CDZ Are there any nations that can help persuade Indonesian government to free Ahok?

Even Palestinians support Ahok.

They're not monsters. I am sure many jews know that too.

I hope they have their peace with the jews and I will strongly support whatever good fate for them

I still won't support Israel elimination and stuff. But I think it's about time they got their independence at least in economy.

Here are international support for Mr. Ahok. Thank you very much everyone

AHOK SUPPORT - YouTube

Many western countries and Indonesian citizens residing there support Ahok.

Thank you. Thank you.

There are plenty of support in Indonesia too

free ahok - YouTube

If Ahok is free, it'll be a victory for all free thinkers in the world, freedom of expression, and freedom of opinion. It'll our victory. Not just mine, or Ahok.

This guy worked 12 hours a day to build my city. I want him free. I am grateful to have him as my governor. Even his opponent do not doubt that. He lost election due to religious issues.

Last edited:
Imagine if you can turn a majority muslim country toward democracy without having to go to war.

You have a chance here

Ahok is a christian governor. He is recently jailed for "insulting" islam.

However, Ahok supporter are PLENTY.

He got 42% vote in Jakarta. 35% of muslims picked him. He is supported by many people. His case, and many uncertainty because of it, makes him lost the election.

However, he got 42% vote against someone graduating cumlaude from american top university. Imagine, a christian chinese governor compete well toe to toe in muslim majority country and got 42% vote against a muslim billionaire that's also moderate. Not bad.

In fact, that's the reason why he's in jail.

Some of his opponent use religions as ways to get vote.

There are people that support Ahok. They want Ahok to be freed. Even though he lost election, Ahok got 4k flowers sent to the capitol.

Many demand to eliminate anti blasphemy laws.

The blasphemy laws itself is problematic.

This is what the law said:

Sentenced to a five-year imprisonment whoever intentionally publicly exposes a feeling or commits an act:

A. Which is essentially hostile, abusive or defamatory of a religion held in Indonesia;

B. With the intention that people do not embrace any religion, which abides in Belief in the One Supreme God.

I know it sucks to have anti blasphemy laws. However, many legal scholars agree that Ahok didn't even do that. He didn't "intentionally defame" a religion. He is not doing so with the intention that people do not embrace any religion.

There is a controversy that muslims cannot pick muslim leaders. However, 35% of muslims pick Ahok nevertheless. Out of those who don't we don't know what percentage is moderate.

If only we have a bit of international pressure to eliminate the anti blasphemy laws, we may be able to free Ahok. You will have an ally be more popular. Less refugee to US. Instead, other countries can govern themselves well too and have little need of blaming and hating you.

What can we do to make this happen? I've heard some international bodies have stated their displeasure about Ahok jailing, including American vice president, Michael Pence.

Anyone else?

I would like to promote this in change.org if only I can make great petition.
I think no government can't do anything. Unfortunately what that judge did was legal... :(

While Indonesia has traditionally had a moderate form of Islam, in recent years fundamentalists seem to be getting more power.

Aceh province in Sumatra has had Shariah law as criminal law for a couple of years:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/world/asia/indonesia-sharia-law-aceh.html?_r=0

Sumatra: Islamic law now enforced on non-muslims…CatholicismUSA | CatholicismUSA

On the other hand, Indonesia does have a tradition of having dictators rule. While Jokowi pretended to be the opposite, there has been a sharp rise in executions for dealing drugs under his rule.

While Indonesia has traditionally had a moderate form of Islam, in recent years fundamentalists seem to be getting more power.

Aceh province in Sumatra has had Shariah law as criminal law for a couple of years:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/world/asia/indonesia-sharia-law-aceh.html?_r=0

Sumatra: Islamic law now enforced on non-muslims…CatholicismUSA | CatholicismUSA

On the other hand, Indonesia does have a tradition of having dictators rule. While Jokowi pretended to be the opposite, there has been a sharp rise in executions for dealing drugs under his rule.

I agree with you. Drug dealers shouldn't get death penalty. Especially the guy that import xtc, a harmless drug. This is another sample of how the majority of people have have major incorrect beliefs without ever checking evidence.

Religions are claims that cannot be checked. However, drugs dangerous can be checked. It's not dangerous. And yet so many belief it is.

As for Aceh, it's only a region in Indonesia. The maximum punishments there are just caning. To be frank, I sort of like different laws for different regions. The radicals can all move there and the rest of us are free.

I've been thinking? Why free just Ahok? Many religions, especially islam, has been used to justify oppression and corruptions all over the world.

How can we free them all?

I am tired of showing "respect" to this religion that clearly have caused the best governor in my country to go to jail.

I hope the danger of religions like this do not spread anywhere else on the world. I would help anyone to ensure this doesn't happen again. I hope the whole world have enough commitment toward freedom of speech that they don't kow tow to any strange beliefs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back