Are Virtual friends....FRIENDS ?

Sometimes it seems as though some posters are programmed into a system that kicks posts out to troll... :dunno:

I have met a few online that I consider friends... I even crush on a few :lol:

I think so.....

By virtual, I'll assume you mean internet.

and by that guide, I will say no. It's unlikely we actually know each other properly.

Someone we like online could be the most annoying mammas boy you've met in real life and someone you virtually choke out each time you converse could be the best drinking buddy ever.

Personally, I am far more reserved, shy and respectful in real life.

I had to decline an invite to Christmas dinner from one of my forum friends. I am out of town. I will stop by to say "Hi!" when I get back home, though. Yes, you can make friends on forums, just make sure you meet them for lunch the first time.

Last edited:
I think not, as online people tend to say things they normally wouldn't utter in public, let alone to someones face. Imagine all the people on this forum who end their posts with things like ...moron, idiot, dumbass etc. doing that to someones face? Bitch slapped to say the least.

Those who do that are not looking for friends, they are looking to bolster their self image. I would even go so far to say that there are probably alot of people on this forum just because they can't get along with people in real life.

I agree, spectrum, there are lots of people I would not necessarily like to "friend", there are many who are worthwhile. This is more real than some venues online. Visit some of the virtual sites, like Second Life, and see how people would rather be. P.S. I visit a friend of mine on SL, too, although my avatar is pretty accurate, many are idealized.

I think they *can* be, but I believe they are rare (real and lasting friends). Casual ones? Sure. When we read each others' words on a message board, we are forming a mental and emotional image of the person on the other end of the connection. That is pretty much mental attraction, and it's real, at least as real as it can get in a mind. Imagination is real, the question is, does it match the other reality? lol

Last edited:
I've never met anyone that I ran across online..

There are quite a few that no matter if they matched my perception of, would become fast friends I believe..

Yes. And, i have made a great new friend and then we connected on Facebook and now talk regularly.

No. Some of these people would be pretty scary in real life. There are people on message boards that I like a lot but I couldn't go to them with real and personal issues.

Forum List

Back