Are these sports?

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Lacrosse is a pretty killer sport, to be sure. Not quite as cool as hockey, but still a cool sprot! :D

Lacrosse is a good sport no doubt but let me see a lacrosse player tie his hand down to a 2300 lb chute fightin', hookey brahmer crossbred who leaps 3 feet in the air and does a dozen spins in 8 seconds then snorts in your shorts(also known as an ivory enema) the minute you hit the ground. Now that would be somethin'!

Originally posted by Brenmc_lax
I don't have anything against those other sports...well actually yes I do. None of those are sports. Golf is alright but only a hobby. The others I will not waste my time on. Lacrosse is the greatest sport ever. If you don't know what it is look it up, it's awsome!

btw all my kids took riding and played polo. Two of them are on rowing teams. :)

Good idea to get a lay of the land before you condescend.

Haven't visited the sports section in awhile and I'm bored. Thought I'd put my two cents in on this.

All of the things originally listed are sports to me exept poker. Poker is a game. Anything that is 95% luck can't be a sport. Bowling is walking a thin line, but it does take some talent and practice to be good at it, much like billiards.

A few years ago I worked inside the arena during a rodeo. If you ever got that close, you would never, EVER question the validity of rodeo as a sport. The day Tom Brady or Barry Bonds has a 2,000 plus pound bull stomp on their chest and they just wrap themselves up and go to a dance afterward, then we can talk about rodeo not being a sport.

Not to be mistaken with curling mentioned above, which was linked with Scotland, actually I think it comes from one of the Scandinavian countries.

The greatest sport on earth is Hurling from Ireland, it is simply mighty. It is the fastest field sport in the world, it involves two teams of fifteen men with big sticks call hurlys bathering their way around a pitch with a sliotar(more or less like a baseball) catching the sliotar at high speeds, with a goal at either end. I know I am not explaining it to well, but it is a codified form of an ancient form of Irish warfare. Historically the sliotar used to be large stones to take out your enemy at long distance, and then when you got into close combat you smashed their sculls open with the hurly (stick) think braveheart. The nearest way to explain it is some kind of cross between Football (soccer), American Football, Ice-Hockey, Lacrosse & War. Yet the players also manage to play with an incredible grace and agility. There is absolutely no padding used by the players and only about 20% of players ware helmets, & that is a dramatic increase in recent years. Even then the helmets are made of a very light plastic less than about a half centametre thick (or about an eight of an inch or less).

Another great Irish sport is Gaelic Football, which has the exact same rules (well almost) but instead of a hurly and slioter you use a football(round football).

Normally when asked to explain the two sports I say Football (Gaelic) is like the Gods in hand to hand combat, while hurling is the same but the Gods now have projectiles and very big sticks.

Forum List

Back