Are the Russians smarter?

Understandable, but did you really expect much more from Russia? Russians are skeptical of Americans, and we are skeptical of Russians. Improved relations between two nations with distrust will take time, too put out a verdict after one speech is idiotic.

And yet we are simply supposed to accept the media's premise of Obama doing an amazing job in Russia with no criticism?

You guys promised miracles. Its up to you to deliver. Im not holding my breath. Because anyone with half a brain realizes that the problems between the United States and Russia have nothing to do with who is in charge here and everything to do with past history of Russian aggression.

I didnt promise anyone shit, :lol: It seems it is the critics who thought he was some kind of messiah and had expectations out of this world. I understand fully what a Presidents limitations are.

I also understand the history of U.S. and Russian relations, Obama made a campaign promise to improve relations around the World, I don't know what IDIOTS believed he could actually do it after a single speech. You guys also seem to ignore the FACT he was well received pretty much everywhere else he visited. So one can make the opposite case that he actually achieved his goal.

Putin was a KGB Colonel during the cold war. If any of you think he is for a democratic society or that he and his Russian ilk are supportive of any American effort to erradicate terrorist activities in either Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq or any other nation forget it.
Putin is no doubt attempting to restore Russia's position as a Superpower, despite his oil-based economy. He's a bastard of the worst sort, and yet an excellent bastard. A first-rate would-be Tsar.

Frankly, if we had a president like Putin, sans the authoritarian bent, I'd have much better faith that we could weather this depression. Unfortunately, he is our rival.

Russians take Obama to heart
President's gentle push for reform apparently well-received by audience

Analysis: Russians take Obama to heart - Russia- msnbc.com

Rrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiggghht... cherry picked quotes from MSNBC, the PREMIER OBAMA ASS KISSING NETWORK.... ppphht.... :eusa_hand:

Obama was outclassed every which way over there in Russia. The little lop eared, no experience, community organizer thinking he can deal with old timer, hard line, commies. This is more like what we got... obama ready to SELL OUT AMERICA... CNSNews.com - Obama May Drop Missile Shield Plans if Russia Helps Against Nuclear Iran

:clap2::clap2: from the dude whose other posts are from the World Net Daily...:lol:..I am laughing so hard I think I spotted. :lol::lol:
Pale Rider--you never fail to amuse! :lol:
Look at the OP. Who do you trust, the NYT or MSNBC? They seem to disagree.

If I were you, I'd read the Russian paper's analysis.

Izvestia

Here's their official State paper. Below is their headline article about it, poorly parsed through google translate.

From left Moscow than Obama

Barack Obama, after his first visit to Moscow, on Wednesday morning, left the Russian capital. In it he left, if not "obamomaniyu", then "obamooptimizm. Should I wait for the real fruits of this optimism?

All those who participated in talks with Obama, said: the very style of Russian-American dialogue qualitatively changed. U.S. President does not come with ready-made solutions ( "Here, we must act thus and so), but with a desire to understand how things actually. The law of psychology: if you really want something to agree, show that you understand the position of the opponent, and then say "but." It worked well, and Obama, with some of my key phrases, he surpassed many of even the boldest expectations. What is only one of its passage: "The Russian future - this is first and foremost cause of the people, not just in the choice of United States and the path of democratic development can be applied to Russia." This and similar phrases, say sources close to the negotiations "Izvestia," were heard and appreciated.

The first material result of this change in tone is already there. This is - signed during the visit an agreement on the Afghan Transit. Americans, it allows you to significantly reduce the costs of its own military presence in Afghanistan (which, of course, it is important for ranking Obama). By themselves, travel to a short route will savings of approximately $ 140 million - at the expense of fuel and other costs. In addition, Russia agreed not to charge a fee for use of its air space - an estimated $ 20 million would seem that the clear assignment of Americans that are good? Yet it is - right at any time to inspect cargo carried by the military. So Washington, after hearing the views of Moscow, did not shout "none of your business, we want to, then vozim, but just made a step towards mutual. And in the agreement are defined and a clear list of what you can carry and what not, and rules examination. This approach is also appreciated in Moscow: one, say sources "Izvestia", to satisfy their own vanity is not going to inspect aircraft, most likely the Americans will fly freely.

In short, they're happy that Obama has agreed to the treaty, and very delighted that Moscow can screen all our military hardware. They were surprised that Obama didn't push any plans during his tour.

According to their survey:

What are the main results of the visit to Russia Obama?

39%: It was the first acquaintance, but the autumn will see real results for "twenty"
31%: Russia had made concessions, but so far nothing received in return
28%: Nothing has changed, it was a formal visit
2%: A real "reboot" of our relationship

Well, at least two percent think this was a relationship reboot!

Last edited:
Makes sense, obviously, the US will send material they dont want to get screened through other routes, while foodstuff, medicine etc. will be transported much cheaper.

In the end, the US will safe 140 million bucks for transporting stuff through Russia as opposed to transporting it though other routes (still, Russia also gains money here, so both sides are profiting at the expense of whoever got the transit fees before) and Russia will not charge a formal fee for transporting aerial assets through Russian airspace, this fee would otherwise be worth around 20 million bucks.

I am totally within the "it was a first aquaintance" crowd.

In the end, Obama saved the US taxpayer about 160 Million Bucks, not that bad of a start.
Russia propably also gains around 100 Million bucks from travel fees etc.

It is a mutually beneficial agreement that could pave the way for more.

P.S.
Short of sending troops to Afghanistan, Russia did a lot to support the US, guess who actually armed the northern alliance? That was until Bush decided to invade Iraq, prop up "anti Terrorist" rocket defense close to Russias areas of interest and supported S-Vili of Georgia who waged an aggressive war later.

Forum List

Back