Are seat belts any good?

http://www.car-accidents.com
The Site said:
Seat Belts Save Lives

Seat Belt Safety and Statistsics

63% of people killed in car accidents are not wearing seat belts.

What does this mean? Typical misuse of statistics - doesn't tell me anything.
Are seat belt good or bad?

Depends. Some people can be hurt or killed by seat belts because of their size or body build or poor placement of seat belts. However most people die in accidents because they are thrown out of or around the car in the accident. That does not happen when wearing a seat belt. You won't be sailing out the windshield or being flung from a door in an accident if you are wearing a seat belt. You wont be bounced about inside the vehicle slamming into windows and frame or dropped into the floor in the front where most damage occurs from accidents involving the front of the vehicle.

But more importantly it is the LAW. Break it and you will be fined. Break it enough and it will cost you a pretty penny, not to mention some insurance has stipulations on paying that include the use of seat belts.

The Site said:
Seat Belts Save Lives

Depends. Some people can be hurt or killed by seat belts because of their size or body build or poor placement of seat belts. However most people die in accidents because they are thrown out of or around the car in the accident. That does not happen when wearing a seat belt. You won't be sailing out the windshield or being flung from a door in an accident if you are wearing a seat belt. You wont be bounced about inside the vehicle slamming into windows and frame or dropped into the floor in the front where most damage occurs from accidents involving the front of the vehicle.

But more importantly it is the LAW. Break it and you will be fined. Break it enough and it will cost you a pretty penny, not to mention some insurance has stipulations on paying that include the use of seat belts.

Well, it seems like a good idea wearing a seat belt. A good explenation of yours too. What is funny here is that the site says "63% of people killed in car accidents are not wearing seat belts." like it means something - I have no idea wether 63% is good or bad.

I hate seat belts. I'm short and no matter how much I adjust it the stupid thing digs into my neck. I even have some kind of hook thingy to keep it off my neck but . . . it doesn't work very well.

I do know that in an accident they will keep you from being thrown from the car and from being thrown around inside the car, and that's good.

As for seat belts on school buses --- I'd like to know why, if it's the law, school buses are exempt. Are there seat belts on public transportation buses?

i dont care for seat belts...i have enough on my chest...thank you...but i do not care to go thru the windshield either....

i dont know about pubic buses...i just find it odd that everyone must wear belts in their cars and use car seats but its too expensive to do the buses...

tell me again how much americans care about their kids?

:) I'm sure there are good and bad things with seat belts... the point I was trying to make was about how the 63% was used.

"63% of people killed in car accidents are not wearing seat belts."

What if only 50% buckles up? Then it is statistically better not to use seat belts.

The Site said:
Seat Belts Save Lives

RGS pretty much said it, but yeah, misuse of statistics, but what do you expect? 99% of statistics can be made to say anything. ;)

Addendum: Actually RGS didn't quite say it. It depends on a lot of factors, as well as if being thrown from the car possibly saving your life. Go fast enough they can cut you in half (no matter how "correctly" it's placed), of course in that situation you deserve it anyway.

:) I'm sure there are good and bad things with seat belts... the point I was trying to make was about how the 63% was used.

"63% of people killed in car accidents are not wearing seat belts."

What if only 50% buckles up? Then it is statistically better not to use seat belts.

no, there is a difference if you hit a wall at 30 km/h or at 150 km/h, or if you are crushed by a truck with failing brakes.

but yeah, misuse of statistics, but what do you expect? 99% of statistics can be made to say anything. ;)

Yes, but it is almost funny! Those people behind the site have all statistics, a valid and good cause - and they choose a slogan wich is totally nonsense!

Imagine if everyone used seat belts!

"100% of people killed in car accidents are wearing seat belts."

but yeah, misuse of statistics, but what do you expect? 99% of statistics can be made to say anything. ;)

Yes, but it is almost funny! Those people behind the site have all statistics, a valid and good cause - and they choose a slogan wich is totally nonsense!

Imagine if everyone used seat belts!

"100% of people killed in car accidents are wearing seat belts."

They do that with all statistics. Smoking, "stranger danger", obesity, etc.. They conveniently leave out most of the story just to scare people into siding with their cause.

Forum List

Back