Are There Double Standards Between The Sexes?

Stashman

No Soup For You!
Jul 17, 2011
America
Do you think there are double standards between the sexes? If so, what are they?

I'll go first with an easy one.

Every woman seems to get pissed off if we do not lower the seat when we are finished taking a leak right? But how many of them lift the lid for us when they are done?

There are vast double standards between the sexes.

The one I personally find most reprehensible is the dual standard that exists in many physically oriented professions regarding the performance metrics required to qualify for jobs including: police departments, fire departments, some EMT companies, the military, etc...

I couldn't care less if a man does not lower the seat on the toilet. I'm just thankful that he raised it so that he hasn't sprayed all over where I sit.

When a guy does the right thing, why would I bitch that he didn't do more?

Silliness.

Do you think there are double standards between the sexes? If so, what are they?

Every woman seems to get pissed off if we do not lower the seat when we are finished taking a leak right? But how many of them lift the lid for us when they are done?

But what if you have to take a dump?

Men don't like washing their hands after they pee, anyway, so you may as well be the one touching the toilet seat.

Double standards:

Women who are tough 'wear the pants/have balls/are bitches'. Women are always supposed to be the weaker sex.
Women who sleep around are sluts (or even on a first date)
Women have to: have great jobs AND look hot, be great moms, keep the house together, etc., even though this is 2011
Women can't get fatter in old age, lose hair, or any of those 'letting go' things that men do so well

The one I personally find most reprehensible is the dual standard that exists in many physically oriented professions regarding the performance metrics required to qualify for jobs including: police departments, fire departments, some EMT companies, the military, etc...

I would have to say that I agree with that. There has always been higher pay for men in the workplace than woman. At the same time though there has always been a lack of woman digging ditches, laying brick, loading trucks etc.. and in the instances which are few that woman do these types of work I think men should be paid more because they are stronger and will produce more work.

In the fields that you discussed though I think the wages should be the same. except maybe for the fire department work.

But what if you have to take a dump?

Men don't like washing their hands after they pee, anyway, so you may as well be the one touching the toilet seat.

Double standards:

Women who are tough 'wear the pants/have balls/are bitches'. Women are always supposed to be the weaker sex.
Women who sleep around are sluts (or even on a first date)
Women have to: have great jobs AND look hot, be great moms, keep the house together, etc., even though this is 2011
Women can't get fatter in old age, lose hair, or any of those 'letting go' things that men do so well

Great double standards you pointed out there.

1. Woman ARE the weaker sex. That's why you do not dig ditches and make your hubby cut the grass and change the tires.

2. If I had my way ALL woman would sleep around, especially on the first date.

3. Woman DO have to be great moms and keep the house together because when there is a divorce and stats show that there will be, they get both kids and house.

I would have to say that I agree with that. There has always been higher pay for men in the workplace than woman. At the same time though there has always been a lack of woman digging ditches, laying brick, loading trucks etc.. and in the instances which are few that woman do these types of work I think men should be paid more because they are stronger and will produce more work.

In the fields that you discussed though I think the wages should be the same. except maybe for the fire department work.

Stash, my problem isn't the payscale. My issue is that these are jobs which have been determined to have certain specific physical requirements which must by met in order for an individual to properly fulfill their duties. They must be able to run, lift, carry, fight, and sustain physical activities in order to do their jobs on a daily basis.

If I'm a 180 lb male firefighter who was made to prove I could carry a 200 lbs to get my job, I don't want to be teamed up with a 145 lb female firefighter who only had to prove she could carry 150 lbs, because if I get in trouble SHE CAN'T GET ME OUT OF IT!!!!! That puts MY SAFETY at risk.

That's just one of the many complaints I've seen and heard from these people over time. I could go into others, but I think you get the idea.

Stash, my problem isn't the payscale. My issue is that these are jobs which have been determined to have certain specific physical requirements which must by met in order for an individual to properly fulfill their duties. They must be able to run, lift, carry, fight, and sustain physical activities in order to do their jobs on a daily basis.

If I'm a 180 lb male firefighter who was made to prove I could carry a 200 lbs to get my job, I don't want to be teamed up with a 145 lb female firefighter who only had to prove she could carry 150 lbs, because if I get in trouble SHE CAN'T GET ME OUT OF IT!!!!! That puts MY SAFETY at risk.

That's just one of the many complaints I've seen and heard from these people over time. I could go into others, but I think you get the idea.

Great point man! That's the exact reason I don't think woman should be in combat.

I have to question the intelligence of any man who expresses this issue in mixed company, sorry.

Really? Why are there issues we can discuss and them some that we can't.

The entire I reason I started this thread is that I have been reading the threads on USMB and it seems to me that folks want to overlook the important issues with just babble. So, I wanted to see if just a silly topic would get get more of a response, and sure enough it did.

Oy... it pains me to say this....I agree with you. :razz: I think if the standards for those jobs must be adapted so as to be sub standard in order for a women to qualify, then it puts the lives of fellow employees at danger If, however, a woman demonstrates the ability to meet the standards, she should be allow to be considered for the position and receive the same pay, but, I think this is rare.

I am 5' feet 3" 112 pounds and I know without doubt I could not perform the duties these jobs require...I know my limitations so, I do what is within my capability to do, change a tire, mow the grass, tune-up my car, fix a leaky sink. Mostly because I really hate to ask anyone to do anything I am capable of, and because generally I can't get it done when I want it done....proscratination on the part of men.

Something that does bug the crap outta me is the term 'Double Standard'. There are standards for women and standards for men, sometimes there's a need to for the different standards because indeed, there are some things men are more capable of doing because of their size and strength, just as there are things that women are more capable of doing because of their organization skills, the ability to multitask...they hold down jobs, run a house, take care of kids, provide taxi service to soccer, piano lessons, dance class, etc., take of their partners, and take care of themselves, and ya know, we're just naturally smarter! (kidding...get grip!).

The thing about the toilet seat and opening doors, puling out chairs, etc., It's really just a matter of courtesy, but I don't get riled if men do not perform these things. I am perfectly capable of putting the seat down, opening my own door and pulling out my own chair, and really, these things are not worth getting your BVDs or Frederick's of Hollywood in a bunch over.

Yes, there are differences. Man has always to be ambitious, make sure, that at least regular money comes home.
If he doesn't hold the course, there's no dolce vita for a man.

A woman's life on the other side can be unsuccessful and meaningless, but she'll always find a man whom she'll "open up to". And then her life is secured.

Yes, there are differences. Man has always to be ambitious, make sure, that at least regular money comes home.

A woman's life on the other side can be unsuccessful and meaningless, but she'll always find a man whom she'll "open up to". And then her life is secured.

Maybe you need a new direction. See if a woman can straighten your worthless life up and make something of you.

Maybe you need a new direction. See if a woman can straighten your worthless life up and make something of you.

I told the truth.
If a man and a woman are to the same degree unsuccesfull, the woman will still have a better life then the man.

There are enough men out there who will settle with an unproductive or incompetent woman and care for the rest of her life.

I told the truth.
If a man and a woman are to the same degree unsuccesfull, the woman will still have a better life then the man.

There are enough men out there who will settle with an unproductive or incompetent woman and care for the rest of her life.

Except the women are smarter, because they can divorce the man and still have his money.

I told the truth.

That's true and probably the reason woman live on average 7 years longer than men.

Oh my goodness, I need to call mom!!!! I think I've found the man of my dreams! *swoons*

My ladies want me to sleep in the middle, and I never get an outside edge on the bed.

Forum List

Back