Are The Teachings Of Buddha Incompatible With The Teachings Of Jesus...?

What great insight. I agree. Only a fool doesn't see similarites in virtually ALL religions. But that doesn't mean those religions don't part ways in major areas.

Jesus taught us to want certain things. To pursue worthy goals and actions. The Buddha taught that the key to happiness is to simply want nothing - not even the spread of Buddhism or that it continue. Yet it has grown and spread throughout the world. Obviously there is value there.

You're over simplifying the Buddha's teachings.

The key to happiness is NOT wanting nothing. The key to happiness is recognizing the way things truly are.

Perhaps. I was required to study the basic tenets of all the major religions and a few minor ones in school. I've studied Buddhism a bit on a personal level but have never practiced or gone beyond a superficial examination. I do remember sayings that went along the lines of "He who wants nothing is free".
Also, there were those episodes of "Kung Fu" where the blind guy talked about the mistake of wanting anything!

I understand that if you get something stuck in your head, it stays with you. It's not as if there aren't Buddhist fundamentalists who take the Buddha's to mean, renunciation is the key to freedom.

That's an ordained monk or nun's understanding of the Buddha's teaching.

Forum List

Back