Are seniors safe under GOP Medicare plan?

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
"The retirees are going to be taken care of; there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it," House Speaker John Boehner vowed in an interview with CBS last month. The plan's architect, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, has said time and again that the changes wouldn't affect anybody getting close to retirement. "We propose to not change the benefits for people above the age of 55," Ryan, chairman of the House Budget Committee, insisted last week.

There's only one problem with the strategy: It's not true.

If Congress were to pass Ryan's plan and repeal the law, as House Republicans want, the 3 million to 4 million seniors left in the doughnut hole each year would immediately face significant out-of-pocket costs. They and all other Medicare beneficiaries would also lose access to a host of preventative-care benefits in the health care law, including free wellness visits to physicians, mammograms, colonoscopies, and programs to help smokers quit.

Perhaps more jolting, the Republican budget would cut spending on Medicaid—health care for the poor—much of which goes to long-term care for the elderly. Some 9 million seniors qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid benefits, and about two-thirds of all nursing-home residents are covered by Medicaid.

Are seniors safe under GOP Medicare plan? - Yahoo! News

And the GOP can't understand why the vast majority Americans are so OPPOSED to this bullshit. I sure hope the GOP continues pushing this garbage. It will send them packing for40 years.

"The retirees are going to be taken care of; there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it," House Speaker John Boehner vowed in an interview with CBS last month. The plan's architect, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, has said time and again that the changes wouldn't affect anybody getting close to retirement. "We propose to not change the benefits for people above the age of 55," Ryan, chairman of the House Budget Committee, insisted last week.

If Congress were to pass Ryan's plan and repeal the law, as House Republicans want, the 3 million to 4 million seniors left in the doughnut hole each year would immediately face significant out-of-pocket costs. They and all other Medicare beneficiaries would also lose access to a host of preventative-care benefits in the health care law, including free wellness visits to physicians, mammograms, colonoscopies, and programs to help smokers quit.

Perhaps more jolting, the Republican budget would cut spending on Medicaid—health care for the poor—much of which goes to long-term care for the elderly. Some 9 million seniors qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid benefits, and about two-thirds of all nursing-home residents are covered by Medicaid.

And the GOP can't understand why the vast majority Americans are so OPPOSED to this bullshit. I sure hope the GOP continues pushing this garbage. It will send them packing for40 years.

It's funny, clowns like you were waving the pom poms with the mdeicare cuts in Obamacare.......

It's funny, clowns like you were waving the pom poms with the mdeicare cuts in Obamacare.......

I missed how Medicare is drastically cut under Romneycare. Please explain.

40 years? Huh, funny to think that medicare won't even be around that long.

But I have a better idea. How about we teach people to take care of themselves and plan for their own retirement, instead of burdening every future generation with the ever increasing costs of covering for their lack of foresight.

Forget the fact that retirees are, by and large, the wealthiest demographic in the country.

Nope...They're old, so that automatically means that they're entirely helpless and are in desperate need of the benevolent patronage of Big Daddy Big Gubmint! :rolleyes:

Sure they are

They are also the ones most in need of health care
they are also the ones Insurance companies want to cover the least

Forget the fact that retirees are, by and large, the wealthiest demographic in the country.

Nope...They're old, so that automatically means that they're entirely helpless and are in desperate need of the benevolent patronage of Big Daddy Big Gubmint! :rolleyes:

Sure they are

Shouldn't Obamacare have fixed that? Isn't "old" a preexisting condition?

Sure they are

It didn't need to be "fixed". It's why Democrats created the well liked program, "Medicare". The one Republicans are trying to destroy.

Sure they are

It didn't need to be "fixed". It's why Democrats created the well liked program, "Medicare". The one Republicans are trying to destroy.

So not only are you saying that allowing denial of coverage based on preexisting conditions should be allowed to continue, but also that medicare should be left as is (ie. insolvent by 2025)?

Please elaborate, your position intrigues me.

I missed how Medicare is drastically cut under Romneycare. Please explain.

I missed how Romneycare makes any type of impact on the other 56 states? please explain.........

Sure they are

Right....The people most able to afford health care are the ones who most need it at the expense of everyone else!

How did such obvious logic escape me? :rolleyes:

So not only are you saying that allowing denial of coverage based on preexisting conditions should be allowed to continue, but also that medicare should be left as is (ie. insolvent by 2025)?

Please elaborate, your position intrigues me.

I never mentioned "pre existing condition". You did. Currently Medicare is a measly 3% of GDP. Health Care cost is nearly 18%. The number one cause of bankruptcy are "medical bills". The CEO of Cigna received a paycheck of OVER $100,000,000.00. Cigna makes nothing. It employs no doctors. Cigna is a "middle man" who makes it's "profits" by skimming millions of insurance policies. This is what we should be talking about. Cigna with their private jets and extravagant paychecks.

Instead, we are talking about cutting the benefits of the elderly. Why?

If we had a public option, we could cut health care costs by what? Half? More?

Look at the VA, considered one of the best HC in the world. They spend 94 cents for every dollar on the patients and only a tiny 6 cents per dollar on administrative costs. What do you think Health Care companies spend on Administrative costs?

Man, I could go on all night. Don't get me started. Politicians are on the pockets of the health care companies. Facts like these are impossible to argue with. It's why Republicans want to keep the focus on the elderly and Medicare.

Sure they are

Right....The people most able to afford health care are the ones who most need it at the expense of everyone else!

How did such obvious logic escape me? :rolleyes:

Is your plan to "kill the elderly"? Don't think that will be popular among Democrats.

My plan is to expose blithering moonbat idiots like you, for the blithering moonbat idiots that you are.

But y'all do such a great job of it all on your own, that often all I have to do is stand aside and giggle my ass off.

This is one of those times. :lol:

Medicare cannot be sustained. It's going broke. Republicans are trying to fix it. What are democrats doing? Typical of democrats their only interest is the next election and how to spin an issue to their political advantage rather than doing the hard work. We have a 3,000 page "health care" nightmare coming of age and what do we hear from democrats? We hear attack ads and whatever George Soros posts from his tax exempt progressive think tanks.

Look at the VA, considered one of the best HC in the world.
Except by the veterans who will do just about anything to avoid ending up in a VA facility.

Idjit.

Thank you for beating to that. I'd rather ask Al Qaeda for medical attention. At least they'll put me under quickly, that damn nurse at the VA would have let me sit there bleeding out of my IV if I didn't say anything.

Look at the VA, considered one of the best HC in the world.
Except by the veterans who will do just about anything to avoid ending up in a VA facility.

Idjit.

Not anymore. Since Obama because president, things have gotten a lot better. Republicans throw the elderly under the bus. No one seriously thinks they would treat veterans any better. For the right wing, only millionaires and billionaires are "important". Because apparently, "They make jobs". Where those jobs are, who knows?

VA Hospitals Are Cutting the Rate of Hospital Infections

Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program (HCHV) - Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/health/14infections.html

And this from the "Bush years":

Veterans Hospital Told to Stop Diagnosing Iraq War Soldiers with PTSD

My plan is to expose blithering moonbat idiots like you, for the blithering moonbat idiots that you are.

But y'all do such a great job of it all on your own, that often all I have to do is stand aside and giggle my ass off.

This is one of those times. :lol:

Is that you "laughing"?

stock-photo-woman-in-outburst-of-hysterical-laughter-white-background-34029634.jpg

Forum List

Back