Are there any Chefs here, or has anyone been to cooking school?

Growing as much as you can is important as well for the best flavors. I grow everything I possibly can that isn't so fussy I can't ignore it for a week or two at a time if need be.
Esdpecially spices, they are crazy expensive and nothing better than fresh spices. Further more if you grow it you know how it was grown and what is actually going into your body.

Sure when possible. For some reason the flavor on my home grown oregano has been off the last few years. It has some odd citrus tone to it. I am not sure why. Things like rosemary are fairly easy to grow and propagate. I have probably given away 50 rosemary plants in the last 5 years just from pruning them back and starting the plants. Some things I can and have grown I just stopped because I didn't really like them like cilantro.

whaddya mean no cilantro???

gotta have cilantro in fresh salsa, street tacos, even in wonton soup.

stop, you're making me hungry and I need to sleep

I am one of those people for whom the aldehydes leave cilantro tasting like soap ergo I do not grow it or use it in my home cooking.

I've not had that problem of cilantro tasting like soap but I guess everyone has their thing.

For me, it's fresh peaches taste like gasoline...….but add some cream & sugar, or canned and their great. I love peaches....just not plain fresh

The Cilantro=Soap thing is a specific genetic trait found in some people.

I don't have it, but my Brother in law does.

Growing as much as you can is important as well for the best flavors. I grow everything I possibly can that isn't so fussy I can't ignore it for a week or two at a time if need be.
Esdpecially spices, they are crazy expensive and nothing better than fresh spices. Further more if you grow it you know how it was grown and what is actually going into your body.

Sure when possible. For some reason the flavor on my home grown oregano has been off the last few years. It has some odd citrus tone to it. I am not sure why. Things like rosemary are fairly easy to grow and propagate. I have probably given away 50 rosemary plants in the last 5 years just from pruning them back and starting the plants. Some things I can and have grown I just stopped because I didn't really like them like cilantro.

I am one of those people for whom the aldehydes leave cilantro tasting like soap ergo I do not grow it or use it in my home cooking.

I've not had that problem of cilantro tasting like soap but I guess everyone has their thing.

For me, it's fresh peaches taste like gasoline...….but add some cream & sugar, or canned and their great. I love peaches....just not plain fresh

Never heard of that with peaches. Wonder why. The palate is a funny thing. Another thing I am weird about is the taste of raisins. I despise them.

Cilantro is a big part of my crop. I use it when I make salsa and alot of it. Tablespoons, the shit is expensive. Not a salsa fan huh? I grow cilantro,thyme,oregano,basil,mint, black and cayanne pepper. Keep that mint off the ground or that shit will take over. Not sure what is causing that citris tone except obvioulsy citric acid but I do not understand why it is producing it. I will look into it for you.

How the heck do you grow the black peppercorns??? I've never seen the seed or plant.

As for the citrus flavor......it's possible that's the variety of the plant. IF the start came from a nursery, somebody may have mixed up the labels :dunno:

OH, and in general......bay leaves...….not sure they add any flavor of their own, but definitely add or enhance the flavors of other ingredients. Usually best used in those low n slow dishes
Peppercorn Seeds - BLACK PEPPER - Member of the Climbing Vine Family - 50+ Seeds
Thats one way I get clones from my aunt.

holy crap those things would outgrow my pole beans that can grow 12-14ft high.

Have you tried to save the seeds to regrow your own?

Cooking is a blast. It'sd not enough to keep you occupieds thoug. Might I suggest adding, fishing,musdhroom hunting, ands animal hunting along with the cooking. They all kinds of go together. There is a youtube video on any dsish you wanna try. Some advice I can give you is take goods records on how you change recipes to your own liking. I created some pretty goods dishes that I coulds not reprodsuce due to poor record keeping.,

Cilantro is a big part of my crop. I use it when I make salsa and alot of it. Tablespoons, the shit is expensive. Not a salsa fan huh? I grow cilantro,thyme,oregano,basil,mint, black and cayanne pepper. Keep that mint off the ground or that shit will take over. Not sure what is causing that citris tone except obvioulsy citric acid but I do not understand why it is producing it. I will look into it for you.

How the heck do you grow the black peppercorns??? I've never seen the seed or plant.

As for the citrus flavor......it's possible that's the variety of the plant. IF the start came from a nursery, somebody may have mixed up the labels :dunno:

OH, and in general......bay leaves...….not sure they add any flavor of their own, but definitely add or enhance the flavors of other ingredients. Usually best used in those low n slow dishes
As far as soil I have saint marys silt loam to grow in naturally. If I were to grow it from potting siol I wouold use a mix of promix orange bag and black gold soil. I would add some peat moss for moisture retention. Ph up or down to 6.5

cauliflower recipe
1/8th cup cauliflower
1 pound of cheese
1 pound of bacon
roast for 10 minutes at 400 degrees

Peppercorn Seeds - BLACK PEPPER - Member of the Climbing Vine Family - 50+ Seeds

No, because I know I have them from my aunt every year. Some day I will when my aunt is no longer around but till then I will take most her clones. She has more blue ribbons from the sate fair from growing flowers and other items, I plan to lean on hjer expertise as long as I can.

Never heard of that with peaches. Wonder why. The palate is a funny thing. Another thing I am weird about is the taste of raisins. I despise them.

I've never heard of or met anyone else either.

Anything peach flavored, tastes like peaches with one exception...….Snapple Diet Peach tea has a hint of gasoline. Yep, it's weird

No, because I know I have them from my aunt every year. Some day I will when my aunt is no longer around but till then I will take most her clones. She has more blue ribbons from the sate fair from growing flowers and other items, I plan to lean on hjer expertise as long as I can.

WAIT...….you say clones as in plant starts? Not seeds???

Ask a lot of questions now while she's still able to answer & do, cause once she's gone, then it's all up to you.

WAIT...….you say clones as in plant starts? Not seeds???

Ask a lot of questions now while she's still able to answer & do, cause once she's gone, then it's all up to you.
exactly! It puts you ahead a couple of weeks. She is in the process of recording her recipeis and growing techniques for me. A gift I plan to treasure and pass on. I spend a great deal of time with that aunt and uncle.

I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

Anyone here able to do that now?
Cooking is a blast. It'sd not enough to keep you occupieds thoug. Might I suggest adding, fishing,musdhroom hunting, ands animal hunting along with the cooking. They all kinds of go together. There is a youtube video on any dsish you wanna try. Some advice I can give you is take goods records on how you change recipes to your own liking. I created some pretty goods dishes that I coulds not reprodsuce due to poor record keeping.,

cilantro grows VERY EASILY-----people who find it tastes like SOAP----
are MUTANTS------the cilantro aversion is a genetic recessive trait. ----
based on a mutation of a single base pair (I think) Anyone else in the
family so afflicted? You would not survive in my house

I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

I've been fishing all my life

I get that I do not like the smell of cumin. Different strokes for different folks

you would not survive in my house

One of the first things to do is get the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is an incredible guide on all things cooking. Like an encyclopedia for cooking.

Isn't it just recipes?

pray for your nieces and nephews. I have a thing against something in
Licorice, anise, fennel I think its glycolic acid----but don't quote me

I've been fishing all my life
You will be fine in retirement then. I run walleye and perch charters on lake erie come fish with me in april! Next year I am heading to the keys to mate on some blue fin and grouper charters. Can not wait to learn how to do that and buy my own boat to do that during the winter. My buddy Chriss is buying a 36 foot island hooper for ocean fishing this april and I will work with him next winter. I am stoked to learn it, he sais it is way more exciting than walleye and perch. He sais I will want to do it year around but I can not imagine summer any where other than port clinton. I love the people there.

Cilantro can be replaced with other herbs, parsley as an example.

blasphemer----parsley is to cilantro what paprika is to cayenne

One of the first things to do is get the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is an incredible guide on all things cooking. Like an encyclopedia for cooking.

Isn't it just recipes?
Not at all. Tells you what spices are, their interactions with foods, substitutions, you name it. Read this link. It is over a thousand pages of knowledge in cooking.
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer

Isn't it just recipes?
Not at all. Tells you what spices are, their interactions with foods, substitutions, you name it. Read this link. It is over a thousand pages of knowledge in cooking.
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer

I have an old HARDCOPY of that book----it includes a recipe for
BEAR------starting from the warm dead body. I think "possum"
too.

blasphemer----parsley is to cilantro what paprika is to cayenne

You lack vision.

Forum List

Back