Are We Alone?

Probably not. The Drake Equation seems to imply we should have a universe teeming with life.

There's two problems though:

1. The Universal speed limit, c, means communication is unlikely given the distances. It is possible we'll use the time dilation effects of near luminal travel to one day head out and meet them, but the energy required to do so will be enormous.

2. The Fermi Paradox: Even with the great distances, we should have seen some indication of life in the universe. The fact it certainly looks barren is deeply troubling. I fear that one day we'll understand all too well the resolution of the Fermi Paradox.

Last edited:
Probably not. The Drake Equation seems to imply we should have a universe teeming with life.

1. The Universal speed limit, c, means communication is unlikely given the distances. It is possible we'll use the time dilation effects of near luminal travel to one day head out and meet them, but the energy required to do so will be enormous.

2. The Fermi Paradox: Even with the great distances, we should have seen some indication of life in the universe. The fact it certainly looks barren is deeply troubling. I fear that one day we'll understand all too well the resolution of the Fermi Paradox.

I don't think we necessarily should have seen indication, per your numeral deux.

I don't think we necessarily should have seen indication, per your numeral deux.

Why not, G.T.?

Why not, G.T.?

Because of the vastness of space of course.

If Einstein had it right, and no one can travel beyond the speed of light. Then there could be literally tons of Civilizations out there, and we might never know it.

Why not, G.T.?

I don't know, his #1 says it nicely for me I think. *shrug*

Why not, G.T.?

Because of the vastness of space of course.

If Einstein had it right, and no one can travel beyond the speed of light. Then there could be literally tons of Civilizations out there, and we might never know it.

You should check out some calculations on Von Neumann machines. It turns out even without the ability to break c the universe should have a ton of these things running around. Unless intelligent life forms are smart enough not to build self replicating machines.

Part of the Fermi Paradox centers on the idea that when you look at the age of the Universe, we're pretty late in the game. The idea you're talking about has been given as one potential resolution of the Fermi Paradox, namely since the distance is so vast, and information can spread only so quick, its possible that all the intelligent civilizations are at roughly the same development level and as such the information just hasn't reached us. Yet.

It is also possible we're ahead of the curve, i.e. we're the first. That would actually be very troubling because again, the Universe is already pretty old.

I've always found the Fermi paradox... troubling, but interesting. It seems any resolution of it is a bit disturbing.

how can you deny that other life exists? if you accept that...then you must accept that we are on the higher end of the scale. there is some theory that man is or was a race developed to serve aliens if that is true why havent they returned? did they lose the ability to travel? i would doubt that. even if we are years behind them...we can still be used and exploited...so then one might say...they are too advanced to do that..then why not help us. leap us ahead in curing cancer etc..perhaps they know the only co existence is the elimation of man... surely if there is a more advanced civilization out there..they have seen us..they have heard us...and elected what? not to answer...or are they answering and we just dont get it...i think not...if they are that advanced they would taylor their answer to us.

but then you have the question of time...and the measurement of time...perhaps this few centuries has just been a brief time to an advanced race or culture.

we could be some kid's ant farm for all we know

Yes, just like the Twilight Zone episode!

Stopover in a Quiet Town!

Last edited:
I have thought often, for many many years now, that I would write a sci fi book on it....

the aliens and ufo's are really "us" of the future, and that they are time traveling back to our time and NOT from a kazillion, million light years away...they are humanoid "grays" because we went through some kind of catastrophe, maybe nuclear, maybe a big asteroid hit, that blocked the sun out or forced us to live underground for thousands of years and this is why we are smaller, with big big eyes, as the grays have been described....and the reason we are being abducted is that the future "us" are trying to experiment and get themselves genetically modified back to human's normal seed, before this great catastrophe.

Oh, and the governments throughout the world, KNOW THIS....they know it is the "us" of the future and this is why they have kept it from us and not been too freaked out about all the UFO's.

:D

I have thought often, for many many years now, that I would write a sci fi book on it....

the aliens and ufo's are really "us" of the future, and that they are time traveling back to our time and NOT from a kazillion, million light years away...they are humanoid "grays" because we went through some kind of catastrophe, maybe nuclear, maybe a big asteroid hit, that blocked the sun out or forced us to live underground for thousands of years and this is why we are smaller, with big big eyes, as the grays have been described....and the reason we are being abducted is that the future "us" are trying to experiment and get themselves genetically modified back to human's normal seed, before this great catastrophe.

Oh, and the governments throughout the world, KNOW THIS....they know it is the "us" of the future and this is why they have kept it from us and not been too freaked out about all the UFO's.

:clap2:

You got your first sale. When is it being published? I sooooo want a copy!!!! :D

dang, i think i read that book already
LOL

I am guessing, but I saw an episode (actually two partial episodes) of the new NBC show "The Event." I suspect that the "aliens" with the 1% different DNA from us are actually visitors to our age from our future.

If that turns out to be a "spoiler," tough toenails. The show kinda sucks anyway.

:cool:

dang, i think i read that book already
LOL

well, they STOLE my thoughts on it if this book was within the last couple of years, because I posted this idea several years ago, on this very site! THIEVES they are!!!! hahahahaha!!!

Forum List

Back