Are we breeding a population of uneducated people?

There have always been cantankerous cranks standing around on the sidelines in sandals and dark socks, Bermuda shorts pulled up to their armpits, griping and sputtering about "them darn kids!" and "it ain't like in my day, I tell ya!" and we have always pushed on regardless. We have ample greatness yet to come.

I often see statistics showing that highly educated people are more likely to not have children or have less children than uneducated people. It would seem then, that the root cause of many of our problems is that the educated are simply outnumbered by the uneducated populous. Are we getting buried in ignorance because of the fools having 3-5 kids?

You are going to have kids that are "uneducated" due to over testing. Memorize facts, regurgitate facts, pass test, forget facts in order to memorize new facts. No critical thinking.

And it isn't the teachers, it isn't the unions, it isn't necessarily the parents and it isn't necessarily the kids. It is the pursuit of business and profiting off of education. Korean kids face the same issues.

Korean kids face the same issues.

Oh, you mean those students against whom American students are so often so unfavorably compared? Testing and recalling facts seems to work out very well for a lot of students around the world in several ways.

Just take a look around this board and count how many people can't make a sensible argument, and you judge whether the education system is producing intelligent people.

Oh, you mean those students against whom American students are so often so unfavorably compared? Testing and recalling facts seems to work out very well for a lot of students around the world in several ways.

How so?

There is a big push on to improve STEM because American students tend to rank so poorly in those areas compared to other countries - particularly those where high-stakes testing and a hell of a lot of hard work (that pesky 'remembering stuff') are conspicuous characteristics of the educational system.

How so?

There is a big push on to improve STEM because American students tend to rank so poorly in those areas compared to other countries - particularly those where high-stakes testing and a hell of a lot of hard work (that pesky 'remembering stuff') are conspicuous characteristics of the educational system.

What can you tell me about the comparison? What do you know about the evaluation itself?

Forum List

Back