Are the SATs Biased Against Blacks?

Two questions ?#1
Hoo B Matin Loofa Kinn ?
Ha menny dem white prezdens was afow Abaha Linkin ?

%50. You B failinNshit. Werd up ?:eusa_whistle:

Hahaha. How many blacks (or whites) know how many presidents there were before Lincoln? Now we're just back to the bogus SAT study that wants questions hard enough that most students just guess so that the racial gap isn't so noticable. Hahaha

My point is that nurture, not nature is what determines success.
Would not the intelligence of a person effect a persons ability to nurture?
Actually, yes. It's pretty well established that the parents education level dictates the education level of the child.

Well...test scoring wise.

It is a bit of a vicious cycle and has nothing to do with "race."

Last edited by a moderator:
Would not the intelligence of a group effect a groups ability to nurture?

I was agreeing with you. I was just trying to point out that nature interacts with nurture. One of the paradoxes of intelligence theory is that a mixed race child tests higher (as a child) if its mother is white. Another interesting correlation is that children who hear more words, except for declarative sentences like "do this""don't do that", tend to score higher. Yes nurture is important but I have never said it wasn't. But I wonder if culture may be more difficult to change than genetics?

I was agreeing with you. I was just trying to point out that nature interacts with nurture. One of the paradoxes of intelligence theory is that a mixed race child tests higher (as a child) if its mother is white. Another interesting correlation is that children who hear more words, except for declarative sentences like "do this""don't do that", tend to score higher. Yes nurture is important but I have never said it wasn't. But I wonder if culture may be more difficult to change than genetics?
That could be explained by cultural practices, quite easily, I might add.

If the mother is white, the mother probably had a better education and is more apt to pass down the education to encourage her child.

And it is true that children with better access to vocabulary do better...something a black guy discovered...oh, the horror!

My point is that nurture, not nature is what determines success.
Would not the intelligence of a person effect a persons ability to nurture?
Actually, yes. It's pretty well established that the parents education level dictates the education level of the child.

Well...test scoring wise.

It is a bit of a vicious cycle and has nothing to do with "race."

Why do whites from parents that dropped out of high school score higher on the SATs than blacks from families with degrees?

I've no idea if that is true...but it again has a cultural influence. Not everyone that drops out of high school is unintelligent or unaware of educational advantage.

That could be explained by cultural practices, quite easily, I might add.

If the mother is white, the mother probably had a better education and is more apt to pass down the education to encourage her child.

And it is true that children with better access to vocabulary do better...something a black guy discovered...oh, the horror!

Now you're just making things up. I agree that more study is needed on the white mother paradox. And the study on how toddlers acquire language which serendipitously found the correlation between the amount of words spoken and later measured intelligence wasn't by a black although that is besides the point.

But I wonder if culture may be more difficult to change than genetics?
Could it be that genetics is the major influence on a culture?

Probably not THE major influence but undoubtedly A major influence. Not only that but culture is an influence on genetics. The culture of agriculture and keeping livestock has had considerable influence on many genetic alleles even though it has only been around for a few thousand years.

Last edited:
I've no idea if that is true...but it again has a cultural influence. Not everyone that drops out of high school is unintelligent or unaware of educational advantage.

Moving the goal posts again? First you say education levels of the parents is the most important thing. Now its not.

I believe it is both genetics and culture but the reality is that blacks under perform. Woulda, coulda, shoulda don't change that much. Whites aren't responsible for culture or genetics and we have been trying to change environment. What part of this debate are blacks responsible for?

If black folks don't excell at something the only logical conclusion for them and their enablers is "racism". The truth is that they confuse prideful ignorance, scholastic disdain and bad choices for racism.

Forum List

Back