Meals type program delivering 3 nutritious meals to pregnant women and children 16 and under daily. The future national IQ (and teeth) depend on sugar free meals.

Regards from Rosie