Are there any right wingers out there who

Zoom

Rookie
Nov 14, 2011
Are there any right wingers out there who actually think the auto bail out was a bad idea. Or better yet, are there any right wingers out there who actually are saying it didnt work?

If so, please explain. I dont see how anyone could think this but please, go ahead.

Left wingers, please join me with thanking the president on making another good call. Thank you sir for not allowing this country to go down the path of another great depression. Wheh, thank God someone not like Bush won and will win again in 2012.

No it was a great deal, for China:

David Drake: GM Moves To China

It looks bad on the surface, but there actually is a reason this is happening. GM is becoming a huge force in China and they will eventually sell more cars in China than they do in the US. For the sake of efficiency, they will need to keep those plants in China operating at capacity which will likely lead to excess inventory which needs to be sold somewhere. What would be better though is if they tried to move these excess vehicles in other parts of Asia rather than shipping them back to the US. Either way, the quantities will likely be small.

Are there any right wingers out there who actually think the auto bail out was a bad idea. Or better yet, are there any right wingers out there who actually are saying it didnt work?

If so, please explain. I dont see how anyone could think this but please, go ahead.

Left wingers, please join me with thanking the president on making another good call. Thank you sir for not allowing this country to go down the path of another great depression. Wheh, thank God someone not like Bush won and will win again in 2012.

Good idea or not you're heaping your praise on the wrong person. The bailouts were Bushes idea.

As far as it being good or bad haven't you gotten the answer in the last 3 years?

Christ this diversion shit is getting old.

It was a bad idea based on the principle it set. One that says the government can pick winners and losers. And that once your company reaches a certain size the taxpayers will bail you out no matter how stupid your business decisions are. That the american taxpayers are now beholden to the "too big too fail" companies.

I don't like the thought that GM can gamble the company whenever they want and I'll have to bail them out every time.

It looks bad on the surface, but there actually is a reason this is happening. GM is becoming a huge force in China and they will eventually sell more cars in China than they do in the US. For the sake of efficiency, they will need to keep those plants in China operating at capacity which will likely lead to excess inventory which needs to be sold somewhere. What would be better though is if they tried to move these excess vehicles in other parts of Asia rather than shipping them back to the US. Either way, the quantities will likely be small.
It looks bad on the surface, because it is bad.

Wait a minute, you say "GM is becoming a force in China" but notice that's WITHOUT MAKING CARS IN CHINA! They're making them elsewhere. No need to move to China except to exploit the slave labor and give patents to China.

WE bail out GM, THEY move the jobs to China. Where's the benefit for Americans?

HINT: There is none.

If I gave you $50 billion taxpayer dollars and wiped out your creditors and bondholders, you could probably make a business work for a few years yourself.

I dont see how anyone could think this but please, go ahead.

Read Hayek, where you'll find out, in crystal clear detail, why government diverting capital to expenditures that cannot be priced may be helpful to a GM employee, but very, very bad for the country as a whole. Lost opportunity costs, future moral hazards, and the damning precedent of government breaking contracts are among the many reasons why this bailout was a very bad idea. Start with "The Road to Serfdom" and get back to us.

If I gave you $50 billion taxpayer dollars and wiped out your creoditors and bondholders, you could probably make a business work for a few years yourself.
So you ate saying thank you Mr. President? Kewl. I did as well. Imagine if he didn't push this.

Not only was it was an awful idea, it was criminal!

First, the companies should have been allowed to renegotiate their debts and finally lance the festering boil of the UAW in bankruptcy Court.

Instead the Senior secured creditors, those with first priority got extorted and threatened into going along with giving the UAW what rightfully belonged to the creditors. Criminal.

It was a bad idea not to follow court supervised reorganization that has worked well for lots of other companies. But Barry and the boys decided instead on a large sop to their union stooge buddies at taxpayers' expense.

No it was a great deal, for China.....

"U.S. exports to it are up 542 percent since 2000, compared with an 80 percent rise in U.S. sales to the rest of the world. Last year this country’s purchases of U.S. goods grew 13.1 percent, breaking the $100 billion mark ($103.9 billion, to be exact) for the first time ever. Now this Asian nation is the third-largest buyer of U.S. exports, ranking behind only U.S. neighbors and free trade partners Canada and Mexico."

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

article-1122463-031F2367000005DC-335_306x360.jpg

Good idea or not you're heaping your praise on the wrong person. The bailouts were Bushes idea.

As far as it being good or bad haven't you gotten the answer in the last 3 years?

Christ this diversion shit is getting old.
No doubt.....eventually, even you "conservatives" will have to admit you've always been talkin'-out-your-ass.....​

2/28/12

Detroit: RED HOT!!!!

"Auto sales are growing so fast that Detroit can barely keep up.

Three years after the U.S. auto industry nearly collapsed, sales of cars and trucks are surging. Sales could exceed 14 million this year, above last year's 12.8 million.

The result: Carmakers are adding shifts and hiring thousands of workers around the country. Carmakers and parts companies added more than 38,000 jobs last year, with industry employment averaging 717,000 for 2011. And automakers have announced plans to add another 13,000 this year, mostly on night shifts."

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

:party:

Last edited by a moderator:

It looks bad on the surface, because it is bad.

Wait a minute, you say "GM is becoming a force in China" but notice that's WITHOUT MAKING CARS IN CHINA! They're making them elsewhere. No need to move to China except to exploit the slave labor and give patents to China.

WE bail out GM, THEY move the jobs to China. Where's the benefit for Americans?

HINT: There is none.

"China is half a world away from the 2,300-acre family farm in east-central Iowa where John Weber and his son plant corn and soybeans.

But 62-year-old Weber is among a number of Iowa farmers who are benefiting as rising incomes in China lead to demand for billion$ of dollar$ of American farm goods.

"There are huge opportunities," said Weber, who in addition to his corn and soybean business, markets more than 14,000 hogs a year with a partner. "Absolutely huge."

:party: . :party: . :party:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZ3oNsMVr0]Arlo Guthrie/This Land is Your Land/Boston Pops - YouTube[/ame]

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

Well, people doubt my "right-Wing" thing because I haven't fallen in line with the weird mormon robot they tried to foist on me, but let me take a whack at this one.

Given that the Auto-bailout benefitted me personally (my job for a while involved GM Parts), I can't complain about it. But was it a great idea?

Meh. Not so much. A lot of strings came attached to that bailout. The Government is never going to see all of its money back, and the Auto Companies are weaker.

With Chrysler, particularly, all we did was bail out the company so the Italians could benefit from it.

Part of the whole re-organization was an increased emphasis on off-shoring.

Dealerships were kept open not on the basis of a business model, but on political considerations.

Forum List

Back